PowerShot G16 & S120 To Be Replaced in October [CR2]

Quasimodo said:
As things stands right now I am looking for a low-weight camera that I can keep in my jacket pocket (or large pant pockets) when I do not want to drag my 1Dx around.

My thoughts exactly. I have not looked at the Fuji X100T, but I have very nearly bought the Sony RX100 many times. But to have a truly pocketable (exact size of the RX100 Mark IV is fine) camera with top-end specs including RAW images, customisable buttons with similar layout to the 1D X, and a Canon menu system - yes please!

We can dream, but sadly I am not sure Canon are going to deliver. Time will tell and in the meantime I live in hope.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
scrup said:
JohanCruyff said:
Smartphones are cannibalizing the point-and-shoot market.
Producers are trying to explore new niches, namely the 1"sensor one.
I don't think Canon will be able to sell at a premium price an enthusiast point-and-shoot with a small sensor: I predict that G7X and G3X will survive the smartphone era, GXX and SXXX will not.

Of course I could be wrong. ::)

Small sensor cameras are dead to the enthusiast.
they always were really.

however an small optical zoom to 120mm is still better than a smartphone shooting the same picture at 24mm and digital zooming.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
expatinasia said:
If Canon can duplicate the Sony RX100 Mark IV, or dare I say better it, keeping the super small form factor that makes the RX100 so attractive, then I will buy it.

Something as well engineered and small like that with a Canon menu system I recognise. Yes please!!

Frankly, Canon should be looking beyond the RX100 Mark IV and trying to compete with whatever the RX100 Mark V will offer when it comes out. But maybe that is asking too much.

Come on Canon!!

You want a $950 G16?? Sony is raising prices with each new model, so the RX100 MK V might be $1200.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
casperl said:
My S100 will squeeze into any pants' pocket I throw at it without looking awkward, but the RX100 doesn't. So I am looking forward to see what Canon can offer with S120's replacement.

That's some small pockets you have. You may want to get some new trousers rather than worry about how "awkward" those extra 13mm look!! Most of those extra 13mm are taken up by the superior 24–70 mm F1.8 - F2.8 ZEISS lens on the Sony, compared to Canon's 24–120 mm F2.0 - F5.9. The other specs of the RX 100 Mark IV definitely pack a massive punch by comparison to the S100.

RX100 Mark IV = 102 x 58 x 41 mm (298g). 1" 20MP BSI-CMOS Sensor 8.80 x 13.20 mm.
Canon S100 = 99 x 60 x 28 mm (198g). 1/1.7" 12MP CMOS Sensor 5.58 x 7.44 mm.

Regardless of all that, I really hope Canon will do something very, very special to compete (or beat) the RX100 Mark IV.
There is difference between fits nicely and "my Zeiss Lens is happy to see you" fit :p

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Canon was not even able to pull off a competitive G7X [1" sensor]. G16 is larger and heavier,despite dwarf-sensor [1/1.7"]. I fully expect Canon to bring G16/S-120 still using crappy tiny sensors. Of course they'll be DOA. Unfortunately, Canon only learns very slowly ... and the hard way.

You actually believe all that? You mad bro? lol

Canon is very smart. That's why they are the market leader, and can afford sit back and watch others cut trails and do market research for them. Sony can't afford to do that. Canon is the wise old sage.

I was at best buy the other day and saw the RX100 IV for $950 and the G7X for $650. I'd call that quite competitive.

Upvote 0
Solar Eagle said:
AvTvM said:
Canon was not even able to pull off a competitive G7X [1" sensor]. G16 is larger and heavier,despite dwarf-sensor [1/1.7"]. I fully expect Canon to bring G16/S-120 still using crappy tiny sensors. Of course they'll be DOA. Unfortunately, Canon only learns very slowly ... and the hard way.

Canon is very smart. That's why they are the market leader, and can afford sit back and watch others cut trails and do market research for them. Sony can't afford to do that. Canon is the wise old sage.

I was at best buy the other day and saw the RX100 IV for $950 and the G7X for $650. I'd call that quite competitive.

You can't really compare the two though can you - at least not the whole package? The G7X does not even have a built in view finder and does not do nearly as much with regards to video (4K and slow mo etc.). Many say the AF performances on the RX is far superior too, as is the battery life.

I hope Canon gets it right with the new models.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Solar Eagle said:

i bet Sony is selling many more RX100s than canon sells G7X, which is not even competitive against the Sony RX100 III.

There is utter chaos in canon's "G"-lineup. g16, G1X II, G7X ... All of them similarly large and boxy. All of them without built-in EVF. And most importantly: all of them with sorry sub-par sensors.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
I disagree. The G16 offers much more flexibility for photography than a smart phone. I've just got a G16 and I'm finding it very good. The fine noise pattern at ISO 80 actually adds to the picture IMO. Here's one just shot at ISO 80
Why not a larger sensor p&s like the 12MP 2/3" X-Trans CMOS II Sensor Fujifilm XQ2 that is $100 less?

Upvote 0
Very true. Canon has an RX100 II competitor but is behind the competition at this point.

expatinasia said:
Solar Eagle said:
AvTvM said:

You can't really compare the two though can you - at least not the whole package? The G7X does not even have a built in view finder and does not do nearly as much with regards to video (4K and slow mo etc.). Many say the AF performances on the RX is far superior too, as is the battery life.

I hope Canon gets it right with the new models.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have a G12 but haven't upgraded it to any of the following models as Canon didn't put effort into making it better. If you compare it to Sony which has poured bucket loads of technology into the RX system.
I'd love if this upgraded wowed me.
What would wow me is:
Small form size similar to the RX100 IV (I'd accept a little bit bigger but I want to be able to pocket it).
An electronic viewfinder (the optical one is so bad).
Keep an articulated screen that can fold back into the back protecting it.
A really good 1" sensor.
A good fast lens 24-105mm would do.
Some sort of reasonable FPS, at least 5 ideally 8 FPS.
I'd love super slow motion too. It's a gimmick but impressive.
Full HD recording would do me but continuous focussing would be nice.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
Solar Eagle said:

i bet Sony is selling many more RX100s than canon sells G7X, which is not even competitive against the Sony RX100 III.

There is utter chaos in canon's "G"-lineup. g16, G1X II, G7X ... All of them similarly large and boxy. All of them without built-in EVF. And most importantly: all of them with sorry sub-par sensors.

lol .. all of them with sub par sensors and all large and boxy .. right okay.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Adelino said:
rrcphoto said:
Hector1970 said:
A really good 1" sensor.

so basically you want a G7x - which starts at f/1.8 and runs at 24-100mm.

Good call. Some people don't even bother researching the market.

Not easy to weed through the chaos of canons' g1x, g1x ii, g7x, g16, powershot this, eos m that, mark 1, mark 2, mark 3, give us your money, dwarf-sensor suckers, multi-mega pixel, low dr, 100x megazoom, darklens chaos land.

One sony Rx100 IV to rule them .. all!

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Adelino said:
rrcphoto said:
Hector1970 said:
A really good 1" sensor.

A selective lifting of quotes.
If you bothered to check it doesn't have an electronic view finder and it needs a better 1" sensor.
It's poor in the corners.
Doesn't have a fully articulated screen.
At best a me too product and not pushing any boundaries.

Upvote 0
Agree, G7X is definitely a "me too" camera and unfortunately Canon did not bring much new to the market with this model. G7X definitely has issues which is why it has not been too popular. Sony owns the compact pocket market and Canon needs something better than the RX100 IV if it has any chance to even stir some interest.

Hector1970 said:
Adelino said:
rrcphoto said:
Hector1970 said:
A really good 1" sensor.

A selective lifting of quotes.
If you bothered to check it doesn't have an electronic view finder and it needs a better 1" sensor.
It's poor in the corners.
Doesn't have a fully articulated screen.
At best a me too product and not pushing any boundaries.

Upvote 0