The Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM appears to be getting closer [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the most requested super telephoto lenses for the RF system is a Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM. The Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM has been discontinued for quite some time.
We have been told that Canon has prototypes out in the wild and that the lens is a ground-up redesign of the focal length.
The source claims that weight has been reduced by almost 40% and  the length by as much as 30% over it’s EF predecessor, though they didn’t have the exact dimensions and weight to give us.
Weight savings in lenses is something Canon has been pouring a ton of R&D into, and this revelation shouldn’t shock us.
We can reportedly expect to see the Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM some time in the first half of 2023.
Keep a close eye on the sidelines of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar in November.
More to come…

Continue reading...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
This is what I hate about Canon. I have the Ef 300mm 2.8 II. It’s a really good lens. I’d go so far as to say it’s the best Canon lens. Very happy to use it with an R5. No intention of buying an RF version (expecting same lens with a permanent adapter attached). Then Canon come along with an RF version that’s shorter and lighter. Please please please let the image quality be worse or I’ll be tempted by it. How could it be lighter and shorter. It was already reasonably light.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Would prefer 120-300 2.8 or something similar. Either way, unfortunately going to cost a fortune.
I would prefer a 200-500 f/4 or better yet a 200-500 f/2.8-4. I own an EF 300 f/2.8 L IS and found that I was constantly installing and removing teleconverters. With or without them, the lens is superbly sharp. I also own a Sigma 150-600 Sport which I use more than the 300.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would prefer a 200-500 f/4 or better yet a 200-500 f/2.8-4. I own an EF 300 f/2.8 L IS and found that I was constantly installing and removing teleconverters. With or without them, the lens is superbly sharp. I also own a Sigma 150-600 Sport which I use more than the 300.
I have to imagine that type of lens is coming eventually. The 200-400/4 is almost 10 years old.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Excellent news for me, especially with a CR3 rating.

I am definitely in the market for a 300/2.8. Literally a few minutes ago I looked them up on MPB and KEH. I'll be pre-ordering the RF version.
Since you mentioned this yesterday and voila it shows up today with a CR3, I will be compiling a lens list for you to chime in with ;)

Upvote 0
I personally prefer primes lense over zooms every time regardless of the inconvenience.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
This is what I hate about Canon. I have the Ef 300mm 2.8 II. It’s a really good lens. I’d go so far as to say it’s the best Canon lens. Very happy to use it with an R5. No intention of buying an RF version (expecting same lens with a permanent adapter attached). Then Canon come along with an RF version that’s shorter and lighter. Please please please let the image quality be worse or I’ll be tempted by it. How could it be lighter and shorter. It was already reasonably light.
The lens being shorter part, who knows as there is physics limitations unless if you go DO or multiple crazy aspherical light yoga elements. But the weight reduction has been expected ever since 2018 when the 400 2.8 iii came out. Image quality will likely be amazing, but similiar to the mk ii as it is already near perfection; perhaps better corners. Coordinated IS will likely boost things up to 7 stops of shake reduction.

I for one will be looking forward to the used mk ii price drop once the RF comes out.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
This is great news - the EF 300/2.8L IS II was probably the best lens I've ever owned. But "best" wasn't best for me - I found myself using it with the 2x most of the time and eventually switched to a 500 - and that's what I'm really waiting for. A ground-up redesign of the 500/4L IS II would be very exciting. If it was DO and had a built in 1.4x... but now I'm drifting off into fantasy...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... weight has been reduced by almost 40% and the length by as much as 30% over it’s EF predecessor
Weight savings in lenses is something Canon has been pouring a ton of R&D into, and this revelation shouldn’t shock us.
But I'll guess that the price increase of over 40% will shock us, won't it? ;)
But I really hope that they can also do something in IQ over the excellent EF predecessor.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hell that would be only 1.5kg! So I guess I'm not ordering this 100-500 yet!
Go, order the RF100 - 500!
Otherwise get prepared for a price of about 7k+x $.
So you should be able to get at least 2 RF100 - 500 for its price ;)
And it is still at least one year to go... and think about the pics you'll miss until then :p

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0