Preorder: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera with Canon Log

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
You can now preorder the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV body with Canon log preinstalled at B&H Photo. The pricing of the body is $3599, whereas the <a href="https://bhpho.to/2plry5r">EOS 5D Mark IV is $3299</a> via B&H Photo and refurbished versions are <a href="https://bit.ly/2sxK76d">$2799 via the Canon Store</a>. To add Canon Log to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV will be about $100 USD.</p>

<p>However, if you need Canon Log equipped EOS 5D Mark IV ASAP, this is probably the quickest way to get one.</p>
<p><strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2sU3ibq">Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera with Canon Log $3599</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So apparently C-Log rates for getting its own standalone SKU. I'll read that again -- a slightly differently hardwared body is getting its own SKU.

Enemies of AA filters and proponents of tilty-flippy screens on higher-end bodies might take umbrage to this. We're often told their needs are not worthy of a standalone SKU, the added inventory, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I believe we knew a standalone SKU for C-Log was coming. But I don't think many of us would have rated [C-Log in the 5D4] as being a more pressing need for its own SKU than (say) a '5D4 R' or a 5D4 with a tilty-flippy.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LonelyBoy said:
Well, if this is worth a new SKU, then they can damn well make both an EF mount FF mirrorless and one that's thinner!

That's just a slightly different technical proposition. ::)

I'm talking about a single targeted delta to a base design that could dramatically expand the appeal of a given brand.

Besides the various lens vs. body kitting options, which entail putting the same camera in numerous boxes, I've only seen the 'same camera with one small change' done a few times on recent nicer rigs:

• For aesthetic / color / external styling reasons (Leica, Fuji, Nikon Df, I'm looking at you)
  • For AA removal reasons (5DS vs. 5DS R, D800 vs. D800E)
  • For memory card reasons (D5 had XQD and CF versions)

I remain a little dumbfounded that we don't see more of this from the industry, for the option to get (or pay less to not get) 4K, tilty-flippy screens, etc.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
LonelyBoy said:
Well, if this is worth a new SKU, then they can damn well make both an EF mount FF mirrorless and one that's thinner!

I'm talking about a single targeted delta to a base design that could dramatically expand the appeal of a given brand.

Besides the various lens vs. body kitting options, which entail putting the same camera in numerous boxes, I've only seen the 'same camera with one small change' done a few times on recent nicer rigs:

• For aesthetic / color / external styling reasons (Leica, Fuji, Nikon Df, I'm looking at you)

I remain a little dumbfounded that we don't see more of this from the industry, for the option to get (or pay less to not get) 4K, tilty-flippy screens, etc.

- A

That's really what I want - a 5D IV with an articulating and interchangeable screen! Leave out the GPS and 4K! You're a genius!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
chrysoberyl said:
That's really what I want - a 5D IV with an articulating and interchangeable screen! Leave out the GPS and 4K! You're a genius!

There's also an older modular swap-it-out yourself idea I posted (but surely I was not the first with this idea):

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=29923.msg598897#msg598897
(see the longer paragraph near the end)

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

- A

Didn't think that deserved eye-rolling. Wouldn't it literally just be a different front shell where one includes the adapter built in (as with that Sigma you love showing) and one has the other mount? To get the correct flange distance either way, for native lenses or EF lenses.

And yes, it would be great to get the ability to build a camera up from an options sheet, like a car. It would be fascinating to see, as much noise is made about video (4k or HD or whatever), how many people would leave that box unchecked for a lower price. Me, certainly.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
There's also an older modular swap-it-out yourself idea I posted (but surely I was not the first with this idea)

Not the first. ;) Were you aware that Ricoh made something along those lines?

This is the one with the fixed lens + sensor modules, right? Neat but batsh-- crazy idea. However, this idea could get me the X-Pan 'one frame pano' aspect ratios I've always wanted to try. 8)

That said, I'm thinking much less ambitious and in-demand stuff here. A version with/without a tilty-flippy. A version with/without the AA filter. A version with/without 4K. Things like that.

- A

Upvote 0
leGreve said:
I'm probably missing something.... but why does the body with clog pre-installed cost 200 dollars more than having a body without and getting it firmware updated??

Looks like it's $300 not $200 but I would assume it's for the convenience of not sending your camera away.

And as Ash said above could have some hardware to install.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LonelyBoy said:
Didn't think that deserved eye-rolling. Wouldn't it literally just be a different front shell where one includes the adapter built in (as with that Sigma you love showing) and one has the other mount? To get the correct flange distance either way, for native lenses or EF lenses.

Not meant to flame, it's just that I see that as a major delta: OVF out, EVF in, mirrorbox out, and I would presume a crushing hit to the battery.

Canon 100% could do it, but I think the OVF/EVF call is not a sub-product-line option like a tilt-screen, AA filter, memory card, IR blocking for astro, etc. So if Canon did (say) an EVF'd 5D4, it would be it's own product line, wouldn't it?

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
LonelyBoy said:

Not meant to flame, it's just that I see that as a major delta: OVF out, EVF in, mirrorbox out, and I would presume a crushing hit to the battery.

Canon 100% could do it, but I think the OVF/EVF call is not a sub-product-line option like a tilt-screen, AA filter, memory card, IR blocking for astro, etc. So if Canon did (say) an EVF'd 5D4, it would be it's own product line, wouldn't it?

- A

Oh, ok, sorry for being jumpy. And sorry, I wasn't clear on my end: I meant Canon could take (future FF M camera I will call FFM for now) and make two versions of the FFM (one with EF mount, one with EF-M/X/ whatever). Not that turning the 6D itself into a ML version would be easy, but that if they launched an FFM it wouldn't be too hard, I'd think, to have one SKU for each of two mounts on that camera. With only really the mount changing, since both would have EVFs and no mirrorbox, etc. Is that more sensible?

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
leGreve said:
I'm probably missing something.... but why does the body with clog pre-installed cost 200 dollars more than having a body without and getting it firmware updated??

I believe there's hardware involved. Heat sinks, I presume.

Someone here would know...

- A

There should be a teardown at some point. Heatsink would be a reason for me to get it, even with no intention of shooting video: it gets mighty hot here in Texas, and I love heatsinking things excessively. Especially since I've seen some reports of hot pixels appearing more quickly than you'd like on the 5D4.

Do we have published weights for each version? If there's a heatsink added, it'll be heavier...

Upvote 0
Those Rumors really killed this "update" for me honestly.. :/ and that's tough for me to say. I've been so patient with Canon while everyone was jumping ship to Sony and still Canon hasn't brought anything significant or major to compete.. Even Nikon is now supposedly making a camera to raise the bar now.. I understand Canon makes a very reliable camera but the sheer lack of image quality always has me feeling left behind.. The mark 4 is truly 5-10 steps better than the Mark 3 no doubt in my mind, but still remains 10 steps behind Sony when coming to the quality, dynamic range and sharpness.

I feel like if Canon really wanted to take over they would just increase the quality on every camera they have down the whole lineup so that no other camera becomes obsolete to the other.

I guess it really might be time to switch :( Never thought this day would come

Upvote 0
WeekendWarrior said:
Those Rumors really killed this "update" for me honestly.. :/ and that's tough for me to say. I've been so patient with Canon while everyone was jumping ship to Sony and still Canon hasn't brought anything significant or major to compete.. Even Nikon is now supposedly making a camera to raise the bar now.. I understand Canon makes a very reliable camera but the sheer lack of image quality always has me feeling left behind.. The mark 4 is truly 5-10 steps better than the Mark 3 no doubt in my mind, but still remains 10 steps behind Sony when coming to the quality, dynamic range and sharpness.

I feel like if Canon really wanted to take over they would just increase the quality on every camera they have down the whole lineup so that no other camera becomes obsolete to the other.

Trollllllllllll detected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
WeekendWarrior said:

Can you tell me where I can get DCI compliant 4k at 60fps in a DSLR form factor, thanks?

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
WeekendWarrior said:

What quality do you mean? Overheating and crappy weather sealing are signs of good quality? :)
Sharpness? Is 50Mpx/noAA of the 5DsR not sharp enough?
DR? Would you mind to post a sample that's not possible to take with a Canon camera due to insufficient DR?

Upvote 0