Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Or they knew that they wouldn’t get the preorder numbers and needs a bit of incentives to win over those who may be on the fence.

Or someone in marketing felt the need to do something to justify the existence of their position and continuing employment?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I ordered my R5 with Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip,Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R , and Canon LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion Battery . With that said, i need to humbly ask a stupid question, and I hope people can help. I have been trying to figure out which SD card to buy. I know to look for a Compatible with UHS-II V60 or V90 for video. There are a number of designations (sdxc, SDXC2, XQD, ETC.), plus many manufacturers. Since this is a higher MP camera that I will likely use for some video, these decisions are new for me.
Thanks all.

Scott
I'm no expert, but I think for SD you will be fine with any brand name UHS-II card. Ordinarily I only buy Lexar, ProGrade or SanDisk. However, in the last year I've had two Lexar SD II cards fail and my wife has had one fail. I'm not sure the reconstituted Lexar is the same quality as the old company and I'm pretty much switching to all ProGrade or SanDisk. The R5 is backwards compatible with UHS-1, but it will be slower. I believe XQD is a different, non-compatible format.

For the other slot, you need a CFExpress Card.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I certainly won’t give them free promotion by wearing the R5 jacket if I have one. I never use their camera straps.

The RRP for the R5 in Australia is A$7099. Some local retailers already dropped it to around A$6500, and includes a lucky strap and battery.

You're probably one of those who put tape over the logo on the top front of the camera, aren't you? Because you think you're such an influential photographer and all that they should pay you to use their gear?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'm no expert, but I think for SD you will be fine with any brand name UHS-II card. Ordinarily I only buy Lexar, ProGrade or SanDisk. However, in the last year I've had two Lexar SD II cards fail and my wife has had one fail. I'm not sure the reconstituted Lexar is the same quality as the old company and I'm pretty much switching to all ProGrade or SanDisk. The R5 is backwards compatible with UHS-1, but it will be slower. I believe XQD is a different, non-compatible format.

For the other slot, you need a CFExpress Card.

ProGrade is the continuation of Lexar.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I presume you are from down under? I'm like you, apart from the Canon straps being no good for shoulder carrying and not long enough to do cross body, I just replace with a Peak Design slide which is far more comfortable, practical and durable, plus doesn't shout to everyone 'look what camera I've got'. Hate that

interesting that prices have dropped before the Camera is even released, that's a little weird and not sure what it says about the market or perceived demand for the product?

Like wearing a camera on a cross body strap doesn't scream "Photographer with expensive camera(s)?"

Upvote 0
Not to be rude, but if you are going an hour or more, this likely is the wrong tool for you unless you want to buy two or three. However, it looks like a great camera, and maybe if you want it, just get it and you don't have to justify it to yourself or anyone else. I don't "need" one, but I gave my camera bag a gift!
And, who shoots interviews in 8k?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes I am in Melbourne. I have been using the BlackRapid strap and hands traps from SpiderPro. I also have the Peakdesign Capture.

I believe the RRP in Australia is too high hence preorders are lower than what Canon Australia have predicted. Hence the local retailers are dropping the RRP.

Nothing screams, "Presumptuous photographer who likes to taunt overpriced branding" like anyone wearing a Black Rapid strap with the bright yellow "BR" logo prominently displayed on the upper left chest of the wearer.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
...with electronic shutter.

The DR with mechanical shutter is higher, but only at ISOs 100 up to 400. Further up in ISO, the DR is limited by photon count of incoming light.

It's actually limited by the full well capacity of the sensels divided by the amplification factor of each "ISO" setting.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
This "overheating Issue" is getting tiresome.

The Camera is not overheating, it appears to be activating it's thermal protection protocols and warning the user to stop recording or let the camera cool off. If the user chooses to ignore the thermal protection warning then the Camera will shut off to protect itself. This is a feature of the system and appears to have well been tested as there are stated limits included in what I assume is the manual.

If the cameras are cooking themselves without a user facing warning or protection that in my mind is an overheat. If the system is randomly shutting off due to heat that is an overheat.

I choose to assume that Canon being historically careful about the quality and MTBF on their systems the protection protocols are aggressive to ensure the heat soaking of the system is well below the component damaging limits.

In my day job at Avigilon we test Cameras all the time in Thermotron chambers and I have seen my fair share of platforms that do not trigger thermal protection (mostly hikvision) and just cook @60 degrees Celsius.

IMO this has been just way overblown
Let's face it as sure as eggs are eggs there are two things that always happen when Canon release a new camera 1. Their example pics are shit. 2. The internet has to find it's Achilles heal something.... Anything.... Please God let me be the one that finds the fatal flaw..,... Please let me be the people's hero...

Upvote 0
I enjoy occasionally watching Tony and Chelsea and understand due to thier profile need to put out something about the R5 even though they don’t actually have anything to say yet. But I'm glad Canon has taken this approach. I detest how YouTubers hype up their content by examining things with a microscope with the single gole of finding that one issue that will blow up and ultimately boost their profile. These issues I might add, are normally ones the majority of the target market will never encounter.

I transitioned from Canon to a Sony A7rIII (A7rII before) but always continued to use and purchase Canon EF Glass. While I can't fault the sensor with its great stills IQ, its about the only thing I like about the camera and can’t wait to get back to Canon.

I hate adapting lenses and never got tempted by any of the Sony glass. SLOG is terrible to shoot and grade without an external monitor with LUT. Underexposing by too much, even for effect the resulting image became full of noise and as the files were 8bit they could fall apart very quickly. The menu system was a total messed up jumble and if I’m totally being honest, for stills I felt the lack of a decent AA filter could sometimes on certain subjects make them look way over sharpened and very digital looking (aliasing). Don't get me wrong, its gets the job done and very well but its not all rosey over in Sony land as most Tubers lead us to believe.
U use log/hlg assist on camera right?

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Lloyd Chambers is reporting focus stacking is on the R5 but not R6. First news I’ve heard about focus stacking on the new bodies.
If you hear of R5 focus bracketing details, I'd like to know if they allow a +/- focus bracket from the current focus position (that's the way I want to use it). That would be a different option from setting your focus position to the closest focus used in the stack (that's the way I don't like at all, but some cameras only offer this option).

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Customer - "I'm just not sure I want to spend 6K on a new Camera"

Sales Person - "It comes with a free jacket if you order now!!"

Customer - "How can I resist"

You really think anyone gives a rats ass about a jacket? Every year I get my "free" CPS stuff and it just collects dust, ok I use the pen. No way a free jacket is driving sales...

The Aussies are getting a Limited Edition EOS R5 Leather Lucky Strap (Bonus) and Extra Battery. I wish they offered the extra battery here in Canada, that will be useful, but would not factor into if I buy something or not.

Free Jacket, Free Battery, etc are not why people drop 6K on a Camera (least it should not be)

You guys get free ink pens? I'm jealous!

With the the first time we join Gold or above we get a one time camera strap with the pad from the Op/Tech Utility Strap - 3/8" with a CPS logo in the center and two Canon logos on each end of the pad instead of the Op/Tech logo. The detachable ends are like the ones that come with the OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap. Each membership number only gets one for life, though, if they even still do that. I got mine over a decade ago. I actually use it occasionally when I only want to carry a single camera on a single shoulder. It stays on one shoulder well without having to wear it cross-body or over the neck. Since I already have OP/TECH connectors on most of my cameras for my Double Sling which I've modified significantly from the standard supplied setup, I just use the quick-detach connectors to swap out the pad.

I have also received a couple of small lapel pin/tie tack type things with the CPS logo, but it's been a long while since they sent those out here in the U.S. They don't even send out a new plastic membership card each time you renew any more. They claim it's to save the planet, but they still overnight you blank repair forms and "Rush" labels via FedEx! (or maybe it's 2nd Day Air?)

Upvote 0
Hard to blame Polin for being a little defensive. Canon pretty much burned the reviewers. Never a good idea. I have no idea how the overheating issue will sort itself out but it’s pretty clear ithe launch is a PR disaster for Canon. Hope they can “right the ship” next week.

I think that's mischaracterizing what happened. It's not a "PR disaster" to have the recording limits clearly written out in the manual, and to let Peter McKinnon do a sponsored video with the R5 and not have a problem with him talking about the thermal issues after 15-20 min of 4K/120. I mean the guy only has a billion YouTube subscribers, so how is that Canon not telling us what's what? And it seems logical to think no one would have expected to shoot long segments of 8K anyway. Unless you're running a high-end pro studio with a room full of storage servers, who is going to want hours of 8K at 1TB per hour? That's nuts. If you have room to store that, you have the budget for a C300III.

This whole thing is just crazy to me. If Canon had delivered the camera with 4K/30 with no thermal limits, then offered 4K/60, 4K/120 and 8K RAW for a paid upgrade – even knowing it would be thermal-limited, people would have bought the ever-loving sh!t out of that! But instead Canon includes it! Ingrates!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Newbie question; what is the advantage (if any) of shooting crop mode in photo compared to cropping in post, when using an EF (of RF) lense? I can't seem to find straight answer looking around. I think the EOS-R has the option as well, but given the 45MP of the R5 the remaining crop might still have enough resolution. Let me know.

Upvote 0