Proof in high ISO pictures: Canon 5D Mark III kills Nikon D4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz

Mar 19, 2012
WOW

Are the Imaging Resource samples in-camera jpegs, or from RAW?

Either way, it's clear the 5D III is beating the D4 at every ISO, despite having more pixels.

Sure, this is only comparing image quality (yes, the D4 is meant for the sports pro/photojournalist), but I didn't expect this to be the result. It seems like Nikon got lazy (having been high ISO and sensitivity king for a while) and Canon actually leapfrogged. I was hoping they'd just catch up...but it seems like they did more.

And...the 1D X is supposed to be even better in image quality than the 5D III, which would make it the winner in a similar-body contest. Let's hope Canon actually delivers with the 1D X.

If Nikon didn't use the Sony sensor in their D800, they'd be losing at all levels right now.

Upvote 0
I am not sure of the reliability nor do I have any info on the "reviewer" as I had never seen that page before. Still, wanted to post since most of the comparisons so far have been between mk 3 and d800 and mk 3 beating D4 in low light performance is interesting if true. 1DX is supposed to have even better low light performance; so a new low light king?

As per DxO measurements, D4 is in second spot behind 12 MP D3s in low light performance...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
well_dunno said:
I am not sure of the reliability nor do I have any info on the "reviewer" as I had never seen that page before. Still, wanted to post since most of the comparisons so far have been between mk 3 and d800 and mk 3 beating D4 in low light performance is interesting if true. 1DX is supposed to have even better low light performance; so a new low light king?

As per DxO measurements, D4 is in second spot behind 12 MP D3s in low light performance...

There have been a number of threads that point to the comparison. this one merely points to a site that points to the comparison.

I certainly did not notice that one was outdoing the other by any noticible worthwhile amount. However, the high ISO images were taken with bright light and the story may change with low light at warm temperatures which are more realistic for use in the dark. For sports use to freeze motion in brightly lit arenas, the results should be realistic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.