Pulling the trigger on a 6D

ashmadux said:
I am really despising the 6d AF right now. A shoot yesterday yielded soooo many oof/missed focus shots, that im getting very very annoyed with it. My t2i AF is waayyyy more reliable, and im not sure how long i can keep using this.

And this is with mostly non moving subjects. Arjghg.

That doesn't sound right you might wanna get that thing checked out by Canon.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
ashmadux said:
I am really despising the 6d AF right now. A shoot yesterday yielded soooo many oof/missed focus shots, that im getting very very annoyed with it. My t2i AF is waayyyy more reliable, and im not sure how long i can keep using this.

Ditto. SOMETHING IS WRONG. Keep in mind that I bought the 5D3 about a year after it came out and the low light AF on it was really bad. So bad that I returned it and the next body worked better but still not as good as I thought it should have. So I bought the 6D when it came out. IT STOMPED THE 5D3 for LOW LIGHT AF. Eventually the 5D3 got a firmware upgrade that improved it but the 6D has always worked wonderfully for focusing normal event shots that aren't fast sports type stuff.

So the point is that if the 6D AF is so bad that it is irritating you, causing you to miss a high percentage of shots, etc then something is wrong with the camera. It shouldn't be performing any worse than most other cameras you've used before, it should definitely perform better than a Rebel.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
Zv said:
ashmadux said:

SOMETHING IS WRONG with the camera. It shouldn't be performing any worse than most other cameras you've used before, it should definitely perform better than a Rebel.

+1 Others (myself included) are not experiencing these problems with this camera. Return it to Canon under warranty to have it checked.

Upvote 0
ashmadux said:

I feel like you've been complaining about the 6D since you got it. Maybe it's just not for you.

For the rest of the thread, it's interesting to see the amount of positive responses now. I did a lot of research before buying my 6D a year ago and the majority of the threads were bashing it - based on specs, not actual use, but still.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I made the decision to get the 6D now, wish I'd done it sooner! The first day I got it I set it up in no time thanks to Canon's consistency with the menu system. Feels right at home, except the joystick. I find my thumb goes looking for it during playback! The magnify button is handy, most of the time you just want to check focus anyway so I set it to actual.

The next day I tried out the wifi remote shooting. Not overly impressed with the EOS remote app itself but it works and as a remote release it might be useful for when the camera is at an odd angle. I hope Canon improves the app and adds more functionality like the CamRanger. Image review on the EOS Remote looked handy though (but no histogram??) will definitely get some use when traveling.

Looking forward to testing it out properly, including the GPS, at the weekend if I get a chance! I think I'm gonna love this camera!

Upvote 0