R3 Eye controlled focus during eye glass use

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Well, the R3 has finally been announced and from all the reviews, it looks to be a real winner. Being an eyeglass user, the verdict is still out on whether the Eye AF, when wearing automatic transitional (aka shade darkening lenses) will work or not. I had great luck with the EOS 3 film body's eye AF, even when wearing no line bifocals. However, they did not have transitional lenses. So, then my question here is, while the eye AF looks to be amazing, will the R3 be able to detect your pupil through the darkened lens, when outside on a sunny day? I so hope the answer is yes, even while I have my doubts that this is possible. For me, this would just be icing on the cake, even though the lack thereof is not a deal breaker. Since I haven't seen any hands on use covering this potential dilemma, may have to wait til cameras start to ship.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As a non-glasses wearing person, I'm curious: have you considered using the diopter to adjust the EVF so you can use it without glasses?
I used to use the diopters, but the problem is that you need someplace to put your glasses while shooting and you can't see when you look away from the viewfinder. My eyesight isn't too bad, but it is still very annoying. On the other hand, I have never been a fan of sunglasses or transitional lenses when shooting, as they completely distort the lighting conditions, which I don't like. I will have to wait until the camera arrives before I will know how well it works with glasses. I wouldn't trust a reviewer anyway, because there would be too many variables. I believe Canon has already cautioned that it may not work, depending on how dark and how thick your glasses are.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As a non-glasses wearing person, I'm curious: have you considered using the diopter to adjust the EVF so you can use it without glasses?
That is certainly one solution, as long as I don't mind taking my glasses off every time to use this feature. Also, being vision impared, both near and far, without glasses I cannot see any of the buttons or dials on the back of the camera, so the only thing I could then see, is what I could see through the EVF. Thx much for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I used to use the diopters, but the problem is that you need someplace to put your glasses while shooting and you can't see when you look away from the viewfinder. My eyesight isn't too bad, but it is still very annoying. On the other hand, I have never been a fan of sunglasses or transitional lenses when shooting, as they completely distort the lighting conditions, which I don't like. I will have to wait until the camera arrives before I will know how well it works with glasses. I wouldn't trust a reviewer anyway, because there would be too many variables. I believe Canon has already cautioned that it may not work, depending on how dark and how thick your glasses are.
Exactly. I echo your comment on using the diopter. Like you, I don't like sunglasses, either. For my eyes, they are always too dark and when wearing, I always feel like there is a fog or obstruction over my eyes. Transitional lenses, on the other hand, at least in my case, have been the perfect solution and I don't even notice when they change, that is until I go back inside, waiting for them to transition to clear. I especially like them around the beach or other water related activities, since I don't have to try and remember if I have my sunglasses, which I wouldn't wear anyhow. Appreciate the input, unfocused.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It depends if you are nearsighted or far sighted. As a farsighted person, I can adjust the diopter to be in focus but astigmatism still distorts the image and prevents it from being sharp. Then, when I move my eye away, the back of the camera and its controls are blurred such that I struggle with them. Then I need to put my glasses back on.

I'd doubt that the eye focus would work when the lenses were dark. I have that type of lens and my phone struggles to do face recognition when they are dark.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
As my near sight gets worse as I get older and hate wearing glasses while photographing it would be one of the things I'd be looking forward to with mirrorless. I can't tell anymore from the backscreen whether its in focus - everything is out of focus to my eyes (without glasses). I've mirrorless Olympus and Fuji cameras which I don't like as cameras but the electronic viewfinder is handy. The eye focus control on the R3 is a little bit more complicated than I was expecting. I used it years ago on a Canon Film camera but can't really remember what I thought of it. I assume over time it will be instinctive how to use eye focus. Maybe I need a monocle for photography.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I have a pair of non-transitional glasses for precisely that purpose (to use while shooting). I don't always wear glasses anyway, but if I'm wearing while shooting I use those.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Well, the R3 has finally been announced and from all the reviews, it looks to be a real winner. Being an eyeglass user, the verdict is still out on whether the Eye AF, when wearing automatic transitional (aka shade darkening lenses) will work or not. I had great luck with the EOS 3 film body's eye AF, even when wearing no line bifocals. However, they did not have transitional lenses. So, then my question here is, while the eye AF looks to be amazing, will the R3 be able to detect your pupil through the darkened lens, when outside on a sunny day? I so hope the answer is yes, even while I have my doubts that this is possible. For me, this would just be icing on the cake, even though the lack thereof is not a deal breaker. Since I haven't seen any hands on use covering this potential dilemma, may have to wait til cameras start to ship.
My Elan IIe worked ok with thick, nearsighted Photogray lenses. It was always a little picky. I don’t think the darkened eyeglass lenses created difficulties. When I was shooting, the sun was blocked by the viewfinder, therefore my eyeglass lens was not quite as dark as it could have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I would think with dark lenses that the system may not work, but I do not know. I only shoot using normal single vision glasses so I am quite confident (hopeful) that the eye control AF will work. It seems to be a great system for moving the focusing points.
Based on my past experience, as an EOS 3 film body user, where eye controlled focus worked great while wearing eyeglasses and, knowing the tech is surely better on the R3, I would bet it will work well for you and you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Based on my past experience, as an EOS 3 film body user, where eye controlled focus worked great while wearing eyeglasses and, knowing the tech is surely better on the R3, I would bet it will work well for you and you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Upvote 0