R5's eyepiece ridge works with weathercovers

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Hey y'all. Have been messing with this and noticed it since the beginning.

20200812_190356.jpg
At first I thought it was a flap to help make the eyepiece more flexible against your eye, but it's actually a rigid edge to the eyepiece. So then, my immediate thought was to test it with my weathercovers.

Turns out, the Think Tank Photo Hydrophobia weathercovers work great with this ridge, the rubber seal fits right into it and holds really well. So far it hasn't given me any problems in bad weather, and it works great overall. The ridge holds the rubber material far enough away on the bottom to prevent the rubber from going over the eyepiece sensor, so that hasn't been an issue. There's a little bit of flex on the bottom with this old beat-up 70-200 cover, but it was less bad on a newer one that had tighter rubber. With that flex, if you're in a downpour a slight bit of water may leak through, but then you can always use the plastic flap from the hydrophobia over the viewfinder and still see the EVF perfectly fine.

This was a big concern of mine when I found out the R5 eyepiece wasn't removable, so honestly now I feel a lot better about all that.

20200812_190226.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Hey y'all. Have been messing with this and noticed it since the beginning.

View attachment 192111
At first I thought it was a flap to help make the eyepiece more flexible against your eye, but it's actually a rigid edge to the eyepiece. So then, my immediate thought was to test it with my weathercovers.

Turns out, the Think Tank Photo Hydrophobia weathercovers work great with this ridge, the rubber seal fits right into it and holds really well. So far it hasn't given me any problems in bad weather, and it works great overall. The ridge holds the rubber material far enough away on the bottom to prevent the rubber from going over the eyepiece sensor, so that hasn't been an issue. There's a little bit of flex on the bottom with this old beat-up 70-200 cover, but it was less bad on a newer one that had tighter rubber. With that flex, if you're in a downpour a slight bit of water may leak through, but then you can always use the plastic flap from the hydrophobia over the viewfinder and still see the EVF perfectly fine.

This was a big concern of mine when I found out the R5 eyepiece wasn't removable, so honestly now I feel a lot better about all that.

View attachment 192112
+1 thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
What a great post, time to get my credit card out.

I was caught out at RIAT this year when I discovered the Canon ERC rain covers don't fit and ended up using them as expensive sheets of waterproof material. I can't believe Canon doesn't have an option for the R5 and doesn't have a BIG "Not Compatible with the R5" in the description for the Canon ERC rain covers. I wasted money on the medium and large and couldn't send them back as they were used.

Upvote 0