Renting a lens for the Holidays -- need answer today!

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm likely going to continue a fun tradition and rent a lens for my holiday travels.

2015: 35 Art
2016: 50L
2017: ???

(I generally live in 24-50mm on FF)

Let's riff on what to get this year. Must decide today for the 25% off at LR.

Body = 5D3

Must have AF.

Favorite stuff I shoot: walkaround, travel, life, hiking, candids, occasional macro and landscapes

Add to that list for this holiday season: family, Christmas light bokeh, informal portraiture (99% likely no flash), trips to museums, farmers' markets, etc.

Cross off that list for this holiday season: landscapes. The tripod never joins me this time of year with family.

Zero need (with this rental): sports, wildlife, long reach, huge zoom multiplier, teleconverter use, etc.

Annnnnnnnd: go! :D

- A

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Top of my head list I'm considering:

• What I know I'll like: 35L II (I love 28-35 lenses, so this is comfort food more than growth if I did this)

• What I've wanted to try for some time: A 135 prime, either the L or the Art (but the USB dock doesn't work with it yet, right? Can I manually tweak AFMA on it?)

• What also might be fun: the new 85L, the Tamron 45 1.8 VC, Sigma 24-35 f/2, etc.

Thoughts?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Dylan777 said:
About you and I do something NEWS this year?

You rent: A9 + FE 35 f1.4

I rent: 1Dx II + EF 35f1.4 II

;)

Love the out of the (mirror) box thinking, but I see this as a discretionary $100 for fun over the holidays. Must keep the price tag reasonable so I'll have money left to pre-order the EF 50 f/1.4 USM II on day one. ;D

- A

Upvote 0
85 f/1.4 IS. It's new. It's selling at full MSRP. It's useful, especially for indoor portraiture. Shallow DOF suggests using it most often for single subject else you'd be grabbing a flash anyway. It's outside of your favorite FLs, which is a good thing for a rental (try something without a commitment to buying).

-1 on the 35 f/1.4 II. It's awesome - everybody knows this. It's been discounted this year (refurb store too). Why isn't this in your bag already?! You don't need a rental to know how much you'd like it. ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ahsanford said:
Dylan777 said:
About you and I do something NEWS this year?

You rent: A9 + FE 35 f1.4

I rent: 1Dx II + EF 35f1.4 II

;)

Love the out of the (mirror) box thinking, but I see this as a discretionary $100 for fun over the holidays. Must keep the price tag reasonable so I'll have money left to pre-order the EF 50 f/1.4 USM II on day one. ;D

- A

LOL ;D

On a serious note: we should be thanksful for these technologies from all these companies have to offer. It's good to shoot with today digital cameras.

Upvote 0
I just AFMA'ed my 135 ART and my 70-200 at the same time. I have noticeably more variation with the 135 ART, and it's slower. It's not bad, just not what you may used to, and this is your fun tradition, not a frustration tradition.

And consider that I have only one copy of each lens but that I observed the same thing with both my 80D and my 5DIV.

ahsanford said:
  • What I've wanted to try for some time: A 135 prime, either the L or the Art (but the USB dock doesn't work with it yet, right? Can I manually tweak AFMA on it?)

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
If you haven’t used the 35LII, you should. It is much more versatile for your intended use than the 85mm and 135mm-lenses. It has Zeiss-like contrast with great pop, and the pictures it produces really do stand out. When reviewing my pictures I always think the 35LII looks better than most others.

The 16-35LIII may be considered as well. It has great contrast as well, but I’d take the 35LII because of its light gathering potential, which comes in handy at this time of year.

I really did like the Tamron 45mm, but my copy consequently front focused with the off center focusing points.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
For the sort of shooting you are talking about, I reckon one of these three would be the most useful:

1. 35L II - see how you like it compared to your 35/2 IS

2. 85/1.4L (or Sigma 85 Art) - see how you like f/1.4 at that focal length (and lighter/smaller lens) compared with your 70-200/2.8

3. 24-70/2.8L II - I know it's been around for quite a while, but see how you like it (and particularly the extra stop of aperture) compared with your 24-70/4L IS.

A 135 prime (Canon or Sigma) could be fun to play with, but I wonder if it would be a bit too long much of the time for the sort of shooting you will be doing.

Looking forward to hearing what you choose, and your review of it!

Upvote 0
If I were you, I'd rent out the Canon 35mm f/1.4L II. I rented it out once and it's a stellar lens for general purpose. I wish I had it longer than just a weekend. The weekend didn't seem long enough!

I think second option would be the 85mm f/1.4 L. Its usage would mainly be limited to portraiture though and could be tough to use if you're shooting indoors in close spaces. The 35mm will at least give you the option to do some environmental portraiture.

Good luck on making your choice! And good luck on resisting GAS after renting!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jd7 said:
For the sort of shooting you are talking about, I reckon one of these three would be the most useful:

1. 35L II - see how you like it compared to your 35/2 IS

2. 85/1.4L (or Sigma 85 Art) - see how you like f/1.4 at that focal length (and lighter/smaller lens) compared with your 70-200/2.8

3. 24-70/2.8L II - I know it's been around for quite a while, but see how you like it (and particular the extra stop of aperture) compared with your 24-70/4L IS.

A 135 prime (Canon or Sigma) could be fun to play with, but I wonder if it would be a bit too long much of the time for the sort of shooting you will be doing.

Looking forward to hearing what you choose, and your review of it!

Wow, someone has a great memory! I feel like I am taking advice from myself with this post.

- A

Upvote 0