Review: Canon EOS M3

dcm said:
M3+EVF arrived today. Used my M quite a bit, 7K+ images, and have the full lens kit so I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with it. My expectation was an M+some improvements so I focused on a few things were I hoped it would be better. Initial impressions of the M3 are favorable, but wasn't able to do much due to the weather - mostly testing ergonomics and my intended use cases. It does solve several of my gripes about the original M. Still a lot of testing do but no disappointments so far.

Not looking at images yet due to poor lighting. LR, DxO, and Photos don't have support for the CR2s. Hope it comes with the T6s/T6i update that will also be required. Guess its back to Canon software for now.

Slightly bulkier than the M, but in a good way. The new grip provides a much better handhold. I am more comfortable with an EF lens attached. And it seems nicer when hold the camera with EF-M lenses mounted.

AF seems better than the M although I didn't do any side by side comparisons. It focused my EF-M and several EF lenses quickly with no hunting (unless I was inside MFD ;). Still have a lot more testing to do here but nothing negative to report so far.

Focus peaking (FP) is a nice addition, particularly for manual glass like my old FD lenses. I tried the FDn 50/1.8 with the Fotasy FD adapter and it worked great. Takes me back to my film days. I also tried it with EF 85 f/1.8 in MF mode and FP worked well, just a bit more challenging with a lens designed for AF. The Tamron 150-600 doesn't seem to register as an AF lens (expected) so I used FP with it as well. Will have to send the Tamron in for an update when they have an AF fix.

I like the EVF, particularly for longer focal lengths. Tested with EF-M 55-200, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 100-400 II (w Ext 2.0 III), and Tamron 150-600. Yep, I was handholding the M3+EVF+Adapter+Ext2.0+100-400II and it was usable at an effective 1280mm. Can't wait for a clear night to shoot the moon. Much better than holding at arm's length to compose and you can zoom the EVF to 5x or 10x. FP is still pretty good at 5X, but get's faint at 10x. EVF might not be quite as good as my 6D OVF but better than any P&S OVF that I remember. I think it will be good enough for me. I'd have no hesitation handholding a long lens on the M3 with the EVF. And it tilts, no angle finder needed!

The wheel around the shutter button is a nice addition. Great for adjustments when using the EVF. You don't have to take the camera away from your face to make a change. Still deciding how to setup the buttons, but there are plenty of choices for such a small camera.

Don't think I'll ever use the tilt screen for selfies, but it was nice to hold the camera waist level like an old Yashica TLR I used many moons ago. I can see this will be real useful for shooting the grandkid without having to squat or kneel to shoot at her level. I can see this as also being helpful when mounted on a tripod or gimbal. Haven't given the WiFi tethering a shot yet.

So far it appears to be a solid improvement over the original M.

It's very nice to have a post that actually comments on m3 instead of just guessing the future of mirrorless camera.

May I ask you how you like your 55-200? I can't find decent review anywhere. I'm interested in this lens now because of the evf. With the M holding a tele at arm's lens didn't make sense. I'm curious how 55-200 performs against 70-300L.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
sunnyVan said:
dcm said:
M3+EVF arrived today.

So far it appears to be a solid improvement over the original M.

It's very nice to have a post that actually comments on m3 instead of just guessing the future of mirrorless camera.

May I ask you how you like your 55-200? I can't find decent review anywhere. I'm interested in this lens now because of the evf. With the M holding a tele at arm's lens didn't make sense. I'm curious how 55-200 performs against 70-300L.

Thanks. I've shared my personal thoughts about using the M and will do so with the M3 as I begin to use it more. Right now I'm kicking the tires. I don't write reviews - might have to loan it to Dustin for that ;D

Shared my thoughts on the 55-200 in a previous thread and compared it with the other tele zooms I had (EF 70-200 f/4L IS and Tamron 150-600). For its size I think it's pretty good and is definitely my preferred carry for hiking and discrete telephoto use. I hope to revisit Long's Peak one of these days to add to the comparison with the M3 and my upgraded zooms (EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and EF 100-400L II) sometime down the road.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=22925.msg444139#msg444139

Upvote 0
Old dog here. I've learned to hold a SLR with a telephoto pretty damn still. I cannot master this point and shoot/mirrorless concept held at an arm's length to see the LCD. It is why all my point-and-shoots have the tilt/swivel LCD for waist level shooting (well, and yeah, a viewfinder, too).

If someone can show me a stable shooting position with these Canon's mirrorless cameras, I might be interested in using one as a second body, just in case something goes wrong.

Upvote 0
Re: Review: Canon EOS M3 - Low Light High ISO Movie Samples

epocalibera said:
I have just uploaded a compilation of movie samples shot in low light - high ISO, with the EOS M3 in Athens, Greece. ISO value of every movie sample is shown at the right-bottom side of the video. Chipped and unchipped legacy lenses were used for shooting the samples of this movie, which are:
1. Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 non-Ai (adapter used).
2. Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A).
3. Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX II for Nikon (adapter used).
4. Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF for Canon.
Movie samples were shot from April 11 until April 15 2015 in the center of the Greek capital.
Hope it helps some people.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_MiVFmAg_o
And here are 2 pictures of the gear used to shoot the test video:
DSC_3943.jpg

Canon EOS M3 with the lens: Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 non-Ai

DSC_4070.jpg

Canon EOS M3 with the lens: Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A) and the electronic viewfinder: EVF-DC1.

More pictures of this set can be found at my blog post: http://www.epocalibera.com/2015/04/canon-eos-m3-low-light-high-iso-movie.html
where you can see EOS M3 with legacy lenses.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
sunnyVan said:

Spent some time in the backyard with the M3+EVF and 55-200 today with slightly better weather (at least it wasn't raining). I'm impressed what this combo can do. EVF with telephoto makes all the difference - you can hold it like a DSLR. I haven't used the rear display yet in this configuration. Definitely part of my hiking kit in the future. Here's an image OOC.

IMG_0258 by dvmtthws, on Flickr

Focusing process might change a bit. Only 2 AF modes - 1 point and face tracking/multi. In 1 point AF you can magnify 5x or 10x even when using the EVF to check AF or set using MF. Focus peaking even works when magnified. When AF picked the near edge of a target, I could easily adjust using MF to bring the rest of of object into focus with FP. Does not seem to magnify in multipoint AF, magnify button turns face detect on and off. But the the AF grid has many more segments so its easier to tell what is in focus. And a bump of the MF ring gives you focus peaking to check.

Seems to get 4 RAW in continuous shooting before it hesitated versus 2 on the M. Turned off RAW since I don't have anything to process it yet. Biggest surprise of the day when it clicked off 30 large/superfine jpgs (10Mb or so each) at about 4 fps before it hestitated. Then it continued to shoot at a lower frame rate, maybe 1-2 fps.

Started an album for the M3, https://www.flickr.com/photos/128061745@N08/sets/72157652047738955/with/17166193246/

Upvote 0
dcm said:
sunnyVan said:

Spent some time in the backyard with the M3+EVF and 55-200 today with slightly better weather (at least it wasn't raining). I'm impressed what this combo can do. EVF with telephoto makes all the difference - you can hold it like a DSLR. I haven't used the real display yet in this configuration. Definitely part of my hiking kit in the future.

IMG_0258 by dvmtthws, on Flickr

Focusing process might change a bit. Only 2 AF modes - 1 point and face tracking/multi. In 1 point AF you can magnify 5x or 10x even when using the EVF to check AF or set using MF. Focus peaking even works when magnified. When AF picked the near edge of a target, I could easily adjust using MF to bring the rest of of object into focus with FP. Does not seem to magnify in multipoint AF, magnify button turns face detect on and off. But the the AF grid has many more segments so its easier to tell what is in focus. And a bump of the MF ring gives you focus peaking to check.

Seems to get 4 RAW in continuous shooting before it hesitated versus 2 on the M. Turned off RAW since I don't have anything to process it yet. Biggest surprise of the day when it clicked off 30 large/superfine jpgs (10Mb or so each) at about 4 fps before it hestitated. Then it continued to shoot at a lower frame rate, maybe 1-2 fps.

Started an album for the M3, https://www.flickr.com/photos/128061745@N08/sets/72157652047738955/with/17166193246/

Seems like this 55-200 deserves some consideration.

I noticed that now I can use back button to focus and use shutter to take a picture. Very glad for this implementation.

I have a feeling that the battery life has improved. What's your thought? I got a spare LP-E17 anyway. But it may not be needed as I suspect one is enough for a full day of shooting for me.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
sunnyVan said:

Seems like this 55-200 deserves some consideration.

I noticed that now I can use back button to focus and use shutter to take a picture. Very glad for this implementation.

I have a feeling that the battery life has improved. What's your thought? I got a spare LP-E17 anyway. But it may not be needed as I suspect one is enough for a full day of shooting for me.

Can't beat the size/weight of the EF-M lenses compared to the EF counterparts when I am carrying a bag or pack and going light. Today I carried M3+EVF, 55-200, 11-22, and 22 in a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 20 to an Earth Day event. Hardly noticed I was carrying anything. Much less conspicuous than my similar FF setup.

I use BBF on the Ms and 6D. Still getting used to the button change on the M3.

Same battery as 750D/760D, about 15% more mAh than the LP-E12 used in the M. Over 500 photos with EVF before the battery dropped a bar. Recharge didn't take long so I think it still had plenty of juice left. Haven't tried Eco Mode yet. As long as I start the day with a fully charged battery I'll probably be okay. I always carry a spare battery and SD card just to be sure.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
bholliman said:
Thanks for the informative posts dcm! I have an M that I use as a small/light alternative to my DSLR's. I like the M1, but have been wondering how much of an upgrade the M3 is. Your posts have answered all my questions. Ill be adding an M3 at some point this year.

I feel like I've only scratched the surface so far. There are many features and modes still to explore, but I like what I've seen so far. I haven't yet tried all my normal uses for the M, much less explore some new ones. While I'm at it I recently upgraded my EF zooms so I think I'll do some head to head lens comparison between EF-M glass and EF glass mounted on the M3. Think I'll start with these pairs.

Attachments

• IMG_3486crop.jpg
    IMG_3486crop.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3485crop.jpg
    IMG_3485crop.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0
photo212 said:
Old dog here. I've learned to hold a SLR with a telephoto pretty damn still. I cannot master this point and shoot/mirrorless concept held at an arm's length to see the LCD. It is why all my point-and-shoots have the tilt/swivel LCD for waist level shooting (well, and yeah, a viewfinder, too).

If someone can show me a stable shooting position with these Canon's mirrorless cameras, I might be interested in using one as a second body, just in case something goes wrong.

Try holding it closer to your eyes - about 10", or your visual near-point. Keep your elbows close to your sides. Held like that, it's not so different from using a viewfinder. It helps if you can find something to lean on - a tree, a lamppost, a railing - but that helps when using a viewfinder too.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
bainsybike said:
photo212 said:

Try holding it closer to your eyes - about 10", or your visual near-point. Keep your elbows close to your sides. Held like that, it's not so different from using a viewfinder. It helps if you can find something to lean on - a tree, a lamppost, a railing - but that helps when using a viewfinder too.

That's a bit harder for people like me with Presbyopia. My visual near-point is beyond arms length ;-) Progressive lenses correct it somewhat, but not quite that close. The Canon EVF with diopter adjustment works great in my case.

Upvote 0
dcm said:
bainsybike said:
photo212 said:

That's a bit harder for people like me with Presbyopia. My visual near-point is beyond arms length ;-) Progressive lenses correct it somewhat, but not quite that close. The Canon EVF with diopter adjustment works great in my case.

In your case, of course, I'm happy for you to use a viewfinder. ;) ;)

Actually I prefer a viewfinder myself, and before I bought the M all my cameras had one. But now that I have the M I find using the screen much less of a handicap than I expected. I think it's largely a matter of practice.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
bainsybike said:
dcm said:

Actually I prefer a viewfinder myself, and before I bought the M all my cameras had one. But now that I have the M I find using the screen much less of a handicap than I expected. I think it's largely a matter of practice.

I made the transition from viewfinder to screen with I moved from a G series to S series. The M was an improvement over the S series for me, even if not as pocketable.

I've been using the flip screen on the M3 at 90 degrees to shoot waste level and like this setup. Just wish I could change the BBF button to Mfn. Think I might like that with the EVF as well. Actually makes some sense to have the focus button next to the shutter button.

Upvote 0
dcm said:
bainsybike said:
dcm said:

I made the transition from viewfinder to screen with I moved from a G series to S series. The M was an improvement over the S series for me, even if not as pocketable.

I've been using the flip screen on the M3 at 90 degrees to shoot waste level and like this setup. Just wish I could change the BBF button to Mfn. Think I might like that with the EVF as well. Actually makes some sense to have the focus button next to the shutter button.

You can program the exposure lock button to become focus lock button. Focus with thumb and shoot with index finger.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
sunnyVan said:
dcm said:
bainsybike said:
dcm said:

You can program the exposure lock button to become focus lock button. Focus with thumb and shoot with index finger.

That's the way I currently use it. I find the exposure lock button placement a bit awkward to hit/find sometimes, like when shooting waste level or with EVF.

Upvote 0