Review: Sensor Performance of the 7D Mark II

steliosk said:
Canon has a loooong long way to go to fix some major problems with bigger steps. Problems such as DR pattern banding when pushing the shadows, where Sony sensors (not cameras) has already fixed that

The random noise component of the read noise is still an issue, but the 7D2 has fixed the pattern noise issue more or less completely.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
TLN said:
What is really game changing, sony A7 or a7s. Or new 5-axis sensor stabilization in A7 II. Btw it cost as much as 7d2.

If a game-changing tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Technically yes, but it really doesn't matter all that much.

I'll bet the 7DII sells more than all the a7 models combined.

nice, and ditto.

Upvote 0
This review includes an analysis of noise, dynamic range, and full well capacity of a Canon 7D Mark II camera. The Canon 7D Mark II is the latest in the Canon (APS-C) 1.6-crop DSLR lineup. The performance is so exceptional it is a game changing camera in the Canon lineup.

When I read this at the very beginning of the review, I know I can only take it with a pinch of salt

I invite you to take a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/10

Compare it to Nikon's D7100 (direct competitor from 2013)
Select Raw > ISO 100 > [Select chunk of words in the upper-middle frame]

See for yourself which camera/sensor captured more details.

"Game changing camera" in the Canon lineup. Yea right

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Marauder said:
Great review. The 7D Mark II is exactly the camera I'd hoped it would be.

LOL at the thread immediately being high-jacked by the "it's no good if it's not mirrorless and Sony" crowd, which seems to happen every time anyone writes something positive about the 7D Mark II (or any Canon camera for that matter). Eminently predictable! ::)

Yes. I just laugh at these trolls. Not worth responding to them. No matter how many positive reviews there are, they will always find something to complain about. Meanwhile, Canon just keeps selling cameras.

Upvote 0
TLN said:
Well, i can call game changer new technology, new features, something that never been done before.
7d2 in evolution of 7d. It is bwtter here and there, and we can expect it from canon. This is not a revolution of technology, so its hardly a gme changer.

But a7 is.
First ff mirrorles. Yep i know about leica, but its too exotic and pricey
A7r offers really nice sensor in a compact body
And a7s low light performance is incredible. In a light and small package.
A7ii first ff ibis.
And they can easily use canon lenses with af. You can call it a first step to universal lens mount if you want.

Im not a sonynfanboy, just a general phot shooter and a7 looks very promising to me

It's not a game changer if you can't take a full advantages of it. I mean a lot of people who see 7D2 as basically a 1D4 that cost under $2k. I mean it features a lots of things people who can't afford to pay $5k+ camera many years ago. And now it's under $2k.

OK, I get that the A7 series are mirrorless, but that's neither good nor bad. There are things that mirrorless is better but there are still things that dSLR better at. Maybe in a few years when electronic viewfinder can actually become superior in every way than tradition mirror box, but it's not here now. At this point I see them as a equal, even though in my case they aren't as good for how I shoot.

A7r and the Nikon D8xx series, yes it's a nice sensor, but then again most people who take 10fps doesn't care about that much MP. I mean, how many people actually use that much resolution on a daily basis? I don't. Maybe in the next decade when I very want to make a wall-size print then yes. Right now, most of my print, I would say 12-16MP will probably do. 20MP will just give a bit of cropping lee-way. And 30MP+ is kinda over kill and take too much time and storage for the RAW workflow.

A72 and the IBIS. I very hope this work. Yes I want it too, but I can't say if it's good of bad yet. I have seen in the past that IBIS aren't just as good as optical one. Maybe this is the one, but I can't say that. Neither can you. Nobody have a review out yet to say the IBIS in A72 is the real deal and not just a gimmick.

If all you or anyone is taking snapshot then most interchangeable lens cameras are overkill. I start shooting back when it was film, and pick up my first dSLR, the original dRebel (300D), then 20D then 5D2. For each upgrade, I basically out grow the camera. Meaning I take the camera to the limit and then I start doing things camera can't do anymore. So, I actually see camera as a tool. Yes, there are spec to the camera, but then I don't shoot pictures w/ spec sheet. There are things that won't be in the spec list. Like electronic viewfinder can they keep up w/ fast moving subject? Or how fast the camera empty the buffer. Depending on the style of photography you do, camera sensor aren't everything. People keep comparing camera sensor like it's the holy grail, and while it's important, people shouldn't ignore all the stuff that happened before the image hit the sensor. Even though for many people, they see Canon recent dSLR as rather slow to adoption(especially when mostly viewed from the camera sensor PoV), on the other hand many serious photographers and pro see them as a more balance system.

Upvote 0
Phil Lowe said:
1DX has 61, 41 of which are cross-type. 7D2 has 65, alll of which are cross-type. Your statement is demonstrably false.
It's partially correct. I wouldn't call 1DX nor 7D2 better. If anything 1DX is slightly better.
What you missed is that while 1DX and 5D3 have less AF point and less cross-type, they also have more dual cross-type AF points, 5 in the 1DX & 5D3 while only a center one in 7D2. Also, while all of the cross-type points except for the center AF point in 7D2 are f/5.6 vertical and horizontal, some of the cross-type points in 1DX and 5D3 are f/4 horizontal and f/5.6 vertical and the rest of the cross-type would be the f/5.6. What this means is that there will be things that better suited for AF system in the 1DX/5D3 and oppose is true in the 7D2. Okay, now back to what I said about 1DX would be slightly better, this has nothing to do w/ the AF, but somewhat related and only apply to the 1D series. To summarize it, 1D series use battery w/ higher voltage and thus can drive the motor in the lens faster. This is what Chuck Westfall have said in the past. While the true is this being faster or slower is mini-skew, some could benefit from this. People who very demand the top performance would. For most of us, this means nothing. Still, since we can't put this benefit in the 7D2 nor cane it be taken out of the 1DX, then I have no choice but to call that it's slightly better if the AF system are consider equal.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Renzokuken said:
This review includes an analysis of noise, dynamic range, and full well capacity of a Canon 7D Mark II camera. The Canon 7D Mark II is the latest in the Canon (APS-C) 1.6-crop DSLR lineup. The performance is so exceptional it is a game changing camera in the Canon lineup.

When I read this at the very beginning of the review, I know I can only take it with a pinch of salt

I invite you to take a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/10

Compare it to Nikon's D7100 (direct competitor from 2013)
Select Raw > ISO 100 > [Select chunk of words in the upper-middle frame]

See for yourself which camera/sensor captured more details.

"Game changing camera" in the Canon lineup. Yea right
Hi,
Hmm... The D7100 image had better contrast, look sharper and got a bit more details (I think due to better contrast and a bit more resolution) in the fine print, but from my monitor, the fine print in the D7100 image got a lot more yellowish and blueish... is yellowish and blueish colouring in the fine print really exist in the actual scene?? IMHO, depreview should also provide an "actual reference image" for user to compare.

By the way, we should remember that the 7D2 like the 70D is dual pixels, so it's actually a 40MP sensor in an APS-C size... with that in mind, I think the 7D2 IQ is very good... I just wonder how the IQ really look like at full 40MP... may be Canon should provide a mode (look like a new project for ML??) to output the full 40MP size image.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
e17paul said:
It's interesting to note the comments on button placement. Two hands are ideal, but better one handed use can make a real difference when when part way up a construction site ladder, or other tricky places.

The button layout is quite good actually, as all the shooting buttons are on the right hand side, and the playback buttons on the left.
And it's exactly the same as my 5D3.

Upvote 0
'so Canon might provide a more complete overall camera and might sell like crazy but that doesn't mean that has the best sensor in the market.'

agreed! but what else can one look at but the 'total' offering from a brand? the Sony's sure look good and very tempting but there are just too many little question marks that worry me like the shutter vibration, softer corners compared to Canon, EVF, no shift and tilt lenses, less backup and availability in my neck of the woods, etc etc so for a Canon owner the 7D2 is as good as its going to get, and frankly that's not bad at all and probably far exceeds what most photographers here are capable off anyway...and that goes not just for Canon but all the other brands as well....things are pretty good at the moment !

The Alpha range from sony of course could be used in a Canon system via adaptors, which sound perfect theoretically but the lack of corner sharpness is too uncertain for me to commit to that idea yet....

Upvote 0
Phil Lowe said:
A focus system better than the 1DX or 5D3 for $1799, which is 1/3 the price of the former and 1/2 the price of the latter? That is a game changer.

I own the 7D2. It is significantly better than my 7D in performance, and faster than my 5D3 when shooting wildlife. It does not match the low-light performance of the 1DX, 5D3, or 6D, but they don't provide a 1.6x crop factor, meaning I have more reach with every lens in my bag without having to buy new lenses.

And you regain that light by not having to add on a teleconverter in many cases. Nobody seems to talk about that.

Upvote 0
Marauder said:

LOL at the thread immediately being high-jacked by the "it's no good if it's not mirrorless and Sony" crowd, which seems to happen every time anyone writes something positive about the 7D Mark II (or any Canon camera for that matter). Eminently predictable! ::)

Precisely! Sometimes I laugh and sometimes I sigh. Personally, I am very enthusiastic about the 7D Mark II. I get it's not the camera for everyone--not everything fits a given photographer's needs. I just don't get why the people who love Sony sensors and various mirrorless designs from Sony and Samsung don't just go purchase those brands instead of complaining about it here. Don't like the 7D2---don't get one! Excited about the Sony A7R or the Samsung NX 1--go purchase one! Get the camera you want and go out and take great images!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Phil Lowe said:
A focus system better than the 1DX or 5D3 for $1799, which is 1/3 the price of the former and 1/2 the price of the latter? That is a game changer.

I own the 7D2. It is significantly better than my 7D in performance, and faster than my 5D3 when shooting wildlife. It does not match the low-light performance of the 1DX, 5D3, or 6D, but they don't provide a 1.6x crop factor, meaning I have more reach with every lens in my bag without having to buy new lenses.

I wouldn't say the 7DII AF is better than the 1D X, more of a wash. On the 1D X, with an f/2.8 or faster lens you have more dual cross points, and with an f/4 or faster lens you have more accurate cross-type toward the sides of the frame. On the 7DII, with an f/5.6 lens you have all cross-type points, and you have a better spread of AF points across the (cropped) frame. AF is also faster on the 1D X, thanks to the higher battery voltage.

But to get AF performance on par with a 1-series body for the price of the 7DII, along with more (apparent) reach without having to buy new lenses, highlights what remains the real crop body advantage – lower cost.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Marauder said:
Marauder said:

Precisely! Sometimes I laugh and sometimes I sigh. Personally, I am very enthusiastic about the 7D Mark II. I get it's not the camera for everyone--not everything fits a given photographer's needs. I just don't get why the people who love Sony sensors and various mirrorless designs from Sony and Samsung don't just go purchase those brands instead of complaining about it here. Don't like the 7D2---don't get one! Excited about the Sony A7R or the Samsung NX 1--go purchase one! Get the camera you want and go out and take great images!

+10

Canonrumors should create an anti-bullshit-app that allows readers to mask all posts including the terms "Nikon", "Sony", "D810" and "A7" (or better, an app with customizable bullshit settings). As a user, I appreciate that those companies make very good cameras and put pressure on Canon to impove their products. But I am getting more and more tired to flick through all this nonsense to find serious posts worth reading.

Upvote 0
TLN said:
game changing, game changing, game changing, blah blah..

But show photos from 7d1 and 7d2 to people, and they' won't recognize what camera is where.

What is really game changing, sony A7 or a7s. Or new 5-axis sensor stabilization in A7 II. Btw it cost as much as 7d2.
Nobody can look at an image created with a sony sensor, without looking at the metadata, and say, wow look at that picture, it sure must have been taken with a sony or nikon camera. Yet we are lead to believe that you can't take a usable image, let alone a good one, unless you are using a sony or nikon camera.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
jaayres20 said:
TLN said:
Nobody can look at an image created with a sony sensor, without looking at the metadata, and say, wow look at that picture, it sure must have been taken with a sony or nikon camera. Yet we are lead to believe that you can't take a usable image, let alone a good one, unless you are using a sony or nikon camera.

That's not "what people are saying". All that people are saying, 0.2 stops better Hi ISO or 14% of this or that or a few more AF fields ... are NOT game changing.

An compact camera with a fantastic full-frame sensor in a box half the size and weight of any previously used boxes ... with 80% more resolution and better low ISO DR and image quality than those older, larger boxes ... with image capturing capability and user interface on par or better than those older, fatter boxes ... without any moving parts inside, more robust, more durable, immune to misalignments of components ... with zero vibrations, zero noise ... with stabilizer working with all lenses ... with a viewfinder that shows the image exactly as it will be captured, working even in extremely low light levels ... that's a game changer to me. Looking forward to the Sony A9. ;D

Upvote 0
TLN said:

But show photos from 7d1 and 7d2 to people, and they' won't recognize what camera is where.

OK, so I've read the rest of your posts. You obviously haven't used those A7* bodies in the real world or payed attention to the lens lineup. While they have their merits, and in several ways NUKE Canon, they also have their faults.

The AF is HORRIBLE- I mean I'd rather shoot manual with them than try to use the AF. There are zero improvements in the A7m2 as far as AF - they tweaked the firmware only.

The A7R shutter slap might as well the a full-blown thunder clap, is so fracking loud, I've never heard anything like it in digital.

The IBIS is wicked, I agree, and blatantly demonstrates that Canon and Nikon have been ripping us off for years charging extra for IS in lenses when they could have done IBIS. But the bottom line is that it doesn't offer "better" IS, just IS across the board with all lenses.

The Sony FE lens lineup is severely gimped- so much so that no pro can use it IMO. There is NO F2.8 STANDARD ZOOM, NO F2.8 70-200 ZOOM, and the ZEISS 24-70mm F4 is so soft I'd rather use the kit lens. Sure, you can bolt on an adapter, but at that point, why not use something else with better AF? The 55mm prime is wicked, and the 35mm F2.8 is nice and small, but that hardly makes up for a complete lack of zooms.

Bottom line: Yes, A7k lineup is shiny, but not ready for prime time, not even close. Fix the AF (must be at least as good as the A6000), release F2.8 zooms (or at least fix the garbage Zeiss 24-70mm F4), and add a 2nd card slot. The A9 should be nice next year and take care of the AF and card issues, but that lens issue is going to plague the system for many more years. While the IBIS offers no significant advantage in the short term, it does make Canon and Nikon look silly, which is good:)

Upvote 0