Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

well, I photograph architecture as a full time job and sometimes do products as well. there is a big difference in sharpness between 5Ds and 5Dsr and basically everything else is a consequence of this choice. for example you think that 24-70 2.8L is a sharp lens and I got rid of it when I had my 1Ds MkII for the quality reasons. I just don't think you should be using such good for portraits lens for product shots but happy days if you have the client who pays for the job... I use tilt and shift lenses, the same ones you mentioned, and to be honest it doesn't matter what year the lens was built as for example 90mm ts is one of the sharpest lenses canon made and on the other side of the scale is 45mm ts (mark one) which was a disaster, the worst chromatic aberration canon pro lens ever. talking about computers, well, once you get real busy with the postproduction you will start thinking about it, not to mention the beautiful 27 inch retina displays that are one of the tools to show you what your files are really look like. if you don't have such display, no wonder you don't see the problem. all the best!
w
Suffice to say I'm minded to disagree with almost all of your points...

However I'll be sure alert my clients to start looking for someone who better understands modern photography ;-)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
For all those complaining about the size of the raw files, maybe you should upgrade your computer before your camera :)

Not everyone needs 75mpx, but those of us who could make good use of it are pretty tired of the "what's the point of 75mpx they only need a good 24mpx sensor" arguments.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
IBIS is a must.
nope it's a should-be, not a must-be, in my opinion.
They say IBIS increases sensor heat and therefore noise and therefore decreases the DR.

If there's a tradeoff between IBIS and DR, I'd prefer to have a better DR.
IBIS would be great to have but only if it doesn't affect the DR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
a tsunami alert for all of those who think that buying a high megapixel camera is so cool idea. I've been using 5dsr (50 megapixel) for the past three years and I need to warn you that there will be some consequences. A financial consequences I mean if you are serious about the quality. First you will replace half of your lenses as you will notice a lot of underperforming ones in terms of sharpness and chromatic aberration.

A higher MP sensor will improve the output of any lens. Bob Atkins demonstrated this in his 5Ds review by testing a 90s kit lens on the 5Ds and on a 6D. That said, when you have a high resolution sensor you want to get the best you can out of it. So it certainly can alter your purchasing decisions.

Then you will buy the most expensive computers (imac and macbook pro if you are a mac lover) as your old ones will be too slow, wasting in average two hours of your time per day if you shooting raw.

This is hyperbole. I notice the difference in processing times between 5Ds RAW files and RAW files from lower resolution cameras, but it's nothing that could add up to 'hours per day.' Any i5 or i7 made in the past 5 years should do just fine so long as you have enough RAM and a SSD for the OS/app/scratch disk.

And for those of you who think shooting medium raw is such an excellent idea I would like to say that I tough that too until I saw a very annoying color difference in blacks (greenish blacks) that appear only in smaller than full size raws. Here you go.

I haven't personally seen this but I also don't shoot mRAW very often.

Not to mention the storage. Prepare some more cash and you are good to go. The good side is the quality. Once you can afford all those you will never go back. w

Now those two points (storage and not wanting to go back) we agree on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
well, I photograph architecture as a full time job and sometimes do products as well. there is a big difference in sharpness between 5Ds and 5Dsr

At the risk of digging up a dead horse argument between Alan and myself if he's following this thread...I don't think a "big" difference exists. Pic related. If I recall correctly the three panels are 5Ds, 5DsR, and 5Ds with very light sharpening.

Section-3.jpg

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Does a high megapixel camera really perform any worse in low light compared to a low MP camera? One big caveat I want to say is this though, I'm talking about at the same viewing size!

Not really. High ISO images are dominated by photon shot noise. So there is little difference between sensors within a format when inspected at the same view size. Noise can seem a little more obtrusive on high MP sensors when you look at a gray patch. But when you look at an area of detail the extra resolution and sharpness makes the high MP image look much better IMHO. And you have more room to apply NR in post processing because the image is inherently sharper.

Upvote 0
Why would you prefer a tilt screen when a flippy one does the same thing, plus more?

If it is a two-way tilt (like Fuji), it allows users to be more discrete as it is far less obvious when deployed. It is also more compact when deployed and doesn't interfere with an L-bracket.

Upvote 0
you’re completely right
The issue is that the 5D and 7d folks just haven’t gotten their R model yet
The demand is definitely there. Some have gone with the R and it has improved a lot with firmware but as you can imagine folks are just hungry for some new models

Then the whole point of the camera is not for you. Every model can't fit every use or user case, there hasn't been a 'best' camera for a long time.

Upvote 0
If it is a two-way tilt (like Fuji), it allows users to be more discrete as it is far less obvious when deployed. It is also more compact when deployed and doesn't interfere with an L-bracket.

As far as I understand, in Fuji it only tilts up and down, not left and right, which renders it useless when shooting in portrait orientation.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If that is close I will be getting one. 75mp, DR, weather sealed.

I'd prefer a tilt screen than a flip screen but am comfortable within my own mind to know Canon don't care what I, as an individual, want...
My preference is an articulated screen.

that said, I think that the greatest use of an articulated screen is to reverse it to protect the screen during transit. I rarely use it in any other position other than flat in the body, but every now and then it comes in handy.

being articulated, tilt, or fixed would have very little impact on my decision to buy

Upvote 0
Speak for yourself. I love my articulating screen. I am not a Vlogger.
I meant having an articulated screen vs a tilting screen is useless unless you are a vlogger.
The tilting screen is more than perfect for photographers that don't do vlogs.

I would like to have a tilting screen. I hate articulated screens, very slow to handle and not so resistant.

• Angry
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Fully weather-sealed ...

I take no credit for this, as another member found and posted this previously on another thread, but I do wonder how much more weather sealing one should expect.

I want to underscore that the EOS R actually did very well in our weather-sealing tests. It passed the standard 35-minute heavy rain test with absolutely no problems, and in fact was more controllable than virtually any other camera we've weather-tested, because its touch-screen remained fully functional, and the eye sensor on the electronic viewfinder was largely unaffected by the precipitation.

It took 50 minutes of additional drenching the following day before it showed any problems at all, but when it finally did give up the fight, it was pretty obvious, as most of the rear- and top-panel control buttons just stopped working altogether. But note that this was after 85 minutes of being fully exposed to heavy rain with no protection whatsoever, an impressive performance compared to many other cameras we've tested so far.

While I have a great deal of respect for Lens Rentals and their teardowns, I wonder if we should be judging the EOS R by traditional weather sealing standards. Perhaps foam seals are not the be-all and end-all for weather sealing and Canon is instead using 21st century manufacturing processes to build the R to very tight tolerances that might actually seal the camera better than foam.

I'm no engineer and I have no inside knowledge, but the Imagining Resources test is very impressive.

Upvote 0