Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
A couple of wildlife shots with the R5/800mm combo (I couldn't put it down). These were taken at 1/200sec and 1/160sec, respectively. The crepe myrtle blur is due to wind and not camera shake. I am still extremely impressed with the IBIS/IS combo.

Not much done in post with the bee shot. By contrast, I tried to get the bluejay to look as good as possible. Even with a significant amount of post, I find the shot somewhat borderline. It is much, much better than nothing, but I don't think that I'm going to frame many if any shots with this lens unless the lighting is absolutely perfect. I keep wanting to set the aperture to a lower value (bigger aperture) then I remember that f/11 is all there is.

It is most definitely a fun toy. I want to get it out in the field to get a real comparison.

bee 7C8A0135.jpgBJ 7C8A0092.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
I ordered R5 plus:
LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion Batterry
Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip

I received the following notice on 07/23. Anyone get a different notice? Anyone have a clue as to delivery date?

Dear Customer
We did not forget about you!

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when the Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) (B&H # CAER5) becomes available. We advised you then that we would send you interim updates. We regret the item remains unavailable.

We will continue to update you on the status of this item via email every 2 weeks until it becomes available to you.

• If you do not wish to receive interim status updates, please click here (you will still receive notification when the item is in stock or available for Pre-order up to six months from date of unsubscribing)
  • If you wish to remove yourself from the notification list for this item entirely, please click here (you will no longer receive ANY future notifications about this item)
I placed my order at B&H in the morning the R5 was available for preorder. Up until now, it's been showing that shipments would start 7/30/20 but no confirmation yet. My order status was changed to Delivery Estimate Pending and I don't know what that means. Hopefully, they are trying to get it packed and shipped or it could mean that they are out of stock?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just saw on the main news page that someone got a response from Canon customer service that the second wave of R5’s won’t be coming until November. Glad I have my adapter and grip :ROFLMAO:

If I can confirm that I can’t get my hands on one until November at the earliest, I’ll probably just cancel my preorder and reorder it in the spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I ordered R5 plus:
LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion Batterry
Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip

I received the following notice on 07/23. Anyone get a different notice? Anyone have a clue as to delivery date?

Dear Customer
We did not forget about you!

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when the Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) (B&H # CAER5) becomes available. We advised you then that we would send you interim updates. We regret the item remains unavailable.

We will continue to update you on the status of this item via email every 2 weeks until it becomes available to you.

• If you do not wish to receive interim status updates, please click here (you will still receive notification when the item is in stock or available for Pre-order up to six months from date of unsubscribing)
  • If you wish to remove yourself from the notification list for this item entirely, please click here (you will no longer receive ANY future notifications about this item)
I received mine this morning (7/30/20) shipped from B&H via FedX

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I picked up my R5 this morning along with the battery grip, one extra battery, and both extenders. I am currently charging the batteries to 100%. This evening I will setup the camera and tomorrow morning I will test out a couple of lenses on the camera. I was really hoping that Canon would release the 100-500 mm L lens with the R5, but I'll have to wait another two months for that particular lens. Tomorrow morning will be fun!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pure speculation from the author. But he seems to have a few sources that, if true, confirms that the number of R5’s available is extreeeeemly low...

I just got off the phone with B&H and my R5 body which was ordered as soon as the pre-order form went up at B&H is shipping today or Monday at the latest. They have also billed my PayBoo credit card (thanks for saving me $500 in sales tax) which confirms that my R5 body is being kicked out the door (sorry gently placed in FedEx's hands). The salesperson said that B&H did not know of any recall of the body due to overheating but that it was simply a supply vs demand issue. I don't really care as I want to take pictures and not video.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I just got off the phone with B&H and my R5 body which was ordered as soon as the pre-order form went up at B&H is shipping today or Monday at the latest. They have also billed my PayBoo credit card (thanks for saving me $500 in sales tax) which confirms that my R5 body is being kicked out the door (sorry gently placed in FedEx's hands). The salesperson said that B&H did not know of any recall of the body due to overheating but that it was simply a supply vs demand issue. I don't really care as I want to take pictures and not video.
I’m with you (y)

I could’ve gotten an R5 shipped to me today as well as my go to shop had plenty, so no shortage there. I didn’t however as the exchange is horrible now making the camera at least $1000 (converted) more expensive than it should’ve been under normal circumstances.

I think the numbers reported by EOSHD is a lie, plain and simple .

Upvote 0

so I guess that means B&H still has more R5 units in stock?

Upvote 0