Dec 13, 2010
Love my R for portraits and anything else that's static. For anything moving much? Like my grandson? Just too slow for that. Congrats on the R5, my friend. I will eagerly await what you post with it and salivate as I await your impressions. ;)
Thanks! Hopefully I meet your expectations (y)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
Any UK R5 delivery experiences? I preordered with a deposit from TopTeks back in July. Had an excited phone call from them last week, telling me shipping was imminent and asking for payment... followed by a disappointed phone call today telling me that delivery wasn't imminent after all. Went into local Wex who tell me they have no idea when they might get stock... interested in others' UK experiences. And reasons why not to order from Panamoz, who seem to have R5 in stock.

Upvote 0

Mo Steve

EOS R
Jul 30, 2020
I ordered from B&H 7/27 and haven't seen an email since 9/9 which told me it would ship by the end of October, anyone from mid-july have any positive news?
So I emailed B&H yesterday about my 7/15 order that was supposed to ship the last week of September and this was the response. The previous email I received with an update was on 8/28:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the shipment that was supposed to arrive at our warehouse at the end of September got delayed. Based on our current information from Canon, we expect to receive our next delivery by the end of next week. We then plan to turn that shipment around has quickly as possible to get your order shipped out to you during the week of October 26

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
So I emailed B&H yesterday about my 7/15 order that was supposed to ship the last week of September and this was the response. The previous email I received with an update was on 8/28:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the shipment that was supposed to arrive at our warehouse at the end of September got delayed. Based on our current information from Canon, we expect to receive our next delivery by the end of next week. We then plan to turn that shipment around has quickly as possible to get your order shipped out to you during the week of October 26

Ouch. Doesn't sound good for me.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Talked to B&H TODAY, the salesperson stated 4-6 weeks. Who Knows!!
B&H still says on their website that they expect new orders placed today to ship in November.

Hopefully that means they are expecting some serious stock to come in during the next 6 weeks if they will clear out all backlog and be able to fill new orders by then.

Upvote 0
I called B&H yesterday. I had ordered my R5 on 8/31 and an RF 85 on 9/24. Both are listed as backordered. I got an e-mail yesterday saying by lens was still backordered and I decided to call for a status update. They said they'd be receiving more from Canon in 2-4 weeks and my order would be fulfilled then. I then asked about the R5, and they said that they'd be receiving enough stock from Canon in 2-4 weeks to fulfill all their back-orders. Hopefully that information is accurate!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The thousand page manual doesn't explain too many things, it mostly gives you a tour of the menu. Fortunately there are, as you pointed out, YouTube videos. This being far and away the highest-tier camera I've ever owned, I'm going to have to seek an introduction to those AF cases at some point--but not right now! (I'll look when I'm ready.)

I did appreciate the video you did post. I had done about half of what he suggested already but it hadn't occurred to me to link eye AF to the * button. I guess the * function is covered by the shutter button being half down, so that makes sense.

The AF cases are pretty much the same for all the cameras that have them across Canon's ecosystem. They've put out some very helpful AF guides for the 1D X series. Here's a link to the page where you can download the one for the 1D X Mark II (Canon does not allow a direct link to the download, if you try to access it from anywhere else but the Canon support page it gives an "access denied" response). Some of the material is only applicable to cameras with mirrors and dedicated PDAF sensor, but the basic principles of the AF cases are the same: How fast you want the AF system to refocus on new objects, etc.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Mine arrived 10/16!

None of the tales of orders and subsequent delivery makes any sense. Some who ordered a long time ago still wait while others who ordered more recently have the camera. I tried most of the major retailers and finally ordered through Canon USA. Tried many times when it showed in stock to get one and each time the camera became backordered in the cart. Then, my Paypal went from pending to charged and the order history from backorder to inventory. Now, I have the camera, and some existing SD cards (I know, everyone should have those "problems"), but no CFExpress. So far, just trying it with Grandkids running indoors, I am happy. Will need to spend some serious "learning" time.

Time to sell my DSLR and a couple of EF lenses!

Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
I'd much rather read a 1,000 page manual than try to learn about every feature/setting for a highly complex camera via YouTube videos. To each his own.
To each his own is more true than we’d believe. I can understand a distrust of YouTube information back in the day, or even a short while ago. However now because there are so many to choose from, it’s actually easier to sort thru the wannabe authority from those who really know what they are taking about AND know how to deliver the message/lesson.

Having said that, I have found a few people who really breakdown the cameras and/or lenses and apply the focus points ( no pun!), in practical ways.

You can always have the 1,000 page booklet nearby for late night reading.

STILL WAITING ON MY R5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'd much rather read a 1,000 page manual than try to learn about every feature/setting for a highly complex camera via YouTube videos. To each his own.

For me, it depends on what is being shown. I feel that video works better to show things like AF cases and new features like DPAF face relighting, but less so for things like filenames and card order.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
To each his own is more true than we’d believe. I can understand a distrust of YouTube information back in the day, or even a short while ago. However now because there are so many to choose from, it’s actually easier to sort thru the wannabe authority from those who really know what they are taking about AND know how to deliver the message/lesson.

Having said that, I have found a few people who really breakdown the cameras and/or lenses and apply the focus points ( no pun!), in practical ways.

You can always have the 1,000 page booklet nearby for late night reading.

STILL WAITING ON MY R5

For me it has nothing to do with the accuracy or reliability of the information presented and everything to do with the format. I can read the same information much faster than someone can say it using normal speech patterns and rhythms. It's also nice to be able to glance back at previous charts/pages/illustrations/etc. with printed material than it is to try and search for something earlier in a video. I also retain visual information much better than auditory information (unless it has to do with musical pitch/harmony).

Upvote 0