vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
For anyone that has their R5, Have they been able to find a codec so they can view the CR3 thumbnails in windows 10 file explorer? I kept going to microsoft, so they say to go get a program, but when I download it, it doesn't help, and they don't have the R5 listed as a compatible camera.
My thumbnails for my R5 CR3 files work. I use the RAW Image Extension app available from the Microsoft Store. HEIF thumbnails don't work, and the CR3 counterparts to the HEIF files are kinda off. Not sure if it's a bit-depth thing or something else. But otherwise, my R5 RAW thumbnails surprisingly appear in my File Explorer no problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My thumbnails for my R5 CR3 files work. I use the RAW Image Extension app available from the Microsoft Store. HEIF thumbnails don't work, and the CR3 counterparts to the HEIF files are kinda off. Not sure if it's a bit-depth thing or something else. But otherwise, my R5 RAW thumbnails surprisingly appear in my File Explorer no problem.
Hmmm I guess I gotta play around more with the program to get them to show up.. :-/

Thanks though!

Upvote 0
I must say I am quite disappointed with Canon. I ordered early with Adorama and have yet to receive any news. Originally told September, then October 20 now I just get a shrug. The frustrating part is that I see updates from the Canon Direct Store who is continually getting stock. It seems Canon is doing a poor job of supporting distributors and keeping sales in house. Maybe just perception but it seems this is something they should be cognizant of.

Upvote 0
That would be indeed wonderful news. I'm cautiously optimistic. No party until there's camera in my hand....
Yeah... my lens order is now "In Progress" but my R5 body is still backordered. So now I'm thinking the information I received wasn't accurate for the R5 ( that a shipment would come in that would fill all lens/camera backorders )

Upvote 0
Just got off of the Phone with Adorama, and was told they have no date as to when my ordered will be filled. I pre Ordered July 9th at 10;22 am. I know we are in a Pandemic, But don't put up a Date of Oct 20th that your going to have cameras back in stock. Also For the love of GOD why does Canon keep Announcing more Cameras when they can't Fulfill the PRE-ORDERS FOR A CAMERA that's nearly almost 4 months old and that we have know about almost 9 months. I guess it wouldn't be so bad but My credit Card has already been Charged for the cameras, so I am paying on something I don't even have. OH Well... First World problems I guess...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

chreeeeees

R5 + R + 6D Mark II
CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
instagram.com
I just picked up my R5 from my local camera shop today. I initially preordered the R6 on July 29 but then switched it to the R5 and paid it in full on August 15. I didnt know when I'd get my camera as the shop stated "we will call you when its here". I was getting a little discouraged yesterday because no call but I was pleasantly surprised today with the call. It seemed like they had gotten a handful number of cameras. Now to shoot brick walls and stuff.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
For anyone that has their R5, Have they been able to find a codec so they can view the CR3 thumbnails in windows 10 file explorer? I kept going to microsoft, so they say to go get a program, but when I download it, it doesn't help, and they don't have the R5 listed as a compatible camera.

I can see my CR3 images in windows 10 file explorer including my R5. The list hasn't been updated to include the R5 yet but it works.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I must say I am quite disappointed with Canon. I ordered early with Adorama and have yet to receive any news. Originally told September, then October 20 now I just get a shrug. The frustrating part is that I see updates from the Canon Direct Store who is continually getting stock. It seems Canon is doing a poor job of supporting distributors and keeping sales in house. Maybe just perception but it seems this is something they should be cognizant of.
I ordered mine from Canon USA on July 9 along with a spare battery. They sent the battery but messed up my camera order and I had to cancel and reorder on October 12. I'm still waiting. So I'm not sure that Canon USA is faster for anyone. Certainly not my experience.

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
I ordered mine from Canon USA on July 9 along with a spare battery. They sent the battery but messed up my camera order and I had to cancel and reorder on October 12. I'm still waiting. So I'm not sure that Canon USA is faster for anyone. Certainly not my experience.
I had a similar bad experience, I've been waiting with B&H but noticed it was in stock on the Canon USA web store so I placed an order there. It went through but then my order was cancelled without any explanation and my card refunded. The product status then immediately reverted back to out of stock.

I ordered from B&H July 27 and I just got a confirmation email, my r5 will be here Tuesday!!
Great news, I guess they've cleared out most of the July orders then. Now just Aug and Sept to go before they get to mine. :)

Upvote 0
My information is purely anecdotal, however I know quite a few people who received theirs from Canon Direct after canceling from one of the larger distributors. It may be entirely off, just the feeling I get.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0