Shooting in the rain w/ our new model/singer Kirin. (Shot on T3I)

Hey whats up guys! I shot this music video at night in the rain w/ our new music artist & wanted to get some input!
Whole video was shot on my canon T3I w/ my 35MM F/2 and 17-40mm L F/4!
This is her first time performing in a music video, what do you guys think? I've had about a year/halfs worth of experience with filming/editing.

Kirin Jain - "Marvin's Room" (Cover) Official Music Video

Ok, well the quality is pretty damn good and everything was in focus, so you've got two big parts down haha.

The pacing is a little bit off though. The beginning starts off a little fast with a few quick cuts, then slows, then speeds back up, but the tempo of the music never changed. Make sure the pacing of the editing matches the tempo of the song (unless it's a stylistic choice, in which case it should be very prominent).

Also, in the majority of her closeups she was framed too far to the right, leaving too much dead space in front of her. Her chin was also cut off multiple times, which is something you want to avoid if you can. Cut an actor's forehead before you cut a chin; it looks more natural to the eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume the final aspect ratio was 1:2.35? I know that probably made it difficult shooting on a t3i where you have a 1:1.85 aspect ratio going on. I think using some sort of guide line on the screen may have helped. There was a screen shot of film crew for "Act of Valor" using a 5Dmk3 and they had thin lines of white tape marking their ratio. Not exactly the most professional way of going about it, but hey, it works, and that may help the framing issues.

It was good overall though, so don't let my critique let you think otherwise. I do this for a living, and those are some things I've had to learn the hard way. Hope that helped and good luck with your future projects!

Upvote 0
DanThePhotoMan said:
Ok, well the quality is pretty damn good and everything was in focus, so you've got two big parts down haha.

The pacing is a little bit off though. The beginning starts off a little fast with a few quick cuts, then slows, then speeds back up, but the tempo of the music never changed. Make sure the pacing of the editing matches the tempo of the song (unless it's a stylistic choice, in which case it should be very prominent).

Also, in the majority of her closeups she was framed too far to the right, leaving too much dead space in front of her. Her chin was also cut off multiple times, which is something you want to avoid if you can. Cut an actor's forehead before you cut a chin; it looks more natural to the eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume the final aspect ratio was 1:2.35? I know that probably made it difficult shooting on a t3i where you have a 1:1.85 aspect ratio going on. I think using some sort of guide line on the screen may have helped. There was a screen shot of film crew for "Act of Valor" using a 5Dmk3 and they had thin lines of white tape marking their ratio. Not exactly the most professional way of going about it, but hey, it works, and that may help the framing issues.

It was good overall though, so don't let my critique let you think otherwise. I do this for a living, and those are some things I've had to learn the hard way. Hope that helped and good luck with your future projects!

Thanks for watching, as well as the input Dan! I am most definitely going to consider covering my lcd screen on-camera to help with the framing for my next shoot. I will pay closer attention to that for future references, as well as the pacing. I really hope to get my hands on a MK2 or MK3 sometime shortly, so in the mean time I'm trying to max my use on this T3i! Appreciate the input man

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Technically accomplished, aesthetically rich, great looking girl with good voice.

I just didn't get the point of it, I felt it was weak when it came to narrative and this was belied by the repition of angles and shots.

You have the skills, maybe some more time on concept and treatment.

If I was shooting stuff this nice looking a year and a half in I'd have been delighted.

May I ask if everything was down to you? I eork extensively with a producer who can't even rig a single light, but two heads are better than one, I just think this video needs more ideas, all the elements are there, just needs a stronger foundation or structure.

I really hate to come accross as negative, or even condescending, but you asked for my opinion, which is largely positive, especially considering the modest kit used.

Final grumble. I hate idents. You don't see them on mtv. It detracts from the act, and sorry to say, ultimately you are subservient to the act, you are making a video for them, they aren't singing for you. Sad to say but uf you are doing your job well most folk won't even register you were even involved.

Just an opinion. You should be very proud of this. I really look forward to seeing what you make next. Without an ident.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Technically accomplished, aesthetically rich, great looking girl with good voice.

I just didn't get the point of it, I felt it was weak when it came to narrative and this was belied by the repition of angles and shots.

You have the skills, maybe some more time on concept and treatment.

If I was shooting stuff this nice looking a year and a half in I'd have been delighted.

May I ask if everything was down to you? I eork extensively with a producer who can't even rig a single light, but two heads are better than one, I just think this video needs more ideas, all the elements are there, just needs a stronger foundation or structure.

I really hate to come accross as negative, or even condescending, but you asked for my opinion, which is largely positive, especially considering the modest kit used.

Final grumble. I hate idents. You don't see them on mtv. It detracts from the act, and sorry to say, ultimately you are subservient to the act, you are making a video for them, they aren't singing for you. Sad to say but uf you are doing your job well most folk won't even register you were even involved.

Just an opinion. You should be very proud of this. I really look forward to seeing what you make next. Without an ident.

Thanks Paul! To be completely honest, her & I had planned to execute a different song. After about an hour in the studio down & still not sounding right we decided to completely switch everything up, & I had her do a song she was much more comfortable with (Marvin's Room). Given that, we had run out of time and I was only able to get 2 takes inside the studio, which didn't come out too great in my opinion, but we still thought we would use a few clips.

As far as the Ident, if I understand you correctly. We just released a new brand of ours (Motif Media Girls) with her (Kirin) being the first feature. So It did feel somewhat necessary to tag the beginning, considering we do want people to know she is in-fact our artist.

I really appreciate the input & your time!

Upvote 0