Should I go for the 85mm F1.2L II USM ?

Hi,

At last I managed somehow to save up some $$$ to purchase and upgrade my equipment especially my lenses. So one of THE lenses I was aiming for is the king of Bokeh .. THE 85mm F1.2L II USM, well it's Expensive alright but from what I see it's really worth the cash, but what confused me is that I've heard some complaints about it's performance in low light and how it keeps hunting for focus though it's a USM name holder, I'm about the fact that I might not be comfortable with it since focusing speed is an issue for me personally and might be for others as well, so should I go for it or wait if there's an upcoming upgrade ..

And thanks in advance ^^

Mar 14, 2012
If the 85L II is what you have your sights on, go for it. The 85L II is designed as a portrait lens, and for that purpose, it works well. It's harder to justify if the 85L II would be your only lens at that focal length and if you need for other scenarios, but when you have the 70-200 II too, the 85L II will be used mostly for portraiture while the 70-200 can be used for sports, etc.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
The 85L does not hunt for focus in good light or in low light, in my experience (although the 100 L macro sometimes does). I would not expect an upgrade of the current version anytime soon. The 85L II is a relatively young lens (2006, IIRC). The MkII upgrade increased the AF speed, and given the front-focusing lens design and the heavy front element, focus speed likely cannot be made too much faster, without a major redesign of the lens. It's not a lens to be used for shooting sports or action, at least on most bodies (it focuses faster on 1-series bodies, so it actually does okay with those).

As a portrait lens, it's exceptional – I'd say go for it!

(Sidenote, I'd call the 85L the Grand Duke of Bokeh – the king's crown goes to the 200/2. ;) )

Upvote 0
Go for it - no lens is perfect, but you can't beat this lens for portraits - it rocks head shots, head & shoulders, 3/4, and full-length shots.

The cons list & how to deal with them:

1. It's f/1.2 and the DOF is paper thin. Use Focal or other tools to calibrate the AFMA. Use cross points to focus.

2. The AF is slow. Shoot portraits (as intended) with it, or pre-focus/stop down if you shoot moving subjects.

3. The AF is focus-by-wire. My least favorite, but it still focuses okay once you get used to it, and AF works very accurately.

4. It's heavy. Use a tripod if needed, and use a 1D_, 5D_, or 6D with it - Rebels are a bit off balance, but still very useable.

5. The rear element is shockingly exposed. Be damned careful when mounting/unmounting the lens and carry insurance.

The Pros - just look at photos taken with it...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
CanonNerdy said:
Hi,

At last I managed somehow to save up some $$$ to purchase and upgrade my equipment especially my lenses. So one of THE lenses I was aiming for is the king of Bokeh .. THE 85mm F1.2L II USM, well it's Expensive alright but from what I see it's really worth the cash, but what confused me is that I've heard some complaints about it's performance in low light and how it keeps hunting for focus though it's a USM name holder, I'm about the fact that I might not be comfortable with it since focusing speed is an issue for me personally and might be for others as well, so should I go for it or wait if there's an upcoming upgrade ..

And thanks in advance ^^

No, this lens doesn't hunt in low light. Avoid focus from infinity to close up - AF is slow when you in this situation.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Dylan777 said:
CanonNerdy said:
Hi,

And thanks in advance ^^

No, this lens doesn't hunt in low light. Avoid focus from infinity to close up - AF is slow when you in this situation.

Agreed that there is no hunting at all. For focusing from infinity to close up or vice versa, simply use the manual override and let the AF take it from there to speed up matters.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
Not to hijack the thread - but I have a question for you other 85L II owners... Took my B&H new lens out of the box and ran it through FoCal - got a solid AFMA setting... Went to do the aperture sharpness test - I always go into Live View at 10x and use a Hoodman loupe with 3x to fine-tune the focus... The focus ring just spins - does not change focus or change the distance in the window - regardless of whether the lens was set to AF or M... Is there some trick to getting Manual focus on this lens? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Old Shooter said:
Not to hijack the thread - but I have a question for you other 85L II owners... Took my B&H new lens out of the box and ran it through FoCal - got a solid AFMA setting... Went to do the aperture sharpness test - I always go into Live View at 10x and use a Hoodman loupe with 3x to fine-tune the focus... The focus ring just spins - does not change focus or change the distance in the window - regardless of whether the lens was set to AF or M... Is there some trick to getting Manual focus on this lens? Thanks in advance!

Half press the shutter, so metering is active. It's a focus-by-wire lens, so manual focus only works if the autofocus motor is powered. If you like to store your lenses with the extending fronts retracted, you will have to get into the habit of retracting the front focusing element before you turn off your camera.

Upvote 0
CanonNerdy said:
Hi,

And thanks in advance ^^

I use it with a 5d3 and have no hunting issues. It does AF slower than most lenses but for portraits who cares and I usually focus manually. It is a purpose built lens and shines best at f2 and wider. If I don't plan to use it wide open, I usually choose another lens...just my opinion.

It's well worth the money and will eventually pay for itself.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
neuroanatomist said:
Old Shooter said:

Half press the shutter, so metering is active. It's a focus-by-wire lens, so manual focus only works if the autofocus motor is powered. If you like to store your lenses with the extending fronts retracted, you will have to get into the habit of retracting the front focusing element before you turn off your camera.

Thanks neuro! I was driving myself crazy!

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 16, 2011
East Wind Photography said:
I use it with a 5d3 and have no hunting issues. It does AF slower than most lenses but for portraits who cares and I usually focus manually. It is a purpose built lens and shines best at f2 and wider. If I don't plan to use it wide open, I usually choose another lens...just my opinion.

It's well worth the money and will eventually pay for itself.

Yes, if you don't want to shoot WAO or close to it, you can save some $$ and get the 85/1.8, which is still a fast lens and a very nice lens for the money(and it focuses closer and is MUCH lighter and smaller). I own both 85's(actually three if you count the CN-E 85) and you can get great results with either of them, but as many, many others have said many, many times, there is just something magical about the 85/1.2 and I agree. It has great bokeh, it renders skin tones beautifully and with such shallow DOF when opened up, you can really separate your subject from the background(or foreground) and make them 'pop'. I used it at my Mom's birthday party at work about five months ago and I shot some posed shots of her and my Grandmother 'available' under all fluorescent lighting, WAO and the skin tones and separation were beautiful.

If you can afford it, get it and you will love it.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
CanonNerdy said:
Hi,

And thanks in advance ^^

Some thoughts:

1) rebates just ended and you could have gotten the 85L II $500 cheaper literally a week ago. If you are going to wait, the only reason would be to take advantage of a sale, as you will be paying full price now.

2) this lens came out too recently and to have a replacement anytime soon

3) The 85L does focus *slow*. It is one of the slowest focusing lenses in Canon's lineup - if not the slowest.

4) If you want that creamy bokeh, you may also want to consider the 50L 1.2 which is *MUCH* faster in focusing. The 50L 1.2 has very similar bokeh to the 85L but it works better in tight spots, etc. It is not quite as sharp as the 85L, but it is not a difference a customer would notice. The 50L also is more versatile as it is wider. The downside of the 50L is that it requires a bit more skill to handle, as similar to the Leica 50mm Noctilux it has a focus shift when stopping down especially near MFD; Canon did this purposely in the design to provide similar bokeh to the 85L despite being at a wider focal length. And, if you want that creamy bokeh you probably aren't going to be shooting at f2-f4 all that often anyway, as a much cheaper lens could serve this purpose. I do not see the 50L replaced anytime soon as it is a recent design so it is another "Safe" bet, and you will save a lot of cash going this route.

5) Another option is the 135L which has beautiful bokeh, but this focal length is a bit too long for me to not have Image Stabilization especially as its only f/2, and I do think the 135L will be replaced soon with an IS-enabled version given its age and pricing.

So my advice: #1, you are going to pay through the nose if you don't wait for a sale, #2 the 85L is fantastic but there is no getting around it is by far the slowest focusing Canon lens that I know of, #3 the 50L is probably a better alternative for more normal focusing speed while giving you similar bokeh - though it does require a bit more know-how to use properly.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Get it you will not be disappointed!Focus is only slow from MFD to infinity and i personally do not think its slow for what i use it for.I just got mines a couple of months ago here are some photos taken with it :).
This was it with the 5dmk3

Morgan by Lseriesglass, on Flickr

with the 1dx

Ivett by Lseriesglass, on Flickr

again 1dx

Joy by Lseriesglass, on Flickr

Amanda by Lseriesglass, on Flickr1dx

Attachments

• 1DX_2636.jpg
    1DX_2636.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 857
  • 1DX_2669.jpg
    1DX_2669.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
bornshooter said:
Get it you will not be disappointed!Focus is only slow from MFD to infinity and i personally do not think its slow for what i use it for.

I do not want to take away from the 85L as it is a superlative lens, but it is the slowest focusing L lens I know of under 200mm.

If one is willing to give up a bit of sharpness for focusing speed, versatility, and less bulk/weight - the 50L may be a better choice.

If you are using the lens for events or anything that requires quick focus or tight quarters, the 50L is better. For straight portrait work where you have control over the target the 85L is better.

Here is a video made by photographer TIM NOSENZO comparing focusing speed of the 50L to the 85L:
http://www.timnosenzophoto.com/Other/Gear/n-nH5fW/i-h6q5tnG/A
The 50L is not quite, but almost twice as fast compared to the 85L in focusing speed.

It is actually great to own both, really a question of the specific application which one would use more.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Ruined said:
bornshooter said:
Get it you will not be disappointed!Focus is only slow from MFD to infinity and i personally do not think its slow for what i use it for.

I do not want to take away from the 85L as it is a superlative lens, but it is the slowest focusing L lens I know of under 200mm.

If one is willing to give up a bit of sharpness for focusing speed, versatility, and less bulk/weight - the 50L may be a better choice.

If you are using the lens for events or anything that requires quick focus or tight quarters, the 50L is better. For straight portrait work where you have control over the target the 85L is better.

Here is a video made by photographer TIM NOSENZO comparing focusing speed of the 50L to the 85L:
http://www.timnosenzophoto.com/Other/Gear/n-nH5fW/i-h6q5tnG/A
The 50L is not quite, but almost twice as fast compared to the 85L in focusing speed.

It is actually great to own both, really a question of the specific application which one would use more.
I never said it was the fastest,but this is the portrait lens and it does that very well IMO it produces photos that no other lens can,its a specialty lens if i want fast focus i have the 70-200 mk2 which is fast but i have had no issues with the 851.2 :).
My advice rent it and use it for a week :)

Upvote 0