Show your Bird Portraits

Aussie shooter

www.facebook.com/BrettGuyPhotography/
Dec 6, 2016
Hi All, I've been enjoying all your photos for a while now. Really beautiful work.

I'm not really a "bird photographer" (yet anyway), I primarily do architecture, travel and landscapes, but I do enjoy photographing the occasional bird I pass in my neighborhood when I go for a walk. These weren't photographed to be particularly artistic as I was mostly just testing out various camera / lens combinations to see what works best, but I figured I'd post anyway as these birds are a little different. Going forward, I'll work a bit more on the artistic side of it.

This is all in Florida right around my house. Most of the land around me is designated as nature preserve, so we get lots of birds and animals that naturally flock here (no pun intended). Anyway, hope to post a bit more as I get more accustomed to framing bird portraits.

All photos taken with either Canon EOS M6, 5D Mark II or EOS RP. Lens is either EF 400mm F5.6L or EF 70-200 F4 IS.

Red Shouldered Hawk

View attachment 188114

Anhinga

View attachment 188115

Sandhill Crane

View attachment 188116

Blue Heron

View attachment 188117

View attachment 188118

Egret

View attachment 188119

View attachment 188120
Pretty sweet images for someone who is 'not a bird photographer'

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Nice shot. Did you crop or were 2.5m too wide for the frame? We got lots of albatrosses in the Galapagos, and I should post one or two.
I did crop for this composition. Was only shooting with the 70-200 and if you want to get some detail on the face one must sacrifice some of the wings ;)

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi All, I've been enjoying all your photos for a while now. Really beautiful work.

I'm not really a "bird photographer" (yet anyway), I primarily do architecture, travel and landscapes, but I do enjoy photographing the occasional bird I pass in my neighborhood when I go for a walk. These weren't photographed to be particularly artistic as I was mostly just testing out various camera / lens combinations to see what works best, but I figured I'd post anyway as these birds are a little different. Going forward, I'll work a bit more on the artistic side of it.

This is all in Florida right around my house. Most of the land around me is designated as nature preserve, so we get lots of birds and animals that naturally flock here (no pun intended). Anyway, hope to post a bit more as I get more accustomed to framing bird portraits.

All photos taken with either Canon EOS M6, 5D Mark II or EOS RP. Lens is either EF 400mm F5.6L or EF 70-200 F4 IS.

Red Shouldered Hawk

View attachment 188114

Anhinga

View attachment 188115

Sandhill Crane

View attachment 188116

Blue Heron

View attachment 188117

View attachment 188118

Egret

View attachment 188119

View attachment 188120
Sorry, you will be hooked. We had a great birdwatching holiday in Florida a year ago. It's a super place for birding.

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Pretty sweet images for someone who is 'not a bird photographer'
Ha, thanks, appreciated. I'm not used to "moving subjects" and usually shoot 95% on a tripod, so this is definitely something new and fun for me. I very much appreciate all of your talents in photographing your birds, it is not easy!

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I did crop for this composition. Was only shooting with the 70-200 and if you want to get some detail on the face one must sacrifice some of the wings ;)
I thought you probably did because it was a very nice composition.

Last edited:

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Sorry, you will be hooked. We had a great birdwatching holiday in Florida a year ago. It's a super place for birding.
Yes, I can definitely see birding becoming a new part of my photography. It is both incredibly relaxing and really enjoyable. (Plus I get a little well-needed exercise!).

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Aussie, here are a couple of albatross shots. The birds kissing was taken by my wife. She thinks they are great, pairing for life.
We had quite hike on the island of Espanola.
DSC00955-DxO_albatrosses_kissing.jpg
3Q7A6148-DxO_albatross_flying_wings_outstretched_best_small.jpg

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Aussie, here are a couple of albatross shots. The birds kissing was taken by my wife. She thinks they are great, pairing for life.
We had quite hike on the island of Espanola.
View attachment 188128View attachment 188129
Nice. They were about the only thing we did not see in the Galapagos but that was not surprising as we did the central and western islands and I think the Albatross tend to be more on the eastern and southern islands. They really are quite a unique looking Albatross compared to all the others I have seen

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Just going through and re editing some old images. Found this one that i always like a bit but just never found the right way to present it. Untill now. This is why you never throw away images. Giant petrel on the Antarctic peninsula
IMG_20200109_172603_606.jpg