Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I once saw a male Bullfinch in my garden, but coming back from a walk with my camera at hand, I saw a female Bullfinch on a new feeder - the first time I have ever seen a female anywhere. Then the male came along. They both returned in the evening - it's rather exciting. I am wondering whether the design of feeder makes a difference. The old one had a cage around it to keep the squirrels out, which might have inhibited the Bullfinches? The new one is squirrel proof without a cage.

DSC_5509-DxO_female_bullfinch.jpg
DSC_5527-DxO_male_bullfinch.jpg

Vern

EOS RP
Jun 11, 2013
Sat in the heat this afternoon and shot some hummingbirds and compared the 5DMKIV to the 5DRS. Autofocus seemed to perform better on the MKIV and definitely had a higher rate of keepers, but the extra pixels on such a small subject helped when the 5DRS did give a good result. First two pics are 5DMKIV, last one is 5DSR. Both with 600II + 1.4XIII and fill flash at ISO800, f 5.6.
_I4A5774_4post.JPG
_I4A5783_4post.JPG
8F8A7890_4post.JPG

dcm

Good or bad - it's not the gear.
Apr 18, 2013
Got to watch three juvenile Swainson's hawks hanging out in the backyard from my office window for a few hours. Twice a parent flew by with a snake and they all joined the chase before returning after the snack. At times they were calling continuously like they were still in the nest.

DCML5489.jpg

Eventually the sky cleared a bit and they posed together for a photo.

IMG_2289.jpg

Also got some video and audio with a shotgun mic. Nothing cinematic, the lighting was awful.

Last edited:

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Sat in the heat this afternoon and shot some hummingbirds and compared the 5DMKIV to the 5DRS. Autofocus seemed to perform better on the MKIV and definitely had a higher rate of keepers, but the extra pixels on such a small subject helped when the 5DRS did give a good result. First two pics are 5DMKIV, last one is 5DSR. Both with 600II + 1.4XIII and fill flash at ISO800, f 5.6.

Beautiful series, Vern. I really like the first shot.

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I once saw a male Bullfinch in my garden, but coming back from a walk with my camera at hand, I saw a female Bullfinch on a new feeder - the first time I have ever seen a female anywhere. Then the male came along. They both returned in the evening - it's rather exciting. I am wondering whether the design of feeder makes a difference. The old one had a cage around it to keep the squirrels out, which might have inhibited the Bullfinches? The new one is squirrel proof without a cage.
On registering my new "Squirrel Buster" feeder, discovered it was made in Canada! Not surprising, considering the huge number of birders there, out of proportion to the size of the population, it seems from CR and FM.

• Haha
Reactions: ISv and Bert63

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
On registering my new "Squirrel Buster" feeder, discovered it was made in Canada! Not surprising, considering the huge number of birders there, out of proportion to the size of the population, it seems from CR and FM.

I'm dying over here at the 'Squirrel Buster' name.

Vern

EOS RP
Jun 11, 2013
Couple more hummers with the 5DSR - even managed to get a decent one at f8. Really on the knife edge with ISO -vs- f-stop -vs- DOF -vs- shutter speed. Luckily I figured out how to shoot from an open window, sparing me the sweat factor (96F here today).
8F8A7980_4post.JPG
8F8A7991_4post.JPG