"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: Bert63

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Saffron finch, it seems they are preparing for the next round of breeding.

DSC_6130_DxO.jpg
DSC_6150_DxO.jpg
DSC_6158_DxO.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Finally! An Oystercatcher that caught an … oyster! :D
Tron, for a wile I was hesitating to comment on your comment ( :)) but since here we are community of mix photographers/naturalist I can't resist: We still have to wait for a photo of oystercatcher catching true Oyster (oyster is ambiguous) because the shellfish on that photos is a Scallop (also ambiguous but both groups have very distinctive shells). Not big deal at all but there is that devil in me that always make me uncomfortable when I see miss-identification (and in the same time I hate my photos of interesting/rare for my location birds that are not good at all and it's very painful!).

Last edited:

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Jack! Your smile makes me feel like my comment makes some sense (at least for some of the public if not the for the entire public on this topic...).
I was really hesitating to post it - in these times you can go rude even if you don't mean it (it could be served as just an interpretation, especially if someone looks for an alternative of what you mean). Any way - thanks again!

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Jack! Your smile makes me feel like my comment makes some sense (at least for some of the public if not the for the entire public on this topic...).
I was really hesitating to post it - in these times you can go rude even if you don't mean it (it could be served as just an interpretation, especially if someone looks for an alternative of what you mean). Any way - thanks again!
I think Tron, like me, is not going to take offence over trivial things and that's what makes this thread nicer than some others. And we appreciate your knowledge and insight. Anyway, the clam was a joke to begin with and made me smile almost as much as your reply. ;)

Jack

Reactions: tron

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've been trying to test the 400mm DO II on the R5 under real conditions but there are so few birds around. A Green Woodpecker was eating insects in our back garden. They are so skittish the only chance of getting a shot is through our terrible double glazing. The top one is at 800mm using the 2xTC (cropped and reduced by 50% to fit here) the lower at 560mm with the 1.4xTC at about original size, at iso 3200..
309A5953-DxO_DO_800green_woodpecker-lsss_small.jpg
309A6035-DxO_DO_560green_woodpecker-lsss_small.jpg

tron

EOS R5
CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Alan that's not a house. It's a birder's paradise!

Are you satisfied with your new combo?

Jul 12, 2013
5D3_6831 ps3 fix crop - Copy.jpg
5D3_6832 PS3 fix crop - Copy.jpg
5D3_6833 ps3 fix - Copy.jpg

...three successive images (each 0.167 second apart; 6 fps I guess)--processed to brighten the hungry cedar waxing shown in each pic.

I've seen this several times with more than one species--the berry is in the bird's mouth before being flipped in the air and then captured again mid-air before it disappears.

Thanks for this little corner of the internet. The entertainment value during these COVID times is terrific...and I often learn a thing or two as well! Bravo

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 194048 View attachment 194049 View attachment 194050

...three successive images (each 0.167 second apart; 6 fps I guess)--processed to brighten the hungry cedar waxing shown in each pic.

I've seen this several times with more than one species--the berry is in the bird's mouth before being flipped in the air and then captured again mid-air before it disappears.

Thanks for this little corner of the internet. The entertainment value during these COVID times is terrific...and I often learn a thing or two as well! Bravo
I love these waxwings. They visited here for a couple of weeks a few years ago, and I went out almost daily to watch them.

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For those interested, I occasionally go for a walk where a Little Owl perches on a log pile, some 50m on the other side of an electrified fence. Here are 3 shots of him taken with 3 different lenses from the same spot over the last month. Top is from the 100-400mm II + 2xTC on the R5, below from the 400mm DO II on the R5 taken this morning and bottom, the 500PF + 1.4xTC on the D850. All were hand held - the DO II was much of a struggle holding the centre spot over the bird. All processed in DxOPL4 with standard lens correction and no additional sharpening, and all small crops of about 1600x1200 px from the centre. OK, the 200-800 isn't the best but it's not too bad for an image that small.

309A2920-DxO_200-800_little_owl_larger_crop-0.6.jpg
309A6127-DxO_DO800_little_owl_larger_crop-0.6.jpg
DSC_9886-DxO_700PF_little_owl_larger_crop.jpg

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Very nice series, Joseph Andrew, I especially like the second shot. Well done.

Reactions: ISv

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan that's not a house. It's a birder's paradise!

Are you satisfied with your new combo?
Photographic quality, yes. It's a good copy of the 400mm DO II lens - they do vary - and it produces good sharp images at 800mm. Unlike on my 5DSR, 5DIV and 90D, where the AF at 800mm f/8 was erratic, it's very precise and fast on the R5. The problem for me is that it is just above my comfort zone for weight. I feel it on my shoulder with the BlackRapid strap and I find it difficult to hand-hold steady pointing at a small bird.

Reactions: tron
<-- start Taboola -->