Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's been a while since I've posted. All the ones from this (long) "redbud" series are with the R5 & RF 800 f11 (I wanted to take a lot of photos with it to see what it could do for me). It's minimum focus is too long to use through my window slider opening, so I went out on the back deck to get further away so the birds would be in focus. I've started using PL4 with +2 lens sharpening since AlanF mentioned good luck with it, and still use deep prime output. But almost all of these have *no* additional tweaks whatsoever as there was plenty of sun and color already from our redbud tree in late bloom.

Mourning dove:
A03_1485_1_2k90%.jpg

A03_1491_1_2k90%.jpg

White throated sparrow:
A03_1560_1_2k90%.jpg

Carolina chickadee:
A03_1629_1_2k90%.jpg

Cheers

jprusa

EOS RP
CR Pro
Apr 29, 2013
It's been a while since I've posted. All the ones from this (long) "redbud" series are with the R5 & RF 800 f11 (I wanted to take a lot of photos with it to see what it could do for me). It's minimum focus is too long to use through my window slider opening, so I went out on the back deck to get further away so the birds would be in focus. I've started using PL4 with +2 lens sharpening since AlanF mentioned good luck with it, and still use deep prime output. But almost all of these have *no* additional tweaks whatsoever as there was plenty of sun and color already from our redbud tree in late bloom.

Mourning dove:
View attachment 197707

View attachment 197708

White throated sparrow:
View attachment 197709

Carolina chickadee:
View attachment 197710

Cheers
Very nice shots ! Nice background colors as well.

Reactions: usern4cr

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Very nice series. Well done, usern4cr.

Dockland

EOS RP
Nov 14, 2019
Sweden
The EF 1.4xTC on the 400mm DO was a killer combination, really sharp. The EF 2xTCIII wasn't that good on a high resolution sensor but this RF 2x is working really well so it could make the RF 400mm DO into a very sharp 800mm.

Actually I have a pretty good deal on the EF 600mm f/4 III as we speak. I might buy that, right now at one store it's down approx $1500, they have one left in stock.

Down $2500. Double checked :)

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
You're right, it's a Green Heron.

Nice shot.
Thanks for the confirmation. The internet images for Green Herons reveal a varied color scheme. Your images show a much more handsome version. It appears the one that posed for me is named Igor.

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Actually I have a pretty good deal on the EF 600mm f/4 III as we speak. I might buy that, right now at one store it's down approx $1500, they have one left in stock.

Down $2500. Double checked :)
I’ve been looking for an in stock EF 600mm f4 III for a couple of months now. if you don’t pick that up would,you be willing to let me know the seller’s details?

Reactions: Dockland

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I got a lot of 11 x 14" frames, and so I cropped all my recent photos to that size in case I want to drop them in to the frames. It's fun to pick a horizontal or vertical crop from the various images, which I consider a main "artistic" part of the whole image path. Occasionally I can't decide which orientation looks better, so I try both. Such is the case with two of the photos shown here. (by the way, there's no added red, saturation or contrast etc in this - it's all what came from the bird).

male Northern Cardinal:
A03_1637_1_2k90%.jpg

A03_1637_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_1638_1_2k90%.jpg

A03_1638_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_1656_1_2k90%.jpg

Cheers

Jul 12, 2013
Every bird image I've posted here is literally a back- (or front-) yard photo...except for a bald eagle atop the Dolphin Hotel at Disney World in Lake Buena Vista FL.

Seeing what the local birds (mostly cardinals, robins, wrens and sparrows) are up to with a decent telephoto lens and DSLR has proven to be a stimulating hobby...especially during the pandemic--I look at Canon Rumors virtually every day.

In the decade or so I've been paying attention and shooting pictures an indigo bunting has never graced our yard--until today (I think).

Not the best images...but good enough to identify an indigo bunting 'breeding male'.

Interesting to read that the indigo bunting is related to the northern cardinal (we see plenty of those).

And now, after reading our bird book a bit and learning about indigo buntings, I suspect I have come across a female/immature male indigo bunting in past years--I just didn't know what I was looking at.

In any event, a strikingly different-looking bird in this particular corner of the state of Illinois--its blueness really stands out.

5D3_1689 ps3 fix - Copy.jpg

...now if only one or two of those pileated woodpeckers would stop by...

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
I got a lot of 11 x 14" frames, and so I cropped all my recent photos to that size in case I want to drop them in to the frames. It's fun to pick a horizontal or vertical crop from the various images, which I consider a main "artistic" part of the whole image path. Occasionally I can't decide which orientation looks better, so I try both. Such is the case with two of the photos shown here. (by the way, there's no added red, saturation or contrast etc in this - it's all what came from the bird).

male Northern Cardinal:
View attachment 197716

View attachment 197717

View attachment 197718

View attachment 197719

View attachment 197720

Cheers
...how exactly do you print for your 11x14 frames? Commercial lab or do you print at home?