Show your Bird Portraits

The EF 1.4xTC on the 400mm DO was a killer combination, really sharp. The EF 2xTCIII wasn't that good on a high resolution sensor but this RF 2x is working really well so it could make the RF 400mm DO into a very sharp 800mm.

Actually I have a pretty good deal on the EF 600mm f/4 III as we speak. I might buy that, right now at one store it's down approx $1500, they have one left in stock.

Down $2500. Double checked :)

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Actually I have a pretty good deal on the EF 600mm f/4 III as we speak. I might buy that, right now at one store it's down approx $1500, they have one left in stock.

Down $2500. Double checked :)
I’ve been looking for an in stock EF 600mm f4 III for a couple of months now. if you don’t pick that up would,you be willing to let me know the seller’s details?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the confirmation. The internet images for Green Herons reveal a varied color scheme. Your images show a much more handsome version. It appears the one that posed for me is named Igor.
Here are a couple of Green Herons of differing colouring, the one in the bush from Florida and the other from Guyaquil.3Q7A4313-DxO_green_heron.jpgDSC09544-DxO_Green_Heron.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I got a lot of 11 x 14" frames, and so I cropped all my recent photos to that size in case I want to drop them in to the frames. It's fun to pick a horizontal or vertical crop from the various images, which I consider a main "artistic" part of the whole image path. Occasionally I can't decide which orientation looks better, so I try both. Such is the case with two of the photos shown here. (by the way, there's no added red, saturation or contrast etc in this - it's all what came from the bird).

male Northern Cardinal:
A03_1637_1_2k90%.jpg

A03_1637_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_1638_1_2k90%.jpg

A03_1638_2_2k90%.jpg

A03_1656_1_2k90%.jpg

Cheers

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Every bird image I've posted here is literally a back- (or front-) yard photo...except for a bald eagle atop the Dolphin Hotel at Disney World in Lake Buena Vista FL.

Seeing what the local birds (mostly cardinals, robins, wrens and sparrows) are up to with a decent telephoto lens and DSLR has proven to be a stimulating hobby...especially during the pandemic--I look at Canon Rumors virtually every day.

In the decade or so I've been paying attention and shooting pictures an indigo bunting has never graced our yard--until today (I think).

Not the best images...but good enough to identify an indigo bunting 'breeding male'.

Interesting to read that the indigo bunting is related to the northern cardinal (we see plenty of those).

And now, after reading our bird book a bit and learning about indigo buntings, I suspect I have come across a female/immature male indigo bunting in past years--I just didn't know what I was looking at.

In any event, a strikingly different-looking bird in this particular corner of the state of Illinois--its blueness really stands out.

5D3_1689 ps3 fix - Copy.jpg

...now if only one or two of those pileated woodpeckers would stop by...

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I got a lot of 11 x 14" frames, and so I cropped all my recent photos to that size in case I want to drop them in to the frames. It's fun to pick a horizontal or vertical crop from the various images, which I consider a main "artistic" part of the whole image path. Occasionally I can't decide which orientation looks better, so I try both. Such is the case with two of the photos shown here. (by the way, there's no added red, saturation or contrast etc in this - it's all what came from the bird).

male Northern Cardinal:
View attachment 197716

View attachment 197717

View attachment 197718

View attachment 197719

View attachment 197720

Cheers
...how exactly do you print for your 11x14 frames? Commercial lab or do you print at home?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Lovely shot, Click!

Thank you, usern4cr. :)

Beautiful series.
d055.gif

Upvote 0
I’ve been looking for an in stock EF 600mm f4 III for a couple of months now. if you don’t pick that up would,you be willing to let me know the seller’s details?

I bought it myself. Will arrive on monday or tuesday next week. The price was $15686 (instead of ordinary price $18703) translated from Swedish krona to US $.
It's going to be a fun summer :)

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Pond visitors checking out the waterfall and sunning on a fake stone covering the pump well. First time I caught the dove outside the shadows of its nest in the spruce.

R6, RF800, handheld. DxO PL4, crop, deep prime, camera rendering, levels to soften the shadows. I'm really liking this combination of equipment and software.

Bubble Bath
DMR62110.jpg

DMR62102.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
...how exactly do you print for your 11x14 frames? Commercial lab or do you print at home?
I recently got a Canon Prograf pro 4100 printer. It's huge (bigger than my desk). But it's the best thing I've ever got, regarding the flow of photography from camera to printed image. I previously was sending files to Whitewall in Germany, and they sent back beautiful prints. But so many have talked about the joy of printing yourself that I decided to bite the bullet and get this printer, with a 2nd roll added. It took a while to get everything set up. I got a 17" wide roll of Canon glossy photo 200 paper to let the printer calibrate it's colors and for trial prints. I also got a 24" roll of Moab Entrada Rag Bright 190 paper for printing my prints. I also got some Moab "Entradalopes" (7" x 10" creased cut sheets which fold to 5 x 7" cards) which I used for test printing to get the colors right for that paper. The Moab people made a special file for me to get their Entrada settings loaded into the 4100 (which Canon doesn't make easy).

In Affinity Photo I create a single image with six 11" x 14" photos packed together with appropriate spacing between and margins around and print that as a single 22 x 42" image on the 24" roll. The printer auto-cuts it off the roll. I spray that with Moab dessert varnish to protect it from UV and fingerprints. Then I cut a slightly smaller size from 3/16" gatorboard and use a roller to coat the gatorboard with Breathing Color Glamour 2 varnish (glue) and glue that to the back of the 22 x 42" photo. Dry, then cut & trim with a sharp utility knife on a self-healing mat into 6 photos. Place each photo into the back of the frames and use a Framemaster point-driver to hold it in (that really works well!). Then screw in the hanging wire and you're done.

It is so much fun to have a printer like this - I've never had anything like it before. If I wanted, I could make a print 44" tall by up to 59 feet long. Obviously I won't do that, but I do intend to use a 44" roll to print a 44 x 96" print to fit on a single 48 x 96" sheet of gatorboard. I'm getting a underpinner (on backorder but hope to get it soon) and will order some boxes of framing sticks (10 foot lengths typically) to make frames to any size for all the larger prints I want to create. My wife is totally behind me on this (what luck!). But our compromise is to drive 20 (or so) year old cars and forgo getting fancy new ones and are relatively frugal with our other expenses, other than travel (which still feeds into photography).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I recently got a Canon Prograf pro 4100 printer. It's huge (bigger than my desk). But it's the best thing I've ever got, regarding the flow of photography from camera to printed image. I previously was sending files to Whitewall in Germany, and they sent back beautiful prints. But so many have talked about the joy of printing yourself that I decided to bite the bullet and get this printer, with a 2nd roll added. It took a while to get everything set up. I got a 17" wide roll of Canon glossy photo 200 paper to let the printer calibrate it's colors and for trial prints. I also got a 24" roll of Moab Entrada Rag Bright 190 paper for printing my prints. I also got some Moab "Entradalopes" (7" x 10" creased cut sheets which fold to 5 x 7" cards) which I used for test printing to get the colors right for that paper. The Moab people made a special file I for me to get their Entrada settings loaded into the 4100 (which Canon doesn't make easy).

In Affinity Photo I create a single image with six 11" x 14" photos packed together with appropriate spacing between and margins around and print that as a single 22 x 42" image on the 24" roll. The printer auto-cuts it off the roll. I spray that with Moab dessert varnish to protect it from UV and fingerprints. Then I cut a slightly smaller size from 3/16" gatorboard and use a roller to coat the gatorboard with Breathing Color Glamour 2 varnish (glue) and glue that to the back of the 22 x 42" photo. Dry, then cut & trim with a sharp utility knife on a self-healing mat into 6 photos. Place each photo into the back of the frames and use a Framemaster point-driver to hold it in (that really works well!). Then screw in the hanging wire and you're done.

It is so much fun to have a printer like this - I've never had anything like it before. If I wanted, I could make a print 44" tall by up to 59 feet long. Obviously I won't do that, but I do intend to use a 44" roll to print a 44 x 96" print to fit on a single 48 x 96" sheet of gatorboard. I'm getting a underpinner (on backorder but hope to get it soon) and will order some boxes of framing sticks (10 foot lengths typically) to make frames to any size for all the larger prints I want to create. My wife is totally behind me on this (what luck!). But our compromise is to drive 20 (or so) year old cars and forgo getting fancy new ones and are relatively frugal with our other expenses, other than travel (which still feeds into photography).
Just right for printing copies of the Bayeux Tapestry! Mammoth piece of kit there.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I recently got a Canon Prograf pro 4100 printer. It's huge (bigger than my desk). But it's the best thing I've ever got, regarding the flow of photography from camera to printed image. I previously was sending files to Whitewall in Germany, and they sent back beautiful prints. But so many have talked about the joy of printing yourself that I decided to bite the bullet and get this printer, with a 2nd roll added. It took a while to get everything set up. I got a 17" wide roll of Canon glossy photo 200 paper to let the printer calibrate it's colors and for trial prints. I also got a 24" roll of Moab Entrada Rag Bright 190 paper for printing my prints. I also got some Moab "Entradalopes" (7" x 10" creased cut sheets which fold to 5 x 7" cards) which I used for test printing to get the colors right for that paper. The Moab people made a special file I for me to get their Entrada settings loaded into the 4100 (which Canon doesn't make easy).

It is wonderful to read about your 'love' of 'the printed page'.

For prints larger than 13"x19" I typically use what used to be AdoramaPix (now Printique, I think). Their books and prints are terrific, at least to my eyes.

A local drugstore just upgraded their in-house printer to the Epson Surecolor P6000. I printed a handful of 24" wide images...they turned out very very well.

I have spent a lot of time considering upgrading my current Canon Pixma Pro 100...but have not as of yet because it perfectly suits my needs to occasionally print 'sort of big' right now. I used to have 11"x14" framed images in a couple of rooms in our house...but for several years now they've been replaced by 13"x19" frames and images...

But the 'right now' for the Pro 100 has turned into several years! With zero clogs. The damn thing just works...even with only occasional printing. Knock on wood.

I would very much enjoy reading an occasional update from you about your Prograf Pro 4100...good luck with it!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It is wonderful to read about your 'love' of 'the printed page'.

For prints larger than 13"x19" I typically use what used to be AdoramaPix (now Printique, I think). Their books and prints are terrific, at least to my eyes.

A local drugstore just upgraded their in-house printer to the Epson Surecolor P6000. I printed a handful of 24" wide images...they turned out very very well.

I have spent a lot of time considering upgrading my current Canon Pixma Pro 100...but have not as of yet because it perfectly suits my needs to occasionally print 'sort of big' right now. I used to have 11"x14" framed images in a couple of rooms in our house...but for several years now they've been replaced by 13"x19" frames and images...

But the 'right now' for the Pro 100 has turned into several years! With zero clogs. The damn thing just works...even with only occasional printing. Knock on wood.

I would very much enjoy reading an occasional update from you about your Prograf Pro 4100...good luck with it!
Thanks, josephandrews. There's something magical about seeing something you did and are proud of on a big print.
I'm glad that you've enjoyed your printing with the Pixma Pro 100. It's good to hear that it's working so well for so long.
I'll be glad to mention how things go regarding my 4100. Hopefully I'll have a long happy life with it.
(and I have a feeling Canon may have a happy life with me buying ink for it - but hey, that's what it's for! :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0