Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Me too! And they have the excellent habit of perching on high twigs with clean backgrounds ;)
That debate about depth of field and backgrounds in bird photography really got to me - one of the first things you learn is to look for clean backgrounds. Half the fun of bird photography is getting pics of common birds in interesting poses with the right background, another half is rare birds in any background, and the third half rare birds under ideal conditions. It's nice having 150% fun.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
That debate about depth of field and backgrounds in bird photography really got to me - one of the first things you learn is to look for clean backgrounds. Half the fun of bird photography is getting pics of common birds in interesting poses with the right background, another half is rare birds in any background, and the third half rare birds under ideal conditions. It's nice having 150% fun.
It's why we use to take photos, no?
If one is professional photog it may get up to 200% fun (counting the paycheck!) but I don't know how many of them are missing some %%% from the firs 3/4 (and how much of that %!)... Anyway, after your post I feel kind of 100% happy (especially when I can get that good photo when the conditions are good;)). What I'm missing is the rare birds in ideal conditions but it's not that bad: I have a goal :D!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A male European stonechat. He was very bold and stayed in place a while, which was handy because this was an instance where the long MFD of this lens was a problem - I thankfully had time to walk back to get him in focus.

R6, RF 800 f/11 + RF Extender 1.4x; 1120mm, 1/500sec, f/16, ISO 2000.

Nice capture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Speaking of backgrounds, here's what can be achieved at f22! A skylark with a mouthful of food for its babies. Again I had to walk away from it to allow the lens to focus, and indeed to get the whole bird in frame! No doubt diffraction has robbed a little critical sharpness but at this distance and magnification it's not a problem imo.

R6, RF 800 + 2x; 1600mm, 1/1000sec, f/22, ISO 4000.
E290E651-C292-4908-825F-FFE12346E7A0.jpeg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of backgrounds, here's what can be achieved at f22! A skylark with a mouthful of food for its babies. Again I had to walk away from it to allow the lens to focus, and indeed to get the whole bird in frame! No doubt diffraction has robbed a little critical sharpness but at this distance and magnification it's not a problem imo.

View attachment 209253
Nice shot. The 800 does have its limitations as a walk around lens because of its long mfd and narrow framing, but it works fine at at long distances is very useful. I went out with it yesterday to where it could be the best lens for me, but I stuffed the RF 100-400 in my jacket pocket just in case...

Upvote 0
Nice shot. The 800 does have its limitations as a walk around lens because of its long mfd and narrow framing, but it works fine at at long distances is very useful. I went out with it yesterday to where it could be the best lens for me, but I stuffed the RF 100-400 in my jacket pocket just in case...
Thanks! Yeah I had both lenses with me yesterday, and for the first time both extenders. A matter of judging whether subjects were likely to be near or far at each point (to keep lens swapping to a minimum), based on habitat, and a lot of luck. Heat haze is the big problem with the 800 at longer distances, but even then it's fantastic for record shots.

Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Another nice pic but them things are as ugly as a bucket of butt holes.
I would call them "strange looking", but maybe their parents think the same.
Because I could observe a behaviour where one of the adult birds kept going after one of the chicks, see below.
It was almost a hunt, and I still think about the reasons (foreign chick, too many beaks to feed...)
I left the pond with all four chicks alive and together.
The next day, I counted only three chicks. And on Monday there was just one left. :(
Of course there could be other reasons as well, predators...

coot_2023_06.JPGcoot_2023_07.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Because I could observe a behaviour where one of the adult birds kept going after one of the chicks, see below.
It was almost a hunt, and I still think about the reasons (foreign chick, too many beaks to feed...)
The next day, I counted only three chicks. And on Monday there was just one left. :(

View attachment 209254View attachment 209255
It's a well documented phenomenon. The parents bully the chicks, and some will die.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023

View attachment 209254View attachment 209255

1684931537614.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Nicely done, scyrene.

Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023

View attachment 209253
If you are looking to isolate the bird from the background, why not shoot wide open?

Upvote 0