Show your Bird Portraits

GP.Masserano said:
Omni Images said:
A few images of the past few weeks.
Canon 1D4 100-400II + 1.4III 580EXII flash

Attending the forum, I am surprised every time to observe the differences between animals similar to each other. This is an European Water Rail, i.e. a Rallide similar to that of Omni.

Hi GP. here is a shot of another Rail here, the Lewin's Rail, it's even smaller than the Buff Banded Rail and more elusive.

Attachments

• lewins-rail_3.jpg
    lewins-rail_3.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
Hi Paolo,
Looks like the new 5DSr does just fine at high iso for nature ... I hope to grab myself one for just that soon too.
I usually never go much over 400, 800iso at the most and always shoot on single shot, so a 5 burst would be fine.
I also want it for water shots, and think it'll be just fine for that too.
Not worried about the big files. I want to be able to blow them up to large images to frame.

Upvote 0

Mangrove blue flycatcher (Cyornis rufigastra) by alabang, on Flickr

The mangrove blue flycatcher (Cyornis rufigastra) is a species of bird in the Muscicapidae family. It is found in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical mangrove forests.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangrove_blue_flycatcher

EXIF: 1/30 f/4.0 560mm ISO 640

Best viewed at https://500px.com/photo/112821213/the-mangrove-blue-flycatcher-cyornis-rufigastra-by-paolo-dolina?from=user_library

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
FEBS said:
Vern said:
I almost always use the better beamer and a little fill flash for birds for the reasons you note. Typically working with 1DX + 600II +1.4XIII. My only issue is that I've broken 2 of the canon remote flash attachments in the last 6 months. I am super careful w gear, but these just seem to snap off with the slightest bump if the flash gets caught on a bit of brush etc. Carry an extra one on safari (or perhaps just spazz less than me ;)).

Hi Vern,

Thanks for your reaction. By adding the better beamer, you place an extra force on the flash attachment, and as you mentioned you should be extra carefully.
I don't have the 600f4, but use the 200-400 1.4 with engaged internal extender and the 1.4 III as external extender. So I can get 784mm / f8 on my 1Dx. I mostly change the aperture then to f10 or f11 and use in that case Aperture Priority together with the flash in TTL mostly on FEC -2 and ISO fixed on 100 till 1600, depending what I need. That setting delivered me good and sharp pictures at home with the local birds. Auto ISO, which I mostly use in M setting, does not bring me the right results as the ISO will be fixed to 400 in that case by the 1Dx. What's your setup with a better beamer to catch the birds ?

Hi FEBs,

I place the better beamer w the front piece about even w the front of the lens. I usually use Av mode at f8-9 w the 600 II + 1.4X III, flash exp at -1 and 2/3 stops (depending on backlighting) and an ISO to give >1/500 sec exp. I like to stop down a little from 5.6 to slightly increase the DOF and I think this aperture is a little sharper. While the IS can stabilize slower shutter speeds (and I'm shooting from a gitzo tripod + RRS full gimbal), I tend to lose a lot of captures due to subject motion if the shutter speed is too slow. The 1Dx shutter is very loud so I often work with the 5DMKIII if I'm in a blind and will be very close to the birds - the silent shutter mode on it is much, much quieter than the 1Dx. The 1Dx rules for BIF though.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Vern said:
Hi FEBs,

I place the better beamer w the front piece about even w the front of the lens. I usually use Av mode at f8-9 w the 600 II + 1.4X III, flash exp at -1 and 2/3 stops (depending on backlighting) and an ISO to give >1/500 sec exp. I like to stop down a little from 5.6 to slightly increase the DOF and I think this aperture is a little sharper. While the IS can stabilize slower shutter speeds (and I'm shooting from a gitzo tripod + RRS full gimbal), I tend to lose a lot of captures due to subject motion if the shutter speed is too slow. The 1Dx shutter is very loud so I often work with the 5DMKIII if I'm in a blind and will be very close to the birds - the silent shutter mode on it is much, much quieter than the 1Dx. The 1Dx rules for BIF though.

Thanks for your reply.
OK, then I should switch the 5D3 to the long lens (200-400 1.4 + 1.4III in my case) and use the 300II on the 1dx in M, auto-iso.

Thanks very much

Upvote 0