Show your Bird Portraits

Click said:
Still looking for the 1DX II?

The Northern Flicker is the most beautiful woodpecker. 8)

click, I'm on hold. I'd have jumped at the 1DX II if it didn't have the same MPs as my 6D and if I hadn't been close to someone shooting with the 18 MP 1DX to reference comparisons on IQ between the two. I crop a lot but just maybe the 800 would equalize things (30 MPs). This is a tough one.

To think there are people whining that the 5D4 and 1DX II are not impressive and capable cameras! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Haven't posted here for a while cause I haven't been shooting, sadly.

But this morning with the new 400 DO II X2 III and pinky finger focus on the 6D this is the result. This flicker was very high in a tree and typically I wouldn't even bother but since I'm now playing with 800 I took the shot. MF is really challenging so it looks like the focus ended up on his feet.

Hand held, 1/8oo, F16, ISO 1250, default sharpening at 3 in DPP and lens specific adjustment at 65. Uncropped. What do y'all think? My hope is that it will be equal in IQ to my 300 2.8 II X2 III.

Jack
Very Nice Jack!

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Don't buy a toy if you have no time to play with it! ;)

thumbs_up_smiley.gif

Nice shot, Jack.

Upvote 0
Hi Ryan.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Hi Stuart.
It is a lovely shot of a nice little bird, the shot wouldn't have been any better with any other bird.

Cheers, Graham.

Ryananthony said:
sedwards said:
I can't pass up a perfect pose even if it is only a chickadee.

There are no ''even if''s, when it comes to the type of bird, in my opinion. A good picture of a crow is still a good picture. And this is a good picture.

Upvote 0
Hi RBC5.
Beautiful shot, completely at ease with your presence, just going to go back to sleep here, no using a 1Dx while I do! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

RBC5 said:
Last night as I was walking the dog it was cold and rainy, and I saw a common nighthawk fly by. I thought, this is the kind of weather (no bugs in the air) when you find them roosting on swingset bars, bare branches, fence rails, conserving their energy before migration until there are bugs to catch. This morning I look out the window and I see this on the fence.

First shot was Canon 6D, 100-400 IS 2.

Once I realized how fearless the bird was, I put the 500/4 IS 2 on the 7D MK 2 and walked up on it. Second shot was from maybe 10 feet. As shot, no post other than resize.

Upvote 0
Hi Jack.
Beautiful, looks like that 400 DO II is going to work out nicely for you.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Haven't posted here for a while cause I haven't been shooting, sadly.

But this morning with the new 400 DO II X2 III and pinky finger focus on the 6D this is the result. This flicker was very high in a tree and typically I wouldn't even bother but since I'm now playing with 800 I took the shot. MF is really challenging so it looks like the focus ended up on his feet.

Hand held, 1/8oo, F16, ISO 1250, default sharpening at 3 in DPP and lens specific adjustment at 65. Uncropped. What do y'all think? My hope is that it will be equal in IQ to my 300 2.8 II X2 III.

Jack

Upvote 0
Took the 5DIV out with the 400mm DO II. Miserable day, slight rain at times and poor visibility. Hadn't even AFMAd the 1.4xTC. But, got this kingfisher at 560mm in the gloom, and am learning my way around DPP. The few shots of BIF showed great AF. Can't wait for DxO to update for the 5DIV.

Attachments

• Kingfisher_CR_2B4A0745.JPG
    Kingfisher_CR_2B4A0745.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Took the 5DIV out with the 400mm DO II. Miserable day, slight rain at times and poor visibility. Hadn't even AFMAd the 1.4xTC. But, got this kingfisher at 560mm in the gloom, and am learning my way around DPP. The few shots of BIF showed great AF. Can't wait for DxO to update for the 5DIV.
Great shot AlanF!

This eurasian wigeon is the first shot I took with the 7D Mark II + 100-400mm IS II + 1.4X III combination. I think I got the AFMA quite right with the first calibration attempt.

Attachments

• 2S2A6754.jpg
    2S2A6754.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Upvote 0