Show your Bird Portraits

Wondered about the eyes on the eagle ... must have hit that shutter button just as the eagle "blinked" ... nice shot, nice timing :)

QUOTE::

Bald Eagle's Nictitating Membrane. Bald eagles, like other birds of prey have incredible eyesight. To keep their vision sharp, bald eagles clean their eyes with the help of an inner eyelid called nictitating membrane. Besides protection, the membrane keeps the eye moist and clean of dust.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
monkey44 said:
Wondered about the eyes on the eagle ... must have hit that shutter button just as the eagle "blinked" ... nice shot, nice timing :)

Bald Eagle's Nictitating Membrane. Bald eagles, like other birds of prey have incredible eyesight. To keep their vision sharp, bald eagles clean their eyes with the help of an inner eyelid called nictitating membrane. Besides protection, the membrane keeps the eye moist and clean of dust.

I hope so....do a cataract operation on that beast? No thanks!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Great shot and perfect timing!!!

BTW no cataract here, back in the time (in my childhood) I had for a few months young Common kestrel at home - broken wing - and I have seen this membrane in action. And not only the birds have it, last time I have seen this was in lizard (just few weeks ago).

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
monkey44 said:

Thanks, yes its perfectly natural, I don't think all birds have them, but I have some shots of Woodpeckers where it is closed too.
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Here are a few Red Crossbills from the other weekend. First time I've seen them. Very cool bird. 7D mkii/500 f4/1.4xiii. Cropped to liking

Attachments

• Red Crossbill (male) 100.jpg
    Red Crossbill (male) 100.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Red Crossbill (male) 101.jpg
    Red Crossbill (male) 101.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
A comment about the eagle image above, and its eye ...

Bald Eagle's nictitating Membrane:: Bald eagles, like other birds of prey have incredible eyesight. To keep their vision sharp, bald eagles clean their eyes with the help of an inner eyelid called nictitating membrane. Besides protection, the membrane keeps the eye moist and clean of dust.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
Ryananthony said:
On the topic of blinking birds, here is a picture of Sandhill crane I took a couple years ago.

Neat photo. Given the very shallow depth of field, I'm curious about the lens you used. It obviously is rather long.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Stevelee, I actually used my old 100mm macro non L version. Luckily they don't scare to easily around here so your able to get very close. You can even feed them, if they are in a good mood. The hardest part was to get the Sandhill crane to look at me straight on. I wasted many shots trying.

Upvote 0