Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Yes I know, but to post them first you have to get the photo and the hide where I usually go was closed as it was structurally unsafe.
I did finally catch up with the volunteers that were rebuilding it and joined up to help, well actually my neighbour and I went down as we heard it was partially open, whilst we were there the warden and his 82 yr old father turned up at 13:00 hrs to do some more, planning to stay until the walkway was finished.
My neighbour and I decided that if we stayed and helped the others might get home before midnight! So we phoned and asked permission of our better halves to be out late ;D ;D and we all worked until the walkway was finished, we all left at 18:00 hrs job done. I have been back with a camera (and without to work) and taken a few shots but the critters have gone wild on us due to lack of visitors, the warden was still keeping the feeders going but other than 4 to 6 volunteers twice a week they saw no people.
There would normally be a steady stream of visitors all week as it was known as a good place to see red squirrels, if you went there and didn't see a squirrel you were there less than ten minutes! :)
I hope to have more shots soon.
Edit,
Anyway, at the moment I am trying to get through the processing of the last couple of sets in the Bournemouth Air Festival shoot, then I have the Goodwood Revival shots to do, I'm really trying to be strict with myself and not keep leaving hundreds of unprocessed shots unseen.
End edit.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Graham. It's about time you posted some more! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Graham, what a kind soul you are! I can excuse you from not posting in our thread. That is for the time being only. ;)

Nothing much here so I set up my flash just before dark by my stump and tried to catch some of the shenanigans - bully activities - and managed to get this guy as a nuthatch threatened him! They are just like humans. :)

Jack

Attachments

• Downy wings_s_23951.JPG
    Downy wings_s_23951.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Alan.
Very nice shot of the Marshtit, not understanding the photoshopped things on the Northern Flicker?

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF said:
Marshtit - they are quite rare.I used the bare 400 f/4 on the 5DIV as quite dark.

While you were building a hide, Jack posted http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1280.msg690741#msg690741 and I borrowed his flying splinter.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Thank you for the special dispensation on posting!
This shot is fantastic and you seem to have a pretty good handle on flash lighting, a really nicely lit shot, a good balance between the subject and the background, well done. If you hadn't told us we might have wondered about flash but not been completely certain you had used one! (Well at least I wouldn't have been sure and you don't have to fool the pro's) :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Graham, what a kind soul you are! I can excuse you from not posting in our thread. That is for the time being only. ;)

Nothing much here so I set up my flash just before dark by my stump and tried to catch some of the shenanigans - bully activities - and managed to get this guy as a nuthatch threatened him! They are just like humans. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Since the reeds have been trimmed back at my local hide I've actually finally managed to get a shot of the water rails without a reed stem across the body. I was particular lucky with this shot as the early sun breached the clouds while he was out
37005686494_3545bee796_b.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Nice shots, nice to see some different bird species.
I have to ask, did they realise there was some space for a couple more rings then the oyster catcher would look like it had socks on!
Can anyone please explain why a bird needs sooo many rings? Wouldn't one or two be sufficient to identify it?

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
Spoonbill (didn't want to pose, it only turned away from me ;))

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Bob.
Very nice shot.

Cheers, Graham.

BobG said:
Since the reeds have been trimmed back at my local hide I've actually finally managed to get a shot of the water rails without a reed stem across the body. I was particular lucky with this shot as the early sun breached the clouds while he was out

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Always appreciate all the shots.

Going a little off topic, I've noticed that clicking on a photo enlarges it with a kind of conflict if there is more than one photo and I hate having to use the sliders. It seems, and I stand to be corrected that if I post a photo with around 2k on a side then it opens in a window with no nonsense. I like to see the detail but get fed up with the sliders. Any comment, anyone?

Jack

Upvote 0