Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Good advice for all of us to remember what's common is usually a local thing ... unless we're talking House sparrow! :)

I really enjoy hearing some description of the shot and situation from whomever is willing to provide it. Seems we're attracting more participants, albeit slowly and that's great.

Jack

Upvote 0
Thanks Click, jprusa. Around here ( Scotland) Blue tits are so common birdwatchers seldom give them a second glance but now just as the breeding season approaches they are bursting with colour, I took this image whilst waiting for a much harder subject to appear, truth is I was so absorbed taking images off the abundant tit, (chickadee) species around the morning fairly whizzed by.

Upvote 0
HB said:
Hi Jack,
Your chickadee's may be common to you but don't forget you have viewers from all over the planet. Nice image..
here's one off mine.
Harry.

+1 to Jack's chikadee,
Nice picture of your blue tit Harry!

Lately I've also had a family of long-tailed tits visiting the feeders in my garden, but I haven't had the patience to set up the camera and wait for them to 'pose'... (They usually visit with 3-6 at the same time, only for a very short time and then they're off again :( Too quick when I still need to fetch the camera to a good vantage point)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
Hey, Wiebe,

Your Golden Pheasant (native to China, I believe) is definitely related to the Gray Francolin. According to Wikipedia, they both belong to the Phasianidae family, which includes pheasants, partridges, junglefowl, chickens, Old World quail, and peafowl.

---

Jack,

I totally enjoyed shooting Black-capped Chickadees while visiting Seattle (and the related Chestnut-backed Chickadee on San Juan Island in the Salish Sea). It still amazes me that you folks get to see tits without having to go up to the mountains, which is what I have to do (here in E. Asia) to see Yellow Tits, Green-backed Tits, Chestnut-bellied Tits, Coal Tits, etc.

I do sympathize with having TOO MUCH of the same, though. I struggle to recall the last time I shot a Light-vented Bulbul -- must have been years ago -- they're just so ubiquitous....

<Cloaking device ON again...>

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Click said:
martinslade said:
Blackcap in Blossom

Very nice. Well done, martinslade.

+1 And especially the flowers - where are my flowers! I'm getting more than impatient!

I think I promised no more redpolls but I'll pull a trump.

Jack

Attachments

• Redpolls_s_30137.JPG
    Redpolls_s_30137.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Joules said:
I have not postet anything in this thread before so I want to start by complementing everybody who posted here previously on their amazing shots. I've been reading every post from this thread for quite a while now and the amazing quality of the images posted here has frequently blown me away. In fact, it has inspired me to get a tele lens myself and attempt to capture some bird pictures too.

So today I went out with my new EF 55-250mm IS STM for the second time. Walking through the local forest with my eyes up in the tree I noticed this huge guy here. Looking for subjects and actually finding and capturing one was quite a lot of fun and I think it got me hooked. So, even though my equipment is certainly far below what the majority of people here use, I wanted to thank everybody for sharing their lovely and inspiring images!

Awesome shot! Just goes to show you that you don't need the best of the best equipment to get the best shot

Keep it up.

Scott

Upvote 0