Show your Bird Portraits

Couple of shots of a yellow-billed cardinal in Hawaii.

v2

v2

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
HB said:
Yip Jack, apologies. It was CL's chickadee. Late night viewing!!.
I have to say it is always a pleasure browsing through the two bird related galleries, I've learned so much.
Harry.

Same here! And we're such a friendly group that we even alow a Nikon shooter in! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack,
Agree on that. Unfortunately, the closer birds had heads down busy with their business. That's the reason I chose the mid ones to focus upon. My company wanted to attract them or create a scene so they either look up or fly off, but the ground was a bit muddy.
-r

PS., got some bald eagles against a grey overcast sky. Need some PS to get some pop to the shots before posting. Not too many eagles this time, think they're nesting.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Riley, that's interesting and probably noisy. What do you think about going for focus on the nearest in the group - you know me, I'm always wondering.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
Jack,
Agree on that. Unfortunately, the closer birds had heads down busy with their business. That's the reason I chose the mid ones to focus upon. My company wanted to attract them or create a scene so they either look up or fly off, but the ground was a bit muddy.
-r

PS., got some bald eagles against a grey overcast sky. Need some PS to get some pop to the shots before posting. Not too many eagles this time, think they're nesting.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Riley, that's interesting and probably noisy. What do you think about going for focus on the nearest in the group - you know me, I'm always wondering.

Jack

Well I'll be waiting for the eagles. Thanks for the feedback; so much to learn.

I've returned to the deck railing project that got put off by the tiles and planter. Here is the half done part which now has half its glass and hopefully in a few weeks will have everything finished.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=34702.msg715813#msg715813

Do you have any interest in video - I'm loving the Crane 2.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack,
Just PM-ed you.
I have not shot too many videos out of a dSLR. Only some of concerts, if recording devices are allowed.

My tools are mostly of stacking rails and am still working on my PANO head. My friend has a crane, he shoots for events, some weddings and currently a feature movie for a small production company. He's pretty happy with the crane.

Reading your other post on a different thread, I think your CamRanger is a good choice for live viewing and control: ISO, Focus, Exposure, Aperture, and more. Also, feedback on shots is almost immediate, slower if RAW file is sent.
Connection distance is as good as any WiFi devices, you can almost rely on 100 meters, though I have never separated such distances.

On a different "front," I'm liking my M5 with its compliment of lenses. The weight is favorable and the pic quality is very adequate. Only complaint is that focusing is a bit slow, compared to dSLR. I have complained about the rear screen in bright light with the original M, and the model 5 gave us an electronic ViewFinder! Now, on to high speed focus!!!

Show you crane! And some shots using the crane.
-r

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Riley, I haven't used the Crane 2 for any photo shots mainly because it doesn't seem to offer much advantage there. The video stability is amazing and so appreciated by a shaky guy. Now if the Crane 2 and CamRanger could be made to work together, oh boy!

I video'd my deer in the yard at 70mm and was very pleased but now my quandary is learning video editing after choosing an editor. I balking at a subscription.

Jack

Upvote 0