Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
applecider said:
Jack kudos on that red wing blackbird in flight. It’s mouth is a cornucopia of insect delights, green worms at least two damselflies. It’s the picture I’ve been trying to capture .

Thanks, I was happy to luck out since my arm was ready to break and he kept faking flying. For me 99% of these kind of shots are OOF so I couldn't believe how sharp this one was.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful photos dpc, Jack and Alan!
Here is my collection from the weekend, I put a lot of effort for the White-faced Ibis but I don't see much of difference in comparison with the photos I already posted (except now it's a semi-adult, not the adult from the last post).

Attachments

• DSC_8203_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8203_DxO.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • DSC_8256_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8256_DxO.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_8264_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8264_DxO.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Click and Riley!
It could be really well done (concerning the Ibis) if I had an opportunity to get inside of the refuge (have to work on this, and not only because of the Ibis...) - to get the proper angel of the light and little bit closer distance...
(Huh, and could I get some high clouds in the sky for better light - or I ask for too much :-\!)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
Thanks Click and Riley!
It could be really well done (concerning the Ibis) if I had an opportunity to get inside of the refuge (have to work on this, and not only because of the Ibis...) - to get the proper angel of the light and little bit closer distance...
(Huh, and could I get some high clouds in the sky for better light - or I ask for too much :-\!)

Yup you're getting greedy. You got a lot as is. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
We all are trying to improve Jack, and me thinks it is good (if not the best) feature of the human beings... Just for difference from many other, not so good features :-[!

Really, I'm all for improvement but sometimes what others are getting seems beyond what I'd call needing improvement. You have very fine photos.

I think one can enjoy things that are far from perfect so I guess one should temper ones tendency towards perfectionism so it doesn't become a burden. The ultimate goal is to enjoy the activity while producing a photo that is enjoyable for others as well.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ISv said:
Thanks Click and Riley!

Very nice shots. And I agree absolutely with your aims of getting the right angles and light.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
A quick visit to New York - managed to get to Central Park between meetings. I grabbed the wrong camera. My 5DIV was attached to the 100-400mm II and I took that pair instead of the 5DSR. The light has been so bad that I have been shooting up to iso 12,800, which negates the advantage of the smaller pixels. I have to admit that the consistency of AF on my 5DIV beats the 5DSR. It's a really impressive beast.

Lots of sparrows and starlings, even more than at home where sparrows are becoming rare. This is the first time I have seen a fledgling being fed.

Excellent series Alan! Thanks for sharing.
With the next series you've posted, there seems to be much more bird-life in Central Park than I noticed when I was there last year... Might have been the time of the year (when I was there, it was so hot "the sparrows were falling of the roofs" as we would call it ;) )

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
ISv said:
And few of the local "normal" (well, the Saffron finch is not actually very common...).

Very nice series ISv, again very high quality pic's.
To me it is always a joy when these exotic (to me) bird pictures are shared :) (Or for that matter, when people post pictures that are not easy to capture - with some info on how they were taken)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
AlanF said:
ISv said:
Thanks Click and Riley!

Very nice shots. And I agree absolutely with your aims of getting the right angles and light.

Thanks Alan!
The problem with that place is the double fencing, the inner fence with very fine mesh - to prevent rodents/predators from entering the refuge. There is only one small view point build last year where you can shoot from above. All the day (starting with the sunrise) you have the objects back-lit! It's why I need to get inside. There is no other point around the refuge from where you can shoot.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nat_WA said:
ISv said:
And few of the local "normal" (well, the Saffron finch is not actually very common...).

(Or for that matter, when people post pictures that are not easy to capture - with some info on how they were taken)

Wiebe.

Thanks Wiebe!

;D ;D ;D!
OK, the Ibis I would say was kind of difficult to shoot: there is no shade on that place! You just climb on the view point and wait for the birds to come nearby, both weekends it took in average 1.5-2h. Very sunny and hot days starting from the morning. Once they come it's easy (if you are still alive ;))!
Seriously, the only problem with these birds is that they are non-stop (well they will stop for 1-2s to take a look at me) probing the mud for food, you need higher speeds and it's a problem because of the back light.

Upvote 0