Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A quick visit to New York - managed to get to Central Park between meetings. I grabbed the wrong camera. My 5DIV was attached to the 100-400mm II and I took that pair instead of the 5DSR. The light has been so bad that I have been shooting up to iso 12,800, which negates the advantage of the smaller pixels. I have to admit that the consistency of AF on my 5DIV beats the 5DSR. It's a really impressive beast.

Lots of sparrows and starlings, even more than at home where sparrows are becoming rare. This is the first time I have seen a fledgling being fed.

Attachments

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And there were birds I don't have much chance of seeing: Northern Cardinal; Blackcrowned nightheron; Great White Egret; and a Grackle, all of which are common here of course but we don't have the Grackle and Cardinal back home. A fun place Central Park. I needed the 400 DO + 2TC for the Cardinal.

Attachments

lion rock

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 1, 2013
These are very good!
-r

AlanF said:
And there were birds I don't have much chance of seeing: Northern Cardinal; Blackcrowned nightheron; Great White Egret; and a Grackle, all of which are common here of course but we don't have the Grackle and Cardinal back home. A fun place Central Park. I needed the 400 DO + 2TC for the Cardinal.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
applecider said:
Jack kudos on that red wing blackbird in flight. It’s mouth is a cornucopia of insect delights, green worms at least two damselflies. It’s the picture I’ve been trying to capture .
Thanks, I was happy to luck out since my arm was ready to break and he kept faking flying. For me 99% of these kind of shots are OOF so I couldn't believe how sharp this one was.

Jack

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful photos dpc, Jack and Alan!
Here is my collection from the weekend, I put a lot of effort for the White-faced Ibis but I don't see much of difference in comparison with the photos I already posted (except now it's a semi-adult, not the adult from the last post).

Attachments

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Click and Riley!
It could be really well done (concerning the Ibis) if I had an opportunity to get inside of the refuge (have to work on this, and not only because of the Ibis...) - to get the proper angel of the light and little bit closer distance...
(Huh, and could I get some high clouds in the sky for better light - or I ask for too much :-\!)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
Thanks Click and Riley!
It could be really well done (concerning the Ibis) if I had an opportunity to get inside of the refuge (have to work on this, and not only because of the Ibis...) - to get the proper angel of the light and little bit closer distance...
(Huh, and could I get some high clouds in the sky for better light - or I ask for too much :-\!)
Yup you're getting greedy. You got a lot as is. ;)

Jack

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Jack!
We all are trying to improve Jack, and me thinks it is good (if not the best) feature of the human beings... Just for difference from many other, not so good features :-[!

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
We all are trying to improve Jack, and me thinks it is good (if not the best) feature of the human beings... Just for difference from many other, not so good features :-[!
Really, I'm all for improvement but sometimes what others are getting seems beyond what I'd call needing improvement. You have very fine photos.

I think one can enjoy things that are far from perfect so I guess one should temper ones tendency towards perfectionism so it doesn't become a burden. The ultimate goal is to enjoy the activity while producing a photo that is enjoyable for others as well.

Jack

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ISv said:
Thanks Click and Riley!
Very nice shots. And I agree absolutely with your aims of getting the right angles and light.