Show your Bird Portraits

Canada geese taking a detour around the spillway of a weir on the South Saskatchewan River. They swam up to the weir, hauled themselves out onto the curtain, walked around and plopped themselves in the river again. I guess they decided they didn't want to ride the waves. It would have been a bit of a rocket. I wouldn't want to do it either.

Attachments

• _DSF8582.jpg
    _DSF8582.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice shots all, dpc. I prefer the ones in more natural surroundings and maybe crop in a little more on some, assuming you've got the MPs (RWBBird). :) I no longer get B swallows (something is up environmentally) but for years they would always be friendly nesting under my deck, but never now. :(

Jack

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion, Jack. I appreciate it. The only picture that I personally feel might do with cropping is the third from last. I'll go back to the RAW and give it a try but I'm skeptical. I wanted to give the geese room in the picture to include more of the weir to give a better sense as to what they were doing.

Upvote 0
This is as far in as I can crop this one. It's a bit iffy in terms of resolution. I was quite some distance from the birds and even with my lens zoomed out to 600mm it was a problem getting a usable picture. I doubt it would print well unless very small (not that I want to print it, mind). I did want to try and get a shot of the interaction the blackbirds were having with the marsh.

Attachments

• _36A9357-Edit.jpg
    _36A9357-Edit.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Hawk drinking at a puddle at the entrance to a parking lot. The hawk was small and I was only carrying a 55-200mm lens with me and couldn't get very close, so I seriously over-cropped the picture but thought I'd post it anyway just because getting a shot of a hawk is a rarity for me. I'll keep the picture for a while then trash it. :)

Attachments

• _DSF8649 copy.jpg
    _DSF8649 copy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Upvote 0