Show your Bird Portraits

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Nice. We don't get Grackles here and I have never seen the blue around the head and neck when I have been in the States (and never seen one in Canada).
You would typically see the blue color in the photo, but it's not always noticeable on an actual bird outdoors. It depends on how the light is reflected, I guess.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice. We don't get Grackles here and I have never seen the blue around the head and neck when I have been in the States (and never seen one in Canada).
Up here in Edmonton area I've photographed them occasionally and even in sunlight the head was only slightly blue. IOW they tended to look all black so it seems, like starlings, you've got to catch the light at just the right angle.

Jack

Upvote 0
Thanks Alan. It was in shadow and soft light and a bit of luck. Yes, at first sight it looked like a blackbird, somehow.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Not much from the weekend: Saturday I choose to go to the albatross preserve - no shade on the trail there (except your own) no clouds and bitterly hot. 7 miles there and back, the last 3.5 were painful. Just a photos of a Laysan Albatross chicks - all the reward. Today it was better - trail with some trees/shade. Also very hot and the light was difficult (birds hidden in the shades). At least challenging and more fun! In the case with the Red-billed Leiothrix I'm not sure who had more will to see the other guy in FF (I was hiding too:))!
Maybe not that colorful photos but I strongly prefer the real colors...

DSC_4747_DxO-1.jpgDSC_4777_DxO.jpgDSC_4785_DxO.jpgDSC_4788_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Hi, I have been on vacation since 5/1 and still have another week left. I have been out every day chasing warblers and everything else. It's been a great warbler year so far, 33 species, in Milwaukee County! Best one was an ultra rare (for my area) Black-throated Gray Warbler. He hung around the same place for a couple days, providing great views. I'm close to 40,000 pictures already this month, so I haven't had much time to edit. Here a few though, that are highly coveted among warbler watchers, which I was fortunate to get awesome photos of.

Jeremy

Blackburnian Warbler (male-spring)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (male-spring)
Canada Warbler (male-spring)
Cerulean Warbler (female-spring)
Golden-winged Warbler (male-spring)
Hooded Warbler (male-spring)
Mourning Warbler (male-spring)

Blackburnian Warbler (male-spring) 135.jpgBlack-throated Blue Warbler (male-spring) 133.jpgCanada Warbler (male-spring) 153.jpgCerulean Warbler (female-spring) 113.jpgGolden-winged Warbler (male-spring) 121.jpgHooded Warbler (male-spring) 127.jpgMourning Warbler (male-spring) 142.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
WOW Great shots, Jeremy.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Some real nice shots there Jeremy, both lots.

Hi, I have been on vacation since 5/1 and still have another week left. I have been out every day chasing warblers and everything else. It's been a great warbler year so far, 33 species, in Milwaukee County! Best one was an ultra rare (for my area) Black-throated Gray Warbler. He hung around the same place for a couple days, providing great views. I'm close to 40,000 pictures already this month, so I haven't had much time to edit. Here a few though, that are highly coveted among warbler watchers, which I was fortunate to get awesome photos of.

Jeremy

Blackburnian Warbler (male-spring)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (male-spring)
Canada Warbler (male-spring)
Cerulean Warbler (female-spring)
Golden-winged Warbler (male-spring)
Hooded Warbler (male-spring)
Mourning Warbler (male-spring)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0