Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Finally juvenile Japanese White Eye! They lack the white ring around the eye typical for the adults and use to confuse some visiting birders who mistake it time to time for Amakihi. I think reports for Amakihi as close to the ocean as Waikiki (Oahu) are due to these little troublemakers:)!
After that a Northern Cardinal (not very good photo but brings some colors to my post). Two photos of juvenile Zebra dove, and after that a White-rumped Shama fighting small centipede (I wouldn't touche that centipede, they are poisonous)! Look carefully on the ground in the second photo - the centipede is still alive and looks happy:)!

DSC_7651_DxO.jpgDSC_7735_DxO.jpgDSC_7828_DxO.jpgDSC_7832_DxO.jpgDSC_7848_DxO.jpgDSC_7850_DxO.jpgDSC_7845_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice series, ISv.
a025.gif

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here is that photo with the "happy" centipede - I over expose that part of the picture. Just in case somebody didn't find it...

View attachment 190998
I sure had to look but once I saw it, it really was visible, maybe better in the previous shot. Nice crisp shot.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I sure had to look but once I saw it, it really was visible, maybe better in the previous shot. Nice crisp shot.

Jack
In the field I didn't notice it (I was thinking the bird just lost it). It's the same photo - in PP I increased the exposure on that particular spot for easier localization of the centipede.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I am very fond of blackbirds. They sing beautifully and there are fortunately many of them to serenade me, especially at dawn and dusk.
"... and there are fortunately many of them to serenade me, especially at dawn and dusk."
Lucky you! Instead of the black birds I have around Common Myna - they use to roost like hundreds on the same tree and "serenade me" with cacophony of difficult to describe noise even (rarely but it happens!!!) at 2 in the morning. Dawn and dusk it is regular crescendo:cry:. My wife says if she buys a gun it would be because of them (and I feel ignored):LOL:!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Weather has finally started cooperating around here, no rain or wind this weekend, so I finally got out in the kayak with the M6 MkII. I was testing the 100-400II with 2x MkIII converter. It seemed pretty finicky most of the time. If a shot was overexposed at all, or if it was just a very bright subject against a dark background, it would wash out - sometimes badly.

Sometimes, though, it worked just fine. Usually these guys are skittish, flying of as soon as they see someone so if I get a picture at all, it's usually tail feathers in flight. This one must have been super hungry, or just found a large fish supply and was in the zone - it didn't seem to mind me at all bobbing around and drifting closer and closer. Too close - actually had to zoom out to fit the bird in the frame.

M62_5208-C1.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Babou, my Yellow Crowned Night Heron buddy from last year, is back for another crab crunching season. Was a bit worried as last year 'he' had a large lump on one leg and seemed to favor it while walking but over time the swelling went down and now it isn't immediately noticeable unless you are looking for it. Babou likes long walks down the river, crabs on the half or full shell, and the occasional underbill scratch.
SDR13109-X5.jpg

1DX MK III w/600 f/4L II 1/1250 : f/14 : ISO 1000
SDR13108-X5.jpg

1DX MK III w/600 f/4L II 1/2500 : f/9 : ISO 1000

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My wife shouted there's a strange bird in the garden. I rushed into the room with camera and saw it was a Sparrowhawk devouring its prey. Got off a few shots through the horrible double glazing - as I have often said, I have never got a sharp shot through double glazing,and this was at iso 4000 on a high resolution sensor.
DSC_4731-DxO_sparrow_hawk-lsss.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0