Show your Bird Portraits

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
This was my first week out lookin for birds since last year due to mainly house construction but if this little guy is a Bkackpoll Warbler which I am 90 percent sure he is , he is a rare one.

Yes, it is a Blackpoll Warbler, great shot!

Jeremy

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Most shorebirds are very tame and I'm sure you know, that if you just sit still on the ground, they will walk right up to you. So the Buff-breasted, although rare to my area, was so close I had to take off my extender for a short time. Most likely a first year bird, with no prior human contact, but hung out at one of our busiest lake shore parks and was very tame. The majority of the others were at a sod farm, where they were between 75'-300'. So it really helps to have the 840mm! It's really tough shooting, because you're constantly fighting heat waves. I was surprised the Upland Sandpiper photos turned out at all, it was hot and humid and distortion was vey high. You can see it in the photos, but a few turned out ok. He was quite far away from the road, at least 75yds at all times Those things just destroy photos! I think we were rather lucky this year at the sod farm, because they turned over a few spots closer to the road. It's a country highway, with light traffic, so I just pull my truck over and shoot from drivers seat.

Well, here we have the problem with the Stilts - they use to alarm every body that there is a "monster" around! I have seen them actually chasing the other birds out when I try to approach! Just several seconds later they fly back and land in front of me! Still noisy but in front of me and short distance!!! All other birds (except may be the Rudy Turnstones but by far not always...) are already gone!!! When I came here I was really exited to see them but now they are pure nuisance for me! And they are in the same environment like the most of the rare visitors here... I mean if you want to take good photo of most of the rare migrants here you have to cheat not only the landscape but also the Stilts!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Well, here we have the problem with the Stilts - they use to alarm every body that there is a "monster" around! I have seen them actually chasing the other birds out when I try to approach! Just several seconds later they fly back and land in front of me! Still noisy but in front of me and short distance!!! All other birds (except may be the Rudy Turnstones but by far not always...) are already gone!!! When I came here I was really exited to see them but now they are pure nuisance for me! And they are in the same environment like the most of the rare visitors here... I mean if you want to take good photo of most of the rare migrants here you have to cheat not only the landscape but also the Stilts!!!

Yes, we have Black-necked Stilts at Horicon Marsh, and they are loud alarms. Otherwise, more commonly, Killdeer are the nuisance shorebirds that act as alarms for us. It's a real pain and I'd rather not even see those when I go out. I bought a pop up camo blind, but have never used it. I usually just walk around and hope for good views, which I usually get.

Jeremy

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I currently have about 105 Pine Siskins in my yard. It's been a growing number daily, since I had 13 on 9/23. I counted 92 and I'm guessing there are about 10-15 up in the trees yet. I have always seen a few in spring and fall, but this is crazy!!! Here are a few photos from the other day. I also did a post to my website about them, including 30+ photos, showing all the variations in color between them, if that interests you. Some are very yellow, others hardly any and still others are more whitish, with less steaking. This has been very exciting for me! 7D mkll / EF600 F4 ll / 1.4x lll.

Jeremy

Pine Siskin (fall) 100.jpgPine Siskin (fall) 102.jpgPine Siskin (fall) 105.jpgPine Siskin (fall) 120.jpgPine Siskin (fall) 121.jpgPine Siskin (fall) 129.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I currently have about 105 Pine Siskins in my yard. It's been a growing number daily, since I had 13 on 9/23. I counted 92 and I'm guessing there are about 10-15 up in the trees yet. I have always seen a few in spring and fall, but this is crazy!!! Here are a few photos from the other day. I also did a post to my website about them, including 30+ photos, showing all the variations in color between them, if that interests you. Some are very yellow, others hardly any and still others are more whitish, with less steaking. This has been very exciting for me! 7D mkll / EF600 F4 ll / 1.4x lll.

Jeremy

View attachment 193275View attachment 193276View attachment 193277View attachment 193278View attachment 193279View attachment 193280
Very nice. I usually have lots of them but this year just a very few. Is it just me or could my normal quota of various birds have dropped this year? NO shortage of robins though.

Jack

Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Very nice. I usually have lots of them but this year just a very few. Is it just me or could my normal quota of various birds have dropped this year? NO shortage of robins though.

Jack

Today I counted 165 Pine Siskins!!! It's crazy how many keep adding to the flock daily! I'm definitely catering them though, changing water daily, throwing food all over the ground and keeping feeders full. In Wisconsin, siskins are in an irruption year. I talked to one person up north, who usually hosts 50-100 siskins over winter, and he has over 900 of them right now! Hopefully I can keep several around and maybe even attract Common Redpolls. Right now, the finches are so noisy, they keep attracting others! Here is the winter finch report for this year, and a siskin report.

Jeremy

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Today I counted 165 Pine Siskins!!! It's crazy how many keep adding to the flock daily! I'm definitely catering them though, changing water daily, throwing food all over the ground and keeping feeders full. In Wisconsin, siskins are in an irruption year. I talked to one person up north, who usually hosts 50-100 siskins over winter, and he has over 900 of them right now! Hopefully I can keep several around and maybe even attract Common Redpolls. Right now, the finches are so noisy, they keep attracting others! Here is the winter finch report for this year, and a siskin report.

Jeremy
Thanks for that interesting read. Unlike other years the Robins have all but depleted my abundant Mountain ash trees berries. Generally these would be available much later for the Bohemians and Grosbeaks.

Jack

Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
It has slow the past few days but I did fid these two.
1 Northern Parula
2. Warbler , Jeremy can you help with this one please? Thanks

It is a female Prairie Warbler. I'm guessing you're in the SE area of the US? I have only ever seen males. They are rare in Wisconsin, so I don't see them very often. Only other time I get to see them, is in Florida during my February vacation. Very nice shot!

Jeremy

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0