Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I took out the R5 with the 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC at 560mm f/5.6. I really needed the 2xTC at 800mm as there were as usual only a couple of birds at quite a distance. I am still amazed how the eyeAF latched on to a tiny eye in a distant bird. Here is a Song Thrush and a Pied Wagtail, both upscaled to 800mm size (1/800s iso2000).

309A3396DxO_pied_wagtail-1_40x.jpg309A3382DxO_song_thrush-1_40x.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I thought I'd upload some shots to show how good the eyeAF on the R5 is - they are just to illustrate how the camera is able to locate the head of a distant bird that is just visible to the naked eye and partly obscured. They are from the 400mm f/4 with a 2xTC at 800mm and 1/800s. There are screenshots of the full image in DPP4 showing the red square of focus of the bird and the crops upsized 1.4x in Topaz Gigapixel as they are so small - pushing the lens to its limits.309A3476DxO_great_tit_crop-gigapixel-standard-scale-1_40x.jpg309A3458DxO_greater_spotted_woodpecker_crop-gigapixel-standard-scale-1_40x.jpg309A3434DxO_greenfinch_crop-gigapixel-standard-scale-1_40x.jpgGreat_tit.jpgGreater_spotted_woodpecker.jpgGreenfinch.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
First time for me here in Bird Portraits (for years). Now time to show some R5 shots.
Have these two to share:
1. Kingfisher - approx. 20m distance. R5 w. RF100-500mm + 1.4x TC. @ 700mm, 1/1250s, f/10, ISO 3200. I Like the bird's choice of perch in same colours.
2. Hawfinch in my backyard (taken through double glass window). Same gear @ 700mm, 1/320s, f/10, ISO 2500.
Sofar I am very happy with shift to mirror-less and R5 performance.

One thing that makes me wonder: Shooting through glass from my living-room is just fine (angle somewhat downwards). Shooting through similar (though a little older) glass from basement-level always produce unsharp photos (angle almost level). Very consistent phenomenon. Was the same for DSLR - and did not change with mirror-less.
Any explanations to offer?

Attachments

• _MG_2441-3.jpg
    _MG_2441-3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 163
  • _MG_4057 DPP-Edit-2.jpg
    _MG_4057 DPP-Edit-2.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I thought I'd upload some shots to show how good the eyeAF on the R5 is - they are just to illustrate how the camera is able to locate the head of a distant bird that is just visible to the naked eye and partly obscured. They are from the 400mm f/4 with a 2xTC at 800mm and 1/800s. There are screenshots of the full image in DPP4 showing the red square of focus of the bird and the crops upsized 1.4x in Topaz Gigapixel as they are so small - pushing the lens to its limits.View attachment 195550View attachment 195551View attachment 195552View attachment 195556View attachment 195557View attachment 195558
PLEASE Stop Already! (I'm already working hard to find things to sell, trying to be Extra Good around the house, and eating out of cans trying to put together the cash to move up to an R5!)
Beautiful photos, By the Way!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
First time for me here in Bird Portraits (for years). Now time to show some R5 shots.
Have these two to share:
1. Kingfisher - approx. 20m distance. R5 w. RF100-500mm + 1.4x TC. @ 700mm, 1/1250s, f/10, ISO 3200. I Like the bird's choice of perch in same colours.
2. Hawfinch in my backyard (taken through double glass window). Same gear @ 700mm, 1/320s, f/10, ISO 2500.
Sofar I am very happy with shift to mirror-less and R5 performance.

One thing that makes me wonder: Shooting through glass from my living-room is just fine (angle somewhat downwards). Shooting through similar (though a little older) glass from basement-level always produce unsharp photos (angle almost level). Very consistent phenomenon. Was the same for DSLR - and did not change with mirror-less.
Any explanations to offer?
If you really want to compare camera and lens performance with two windows, detach one of them on the hinges and put it next to the other one. Make them parallel and shoot the newspaper placed on the tree. Likely, the difference in window glass pane will be obvious. Your and mine eyes are not much affected as the photo will be. I think that the explanation is ratio of glass defect period vs. pupil diameter. We look through pencil size diameter straw and glass is sufficiently flat not to affect image sharpness. Lens picks all waviness in glass over its large pupil diameter.
Had similar problem with clear filter dia 77 on my lens, no sharp image regardless of AF microadjustment. Yet, same filter placed in front of 28 mm lens was fine.
All the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PLEASE Stop Already! (I'm already working hard to find things to sell, trying to be Extra Good around the house, and eating out of cans trying to put together the cash to move up to an R5!)
Beautiful photos, By the Way!

Hang in there, I'm doing much the same. Just tell yourself that with the conditions in the world at the moment there really is no need for a new camera and put your energies into planning how you're going to use it when there is. ;)

It is much easier to suppress a first desire than to satisfy those that follow.

Benjamin Franklin

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I've been very busy doing a job that got started 6 years ago so I have to thank the virus for that. I didn't notice that CR notices were not coming so I've fixed that AGAIN - why do I always have this happening to me!!:confused: No matter, being so busy helps suppress GAS and once the job is complete gives fuel to the "I deserve a reward", argument. (R5)

I'll now go back and look over the great photos I've missed.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hang in there, I'm doing much the same. Just tell yourself that with the conditions in the world at the moment there really is no need for a new camera and put your energies into planning how you're going to use it when there is. ;)

It is much easier to suppress a first desire than to satisfy those that follow.

Benjamin Franklin

Jack
I hope it works for you, not sure for some other guys... Honestly it's a combo that makes me (first time!!!) thinking about adding one more system to my backpack or simply switching... On other hand - there is regularly something popping up that makes you jealous (and your pockets lighter:) and it could be significantly lighter:confused:!) . Any way - that's the new (not so new actually - at all!) trend in photography but I'm comparing it with the old good times when you buy a good camera/lens(es) and you are practically done (ha, ha - you stupid you just think so:ROFLMAO: - at least in my case!).

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv, as humans we seem to be very motivated to "keep up with the Jones". Now the A1 came out I'm wondering what the R1 might bring given that I've kind of fallen for the 1 series while being totally dissatisfied with its resolution. The R5 is beyond what I ever expected so what rationale is there for looking beyond when I don't even make a living with this stuff?! Even I can answer that - Nada.:( Maybe it's Alan's bad influence on me.;) Or mine on him? :)

• Haha
Upvote 0