Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The images can be made full size one at a time or after uploading all, the whole batch. Play around with click inside the thumbnail until it asks you what to do, or at the end go to the dialogue line under the thumbnails and click on that.
Thanks Alan - I almost sent you personal message (I was pretty sure you will know what is going on!) when I notice you already posted some advise - and it works! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I bring it in every night after work and take it back out to my truck in the morning. I'm a pipe fitter, so I don't have the luxury of going into an office every day. If I had an inside job, then I would just take it into work with me. I try to keep the batteries warm if possible, but sometimes I can't. I notice the batteries really take a hit under 20 degrees F, but I've never had a problem. I used to miss too many birds not bringing it, so that's why I made the decision to always have it!

Jeremy
I have a very short ride to work, and also don’t have a decent storage area there. I also don’t want to leave it in the Northeast cold car during work due to the battery issue, and a having a visible camera/telephoto zoom lens in view.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My local dealer dropped round a Canon demo RF800 a couple of days ago for me to play with for a week. The weather has been awful here and f/11 hasn't helped. Initial tests with the R5 on charts at distance and close ups on a £10 note have shown that it gives similar image quality to my 400mm DO II +2xTC at a distance of 20m but gets worse at short distances and is soft at its mfd of 6m. Today I tried it out in a meadow behind my house at iso 3200. By good chance, the local Little Egret perched in a tree and I got a good sharp shot. And, far in the distance, I could see a Blackbird with what appeared to be something white. It turned out to be leucistic. It was really far away, but the 100% crop at iso3200 and pushed through 1 ev is pretty acceptable. However, a close up of a Robin, not shown, was disappointing and I would have got a much sharper shot from the 100-500mm. I'll try it out some more as hopefully there should be better weather this weekend.

309A8288-DxO_RF_Leucistic_Blackbird-isss.jpg309A8321-DxO_RF_800_Little_egret-lsss.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
@AlanF I really appreciate your continued exploration of various lens options. In my hands, the adapted EF 300 f/2.8ii and 2x TC yields best results but it is just so big and impactable to carry far. The adapted EF 100-400 mkii and 1.4x TC is an easier carry but moving to 2x drops the IQ too much. I am trying an RF 800 this weekend but, just using in my yard, I rapidly realize the issues with MFD and no zoom and f/11. I am certain that someday, the RF 100-500 with a TC and, when I know ahead of time, the combo of the 300 with TC will be a better solution. Now, I just need to out how to pay for it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Probably. Still no R5, R6 or RF lenses in our stores. Only overpriced ones on eBay are available. And B&H and Amazon do not ship these models to Qatar for some reason.
The 100-400 mm + 1.4xTC is pretty close to the 100-500mm at 500mm. Can’t see myself buying the RF 800.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Had to visit London this morning and managed to get 15 minutes in Regent's Park. Very cold and dull and had to shoot at iso4000 at 500mm f/7.1 on the R5. These are 100% crops from the centre of a Songthrush and a Great Tit straight out of DxO PL with no further noise reduction than its Deepprime. I don't know why some claim the R5 is noisy - it's easily controlled with decent software, and I posted these to show it.

309A8398-DxO_RF_500_songthrush.jpg309A8414-DxO_RF_500_great_tit-is60L-ss.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yet another sign of climate change:
Great white egrets usually live further to the south, esp. during the winter.
But since a few years they move further north and also stay resident here in Franconia.
Good for me, so I can get those pics below. Notice the ducks trying to photobomb this ;)

Egret_3.JPGEgret_4.JPGEgret_5.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0