Show your Bird Portraits

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I got a lot of 11 x 14" frames, and so I cropped all my recent photos to that size in case I want to drop them in to the frames. It's fun to pick a horizontal or vertical crop from the various images, which I consider a main "artistic" part of the whole image path. Occasionally I can't decide which orientation looks better, so I try both. Such is the case with two of the photos shown here. (by the way, there's no added red, saturation or contrast etc in this - it's all what came from the bird).

male Northern Cardinal:
View attachment 197716

View attachment 197717

View attachment 197718

View attachment 197719

View attachment 197720
Great shots, usern4cr. It’s tough to choose a preference.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Every bird image I've posted here is literally a back- (or front-) yard photo...except for a bald eagle atop the Dolphin Hotel at Disney World in Lake Buena Vista FL.

Seeing what the local birds (mostly cardinals, robins, wrens and sparrows) are up to with a decent telephoto lens and DSLR has proven to be a stimulating hobby...especially during the pandemic--I look at Canon Rumors virtually every day.

In the decade or so I've been paying attention and shooting pictures an indigo bunting has never graced our yard--until today (I think).

Not the best images...but good enough to identify an indigo bunting 'breeding male'.

Interesting to read that the indigo bunting is related to the northern cardinal (we see plenty of those).

And now, after reading our bird book a bit and learning about indigo buntings, I suspect I have come across a female/immature male indigo bunting in past years--I just didn't know what I was looking at.

In any event, a strikingly different-looking bird in this particular corner of the state of Illinois--it's blueness really stands out.

View attachment 197721

...now if only one or two of those pileated woodpeckers would stop by...
Definitely a striking colored bird. Hopefully one will appear in my viewfinder someday.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I bought it myself. Will arrive on monday or tuesday next week. The price was $15686 (instead of ordinary price $18703) translated from Swedish krona to US $.
It's going to be a fun summer :)
That sounds great! I hope you enjoy using it, and look forward to seeing your posted results.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
A Black-throated Gray Warbler showed up in Milwaukee again, consecutive years now!!! Last year a male and this year appears to be a 1st year female, as the yellow on the left side is in and on the right side is still coming in. Also, the black on her neck is just coming in too. Always great to get a very rare warbler in spring migration. This one brought me up to 34 warbler species for the spring, just in Milwaukee County!

Jeremy

Black-throated Gray Warbler (female-spring) 100.jpgBlack-throated Gray Warbler (female-spring) 101.jpgBlack-throated Gray Warbler (female-spring) 102.jpgBlack-throated Gray Warbler (female-spring) 104.jpgBlack-throated Gray Warbler (female-spring) 106.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
More warblers from yesterday...

Blackpoll Warbler (F)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (M)
Common Yellowthroat (M)
Mourning Warbler (F)
Nashville Warbler (F)
Northern Parula (M)
Tennessee Warbler (M)
Wilson's Warbler (M)

View attachment 197729View attachment 197730View attachment 197731View attachment 197732View attachment 197733View attachment 197734View attachment 197735View attachment 197736
Great shots, jmeyer. You’ve captured more warbler images than I could shake a branch at!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While taking some shots of bluebirds hunting, from the corner of my eye my subconscious noted a branch seemed 'off' so I looked closer. Turned out to be a Long Eared Owl, who let me take a few shots before heading higher into a pine tree. The sun popped through for about a minute giving me something besides the gloom in the sky. First time I've seen one in these forest though I've seen them in the nearby desert.
i-L4vd5F2-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/640 : f/8 : ISO 1000

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The texture and colouring of the Raven are superb. Nice composition.
Cheers mate. The extremely bold nature of these things makes them a pretty easy subject. I was actually shooting Black Swans at the time and he kind of waddled down and starred at me in contempt

Upvote 0