Show your Bird Portraits

I like photographing small birds with insects in their beaks on the way to their nests. Here's a wren, the other side of a pond where I was looking for dragonflies. R5 + 100-500.

View attachment 198593View attachment 198594

I like the Wren. They are not that common in Sweden that I can see/read, but occasionally in the southern part of my country. Will have my eyes open this summer. Would be nice to see- or hear one at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
What a beautiful image & smooth background for a 1st image from your new lens - Nicely done, macrunning!
Thanks usern4cr! Well it's the first posted image with the new lens. I've certainly been practicing and failed on a lot of them. I've had the lens for a couple days now and it hasn't left my camera. Lot's to practice with this focal range for sure. Now debating on 1.4 or 2x extender to go with it at some point. I'm open to anyone's thoughts on adding/using extenders.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks usern4cr! Well it's the first posted image with the new lens. I've certainly been practicing and failed on a lot of them. I've had the lens for a couple days now and it hasn't left my camera. Lot's to practice with this focal range for sure. Now debating on 1.4 or 2x extender to go with it at some point. I'm open to anyone's thoughts on adding/using extenders.
I have both the RF 1.4x and the RF 2x, and haven't used the 1.4 since buying the 2 - I either use the bare lens, mainly, and for extra length or resolution go straight to the 2x.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I have both the RF 1.4x and the RF 2x, and haven't used the 1.4 since buying the 2 - I either use the bare lens, mainly, and for extra length or resolution go straight to the 2x.
My only concern with the 2 is it limits you to basically taking photos in the middle of the day or your ISO will be pretty high. I know I can use Denoise/DxO/Photoshop but I'd like to try and find a way to use this lens when lighting conditions aren't perfect. The PNW is notorious for cloudy rainy days! And your images always impress AlanF!

Upvote 0
A female Violet-green Swallow taking a break from harassing a nesting White Breasted Nuthatch pair.
C15667A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/1000 : f/8 : ISO 800

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
My only concern with the 2 is it limits you to basically taking photos in the middle of the day or your ISO will be pretty high. I know I can use Denoise/DxO/Photoshop but I'd like to try and find a way to use this lens when lighting conditions aren't perfect. The PNW is notorious for cloudy rainy days! And your images always impress AlanF!
My only reply to your concerns is that if it's good enough for AlanF, I know it'll be good enough for you if you give it a try! (really!!)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0