Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My only concern with the 2 is it limits you to basically taking photos in the middle of the day or your ISO will be pretty high. I know I can use Denoise/DxO/Photoshop but I'd like to try and find a way to use this lens when lighting conditions aren't perfect. The PNW is notorious for cloudy rainy days! And your images always impress AlanF!
The disadvantages of 2x or 1.4x are narrower fields of view and slower AF. Don’t worry about the iso - the higher noise is offset by the higher magnification - in bright light the narrower aperture has negligble effect, in dim light at the very worst you can downsize. One of these days I’ll post a thread on it. The RF 2x is optically much better than the EF 2x, at least for the pair I and the TDP use.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
No doubt! He takes some great photos and so do you.
Thanks, macrunning. From my own experience with the RF 100-500, RF 800 and RF 1.4x TC, this is what I would do if I was starting from scratch with RF super teles with a limited budget to spend:
* Get the RF 100-500 and RF 2x TC.
* Don't get the RF 800 or RF 1.4x TC. The RF 800 has a great IQ and value for the money, but only for things beyond 6m distance, which is very limiting. The 1.4x doesn't give me enough extra reach to justify the trouble, especially since AlanF has had such great results with the 100-500 & 2x combo, which gives further reason not to need the 800 and 1.4x TC.
* Wait to see what Canon comes out with in RF super teles in case they have one that's even better and affordable to you, or consider a used EF super tele that fills that need.

It's really a great time (for me, an enthusiast) to be a Canon FF photographer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Thanks, macrunning. From my own experience with the RF 100-500, RF 800 and RF 1.4x TC, this is what I would do if I was starting from scratch with RF super teles with a limited budget to spend:
* Get the RF 100-500 and RF 2x TC.
* Don't get the RF 800 or RF 1.4x TC. The RF 800 has a great IQ and value for the money, but only for things beyond 6m distance, which is very limiting. The 1.4x doesn't give me enough extra reach to justify the trouble, especially since AlanF has had such great results with the 100-500 & 2x combo, which gives further reason not to need the 800 and 1.4x TC.
* Wait to see what Canon comes out with in RF super teles in case they have one that's even better and affordable to you, or consider a used EF super tele that fills that need.

It's really a great time (for me, an enthusiast) to be a Canon FF photographer.
Thanks for your honest evaluation. From what you and AlanF have recommended I've decided to go with the 2x extender and just placed my order! :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The disadvantages of 2x or 1.4x are narrower fields of view and slower AF. Don’t worry about the iso - the higher noise is offset by the higher magnification - in bright light the narrower aperture has negligble effect, in dim light at the very worst you can downsize. One of these days I’ll post a thread on it. The RF 2x is optically much better than the EF 2x, at least for the pair I and the TDP use.
Just done it! https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/extenders-and-high-iso-with-the-r5.40575/#post-898355

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thank You :)

But does every living bird have such a band? Can't recall seeing it before. Who does this? Anyone?
Not every bird but the birds in some research programs are getting it. And not only rings - the species of bird below is coming to the islands even more heavily equipped: many of them are "armed" with radio transmitter (actually in some flocks you have to look for one without antenna - just to take more "natural" shot. It's how it was proven they fly from Alaska to Hawaii (~4000 miles!) nonstop...
And since you already have that app - no need to write the name of the bird - that photo has everything needed for accurate ID (and it's easy!):)!

Numenius tahitiensis - Kioea 9_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not every bird but the birds in some research programs are getting it. And not only rings - the species of bird below is coming to the islands even more heavily equipped: many of them are "armed" with radio transmitter (actually in some flocks you have to look for one without antenna - just to take more "natural" shot. It's how it was proven they fly from Alaska to Hawaii (~4000 miles!) nonstop...
And since you already have that app - no need to write the name of the bird - that photo has everything needed for accurate ID (and it's easy!):)!

View attachment 198641
Here's a Condor high up in the Andes with a huge transmitter (5DSR + 100-400mm II +1.4x). The transmitter is so large that it is almost a feature.

3Q7A8581-DxO_condor-lsssSH.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

View attachment 198641
Even if an app can easily determine the name of a bird, it's still nice if people mention the name of the bird (if they know it and feel like mentioning it) when posting. If they happen to mention their lens as well it's also nice for those that are considering what lens to use or buy (well, I'm always interested in the lenses used at least). I happen to probably mention too many details (and too many similar photos) and am trying to pare that down. I guess it's nice that we all have our own styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice series, usern4cr.
a025.gif

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Even if an app can easily determine the name of a bird, it's still nice if people mention the name of the bird (if they know it) when posting. If they happen to mention their lens as well it's also nice for those that are considering what lens to use or buy (well, I'm always interested in the lenses used). To me, this information is easy to mention and is considerate to the viewers, so why not mention it?
On the first photo - Bristle-thighet Curlew. I took it with Nikon 200-500mm (not sure for the camera - most probably D7200).
Note the "bristles" hanging off it's thighs, there is no other Curlew with this feature. If the bird is in certain stage of molting you may not see the bristles and have to ID by other features...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Very nice series, usern4cr.
a025.gif
Wood Duck couple in aquatic plants
View attachment 198659
Thanks, Click. Also, I've never seen such vivid variety of colors as on Wood Ducks from others who post here, and now your lovely photo reminds me of how stunning those birds are. I haven't been enough of a birder to want to track down certain birds just to see them, but I think I'd enjoy the effort to see some Wood Ducks myself one day.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
On the first photo - Bristle-thighet Curlew. I took it with Nikon 200-500mm (not sure for the camera - most probably D7200).
Note the "bristles" hanging off it's thighs, there is no other Curlew with this feature. If the bird is in certain stage of molting you may not see the bristles and have to ID by other features...
Thanks for the info, ISv. (By the way, I just meant my post as a comment in general, and it wasn't any kind of expectation. It's nice that we have this & other threads to post images and thoughts in all the different ways we care to at the time)

Upvote 0