Show your Bird Portraits

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
So for the R5 users out there, I'm wondering if you ever experience issues with your photos and lines running across horizontally? I've been having this problem since I got the camera and noticed it with the RF 24-105 f/4 L and it's also appearing with the RF 100-500 L lens. So this leads me to believe it's a camera issue and not a lens issue. Below are both the processed image as well as a crop at 100% of the horizontal lines I'm referring to. Is this normal? If so is there a way to not have this happen? I've already had to send my R5 into Canon for an issue with it locking up just using the animal eye auto focus to track birds. they replaced the 'circuit board'. But that was all the details they gave me. Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.35.39 PM.pngTriColored Blackbird (16x9) - K1A6908.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
So for the R5 users out there, I'm wondering if you ever experience issues with your photos and lines running across horizontally? I've been having this problem since I got the camera and noticed it with the RF 24-105 f/4 L and it's also appearing with the RF 100-500 L lens. So this leads me to believe it's a camera issue and not a lens issue. Below are both the processed image as well as a crop at 100% of the horizontal lines I'm referring to. Is this normal? If so is there a way to not have this happen? I've already had to send my R5 into Canon for an issue with it locking up just using the animal eye auto focus to track birds. they replaced the 'circuit board'. But that was all the details they gave me. View attachment 198674View attachment 198675
Are you using full electronic shutter? What shutter speeds are you using? I've never seen anything that bad.

As far as locking up, I feel for you. Cameras shouldn't do this at all - I've heard too many say that it's happening to them with the R5.
Mine has never locked up, so I guess I just got lucky.
I hope that Canon has not started to cut corners in design or manufacturing.

As an aside, my profession was game design & programming of arcade games (and others). They designed the circuit boards with chips that were "out-of-spec" speed-wise for the big motherboard they built. In the factory, when certain boards wouldn't work, they'd swap chips in & out until they found combinations that worked and out the door they went!

Once, I tracked down an error when the main CPU sent data to the graphics CPU (both programmed by me). I hooked up maybe 80 or so wires on the motherboard on a big logic analyzer to track down the problem. Every once in a while (randomly) a single bit would be read incorrectly by the receiving CPU, which was enough to crash the system. I "proved" this beyond a doubt to the electrical engineer responsible. He just smiled, shrugged, and told me to "fix it". So for every byte of data that was received, I read it twice with a slight delay inbetween. If it read differently the 2nd time I would re-read it until it didn't - that trivial "trial" fix worked 100% and the factory lines kept rolling!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Are you using full electronic shutter?

As far as locking up, I feel for you. Cameras shouldn't do this at all - I've heard too many say that it's happening to them with the R5.
Mine has never locked up, so I guess I just got lucky.
I hope that Canon has not started to cut corners in design or manufacturing.

As an aside, my profession was game design & programming of arcade games (and others). They designed the circuit boards with chips that were "out-of-spec" speed-wise for the big motherboard they built. In the factory, when certain boards wouldn't work, they'd swap chips in & out until they found combinations that worked and out the door they went!

Once, I tracked down an error when the main CPU sent data to the graphics CPU (both programmed by me). I hooked up maybe 80 or so wires on the motherboard on a big logic analyzer to track down the problem. Every once in a while (randomly) a single bit would be read incorrectly by the receiving CPU, which was enough to crash the system. I "proved" this beyond a doubt to the electrical engineer responsible. He just smiled, shrugged, and told me to "fix it". So for every byte of data that was received, I read it twice with a slight delay inbetween. If it read differently the 2nd time I would re-read it until it didn't - that trivial "trial" fix worked 100% and the factory lines kept rolling!
Yes, I was using electronic shutter to give me the 20 fps. I've been trying to make sure it's just not me being a bad photographer but the more I use it the more I'm wondering if my R5 is a clunker! I get some good shots but I think I'm at about a 10% keeper ratio. Is there anything else in the R5 that impacts the auto focus system besides the 'circuit board'?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Here is another example. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this with their R5. I know this isn't a BIF thread but know many of you guys post in the BIF thread and also know this thread gets a lot more eye balls.

I've noticed it a few times but only on one shot I was really interested in using. Fortunately for me there was another frame in the batch which had an almost identical wing position and comp but still I know it is a possibility. The interesting thing is how it doesn't affect the entire image but only few feathers which makes me wonder if its related to shutter speed and the electronic shutter speed. The notable one was 1/2500 if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Here is another example. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this with their R5. I know this isn't a BIF thread but know many of you guys post in the BIF thread and also know this thread gets a lot more eye balls.View attachment 198676View attachment 198677
They look like a moire style false pattern issue due to specific interactions of shutter speed/readout speed and subject motion that are being exaggerated by sharpening to me. What do they look like with all sharpening turned off?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the info, ISv. (By the way, I just meant my post as a comment in general, and it wasn't any kind of expectation. It's nice that we have this & other threads to post images and thoughts in all the different ways we care to at the time)
It also helps if people leave the Exif data and not strip it out. I always state the camera and lens, and have the Exif data so those interested can download the image and read it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It also helps if people leave the Exif data and not strip it out. I always state the camera and lens, and have the Exif data so those interested can download the image and read it.
Hmmm ... I didn't think about downloading the image to see the Exif data. That's a good idea! Thanks, AlanF.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
They look like a moire style false pattern issue due to specific interactions of shutter speed/readout speed and subject motion that are being exaggerated by sharpening to me. What do they look like with all sharpening turned off?
You can notice it in the raw file before post production but obviously sharpening is going to amplify this. It pretty much only seems to happen with BIF type photos so I'm sure it has to do with the sensor readout. I'm usually shooting 1/3200th or faster with BIF photos in electronic shutter. Honestly just trying to find out if others are running into this problem or if it's just my camera. Since I've already had technical issues with the R5 I'm not feeling as confident with the quality of my particular camera. I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You can notice it in the raw file before post production but obviously sharpening is going to amplify this. It pretty much only seems to happen with BIF type photos so I'm sure it has to do with the sensor readout. I'm usually shooting 1/3200th or faster with BIF photos in electronic shutter. Honestly just trying to find out if others are running into this problem or if it's just my camera. Since I've already had technical issues with the R5 I'm not feeling as confident with the quality of my particular camera. I hope I'm wrong.
Well I’d do some specific repeatable tests. Something like stick a birds feather onto a fan, turntable, etc that rotates at a known speed, then go through your shutter speeds. If it is only 3,200th and up I’d test in electronic and mechanical and if you aren’t happy with the results, tell Canon, or better yet beg borrow or steal another R5 and see if the results are the same.

In the meantime I’d remove the sharpening from the worst affected areas and try hard not to let it get to me, nobody else will really notice it!

Upvote 0