Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice series, Alan. The 3rd one is a picture of FIF? :LOL:

Fish In Flight.
Yes, we need new threads! This is the opening post, and it's not being obeyed on a large number of accasions!
Post your Bird Portraits here :)

Parrots, Birds of Prey, Herons and all the others ... Just post your portraits here :)

The main idea of this topic is that the bird is clearly the main part component of the picture and that it is not a bird in flight or small bird on large tree or group shot ...

I will start with some of mine to start the whole :)
Have fun everyone and I hope to see many amazing shots soon:

American Bald Eagle von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

A colorful friend :) von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

American Bald Eagle 2 von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

Portrait of a Grey Heron in Regent's Park London von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

Vulture Portait von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I really love kingfishers.
FWIW and to give you a laugh :LOL:
I (less) proudly present my first picture ever of an Eurasian kingfisher (alcedo atthis)
I promise I'll to try to do better in the future. ;)

kingfisher_01_k.JPG
this is the 1:1 crop from this picture below. Happy searching ;)

kingfisher_01.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A picture from this morning, a Common Tern (Nonbreeding adult)
View attachment 200049
It's very nice photo Click!
Didn't you posted it initially like a Caspian Tern? I could be in huge mistake but it's what I somehow remember...
That massive bill, speckled forehead (only the juveniles of the common tern have something similar - without the massive bill!), adults of the Common are with ~white forehead + dark, relatively thin bill in the winter. In the summer they have black forehead and a red, off course also somewhat thinner bill with a dark tip.
The Caspian has that massive, always red bill, white streaked forehead in the winter (black in the summer).
And most importantly (except the size of the bird that we can't judge by the photo): the Common has a red legs and the Caspian has a black legs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I hope the main idea is not excluding some jokes time to time?
Didn't you posted it initially like a Caspian Tern? I could be in huge mistake but it's what I somehow remember...
That massive bill, speckled forehead (only the juveniles of the common tern have something similar - without the massive bill!), adults of the Common are with ~white forehead + dark, relatively thin bill in the winter. In the summer they have black forehead and a red, off course also somewhat thinner bill with a dark tip.
The Caspian has that massive, always red bill, white streaked forehead in the winter (black in the summer).
And most importantly (except the size of the bird that we can't judge by the photo): the Common has a red legs and the Caspian has a black legs.
One good tern deserves another.

• Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I (less) proudly present my first picture ever of a Eurasian kingfisher (alcedo atthis)

View attachment 200094

View attachment 200093
Here you are right: "sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly".
I just closed my eyes and clearly saw a kingfisher !!!!
On other hand I also have some photos of birds that I keep just to open new folder and hope to get something far better!

• Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
One good tern deserves another.
And one nice photo deserves a right ID!
Just imagine: I took a photo of you (good or not so...) and call it "XY" for example, (or your choice -any politician that you don't like!
I'm sure I gave you tons of choice :))!
Well, I'm sure the birds don't care - for good!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I (less) proudly present my first picture ever of a Eurasian kingfisher (alcedo atthis)

View attachment 200094

View attachment 200093
Even at that distance, it's clearly a kingfisher.
I wish covid would get under control and I could feel safe traveling... Otherwise, I'll never see one in North America.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

No, I didn't. But I agree with you, it is indeed a Caspian tern. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much. I will change the name at the top of the picture.

Thank you so much, ISv

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And one nice photo deserves a right ID!
Just imagine: I took a photo of you (good or not so...) and call it "XY" for example, (or your choice -any politician that you don't like!
I'm sure I gave you tons of choice :))!
Well, I'm sure the birds don't care - for good!
Even worse, there is a really ugly photo supposedly of me in a local paper - and it is of someone else.

Upvote 0