Show your Bird Portraits

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I haven't posted much lately, but I'm still out taking photos! The end of the year and new year brought a few rarities. A day after Christmas, a Tufted Duck showed up in Milwaukee and is only our 3rd state record. Then on New Year's Day, a Purple Sandpiper was found along Lake Michigan. A Ruddy Turnstone has also been hanging around the lakefront for several months and refuses to migrate south! I was able to see a Red-necked Grebe that was near breeding plumage and Waukegan Beach hosted a Small-billed Elaenia, which is from South America! Today, I found 3 Long-eared Owls too!

Jeremy

7D mkll / EF 600 F4 ll / 1.4x lll
Red-necked Grebe
Small-billed Elaenia
Tufted Duck

Red-necked Grebe (adult-fall) 100.jpgRed-necked Grebe (adult-fall) 103.jpgRed-necked Grebe (adult-fall) 105.jpgSmall-billed Elaenia (adult-fall) 100.jpgSmall-billed Elaenia (adult-fall) 105.jpgSmall-billed Elaenia (adult-fall) 107.jpgTufted Duck (female-winter) 101.jpgTufted Duck (female-winter) 102.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Here are the others... These birds I was so close too, that I couldn't use my 600, and had to switch to the 100-400. It is incredibly sharp, so I never mind anyway.

7D mkll / EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 ll
Long-eared Owl
Purple Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone

Long-eared Owl 112.jpgLong-eared Owl 113.jpgLong-eared Owl 114.jpgPurple Sandpiper (adult-winter) 100.jpgPurple Sandpiper (adult-winter) 101.jpgPurple Sandpiper (adult-winter) 113.jpgRuddy Turnstone (adult-winter) 105.jpgRuddy Turnstone (adult-winter) 108.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice series ISv! I really like the depth of field on these. Makes you feel like your right down in there with the bird. Good job.
Actually the reason for the DOF was the fast and rather erratic movement of the bird. I got plenty of photos with the pray by far not in focus...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here are the others... These birds I was so close too, that I couldn't use my 600, and had to switch to the 100-400. It is incredibly sharp, so I never mind anyway.

7D mkll / EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 ll
Long-eared Owl
Purple Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone

View attachment 201942View attachment 201943View attachment 201944View attachment 201945View attachment 201946View attachment 201947View attachment 201948View attachment 201949
Where did you take these photos - Wisconsin?

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I took my R5 out today, first time since the R3 arrived. so I took it out on todays walk at the park. I right away noticed that the R5 feels downright tiny and somewhat sluggish now. Still a joy to shoot with, but the EVF is noticeably slower to start and AF is not as snappy (predictably) as with its big brother. It also took me a while to get used to using electronic shutter without any sound...it never bothered me before, but after having it on one camera, I very much miss it on the R5. First world problems, I know!

Anyway, I got there before the golden light faded, and despite it being the coldest morning of this winter there were still a few birds around. A flock of these American Goldfinches were playing right next to the parking lot. Thanks to cold gusty conditions, and with these guys not sitting still for more than a few seconds at a time, I had more shots than usual lost to motion blur, but did manage a few keepers.

R5_103_7141_1_DxO_C1_Web.jpg

A little while later I heard my favorite bird screaming behind me. I turned and looked up just as it landed right next to the road. The nest is about 200-250 yards away from here. It basically just landed, surveyed the meadow then took off towards the nest tree. No sign of it's mate yet, but they reside in the park year round so it's only a matter of time.
R5_103_7448_1_DxO_C1_Web.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I took my R5 out today, first time since the R3 arrived. so I took it out on todays walk at the park. I right away noticed that the R5 feels downright tiny and somewhat sluggish now. Still a joy to shoot with, but the EVF is noticeably slower to start and AF is not as snappy (predictably) as with its big brother. It also took me a while to get used to using electronic shutter without any sound...it never bothered me before, but after having it on one camera, I very much miss it on the R5. First world problems, I know!

Anyway, I got there before the golden light faded, and despite it being the coldest morning of this winter there were still a few birds around. A flock of these American Goldfinches were playing right next to the parking lot. Thanks to cold gusty conditions, and with these guys not sitting still for more than a few seconds at a time, I had more shots than usual lost to motion blur, but did manage a few keepers.

View attachment 201978

A little while later I heard my favorite bird screaming behind me. I turned and looked up just as it landed right next to the road. The nest is about 200-250 yards away from here. It basically just landed, surveyed the meadow then took off towards the nest tree. No sign of it's mate yet, but they reside in the park year round so it's only a matter of time.
View attachment 201979
Look at those talons! Can’t wait to capture one of these (bald eagle)! Nice shot.

Upvote 0