Show your Bird Portraits

The males have orange neck feathers, he is a young male. Nice shot!

By "neck" do you mean gorget or nape? This one's nape (and whole dorsal side) was completely green (in contrast to most juvenile males). You may be correct, but this bird looks (to me) exactly like the drawing of an adult female in the Sibley Guide (Rufous females do have a central gorget whereas the [growing] gorget in young males is more spread out). Again, I'm not certain that it is an adult female.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
By "neck" do you mean gorget or nape? This one's nape (and whole dorsal side) was completely green (in contrast to most juvenile males). You may be correct, but this bird looks (to me) exactly like the drawing of an adult female in the Sibley Guide (Rufous females do have a central gorget whereas the [growing] gorget in young males is more spread out). Again, I'm not certain that it is an adult female.
Sorry , I guess throat would be a better term. They are similar to the Ruby Throated-Humming bird. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rufous_Hummingbird/id

Upvote 0
Sorry , I guess throat would be a better term. They are similar to the Ruby Throated-Humming bird. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rufous_Hummingbird/id

I notice that website did not really try to distinguish between juvenile males and adult females in some photos. Ruby-throated hummer females don't have a gorget at all. I'm still leaning towards adult female, but I am not always correct....

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I went out today with the R5 and 100-500mm and as usual saw nothing but on the way back some Barnswallows swooped around for a couple of minutes. Photographing these is an Olympic athletics event rather than photography. Two shots of juveniles followed by a burst on an older bird stitched together.
309A6024-DxO_Juvenile_Barn_swallow_flying-ls-sm-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg309A6232-DxO_juvenile_barn_swallow_flying-ls-sm--2_00x.jpgBarn_swallow_flying_blended-shm.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Well done, Alan.
a025.gif
Very nice bokeh on the second picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I went out today with the R5 and 100-500mm and as usual saw nothing but on the way back some Barnswallows swooped around for a couple of minutes. Photographing these is an Olympic athletics event rather than photography. Two shots of juveniles followed by a burst on an older bird stitched together.
View attachment 205236View attachment 205237
Alan, where did you take these photos?! I wander why the belly has that color (there are two subspecies with such/similar color but they are over East Mediterranean and Egypt). Or may be just reflection from the ground bellow/exposure? Nice, difficult shots!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, where did you take these photos?! I wander why the belly has that color (there are two subspecies with such/similar color but they are over East Mediterranean and Egypt). Or may be just reflection from the ground bellow/exposure? Nice, difficult shots!
A local field. They were members of the same family, I think, with adults that were quite dark underneath and deeply fork tails and juveniles lighter with forks not developed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0