Sigma 18-35 F1.8

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Yes, this was the conclusion drawn by DP Review in their in-depth review of this lens.
Awesome optics let down somewhat by AF gremlins.
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8

It's for just the same reasons I sold my pin-sharp Sigma 50mmf/1.4. When it nailed focus it was totally exquisite. For commercial work, it just couldn't be trusted being a match winner one minute and shocker the next. So it sat unused for most of the time in my store-room.

Let's hope Sigma can address these issues because they are on a very positive trajectory at the moment which should benefit every DSLR shooter on the planet. Like so many others I'm watching Sigma very closely from the sidelines, waiting for the imminent moment to get onto the field and join the party.

-pw

Upvote 0
the dock lets you make adjustments depending on subject distance and focal range. mine was frontfocusing really bad on the 18mm side at close distances but fine at infinity, on the 35mm side it was ok close but backfocusing at infinity. the dock has 4 distance settings and 4 zoom ranges 18,24,28,and 35 that you can make adjustments. its a lot of trial and error and a lot of lens on and off but it works. the infinity setting was the hardest to get right. try using live view and look at your focus scale, then switch to regular af and refocus, that will give you a starting point to see where it is off

Upvote 0