Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

Nov 17, 2011
Re: Sigma 35mm f/1.4

pdirestajr said:
I really love this lens for close focusing distances- perfect for hanging out with the kids. I'm always more into lying on the ground up close, rather than sitting across the room with a longer lens :)

Theo by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Awesome shot pdirestajr, the new sigma 35mm seems to be a winner to me.

+1...I ended up with Sony RX1 for odd angle shots. AF speed is not that fast, but I still managed to capture my kids in action.

Upvote 0
This lens has been my only non-L series lens for some time now and I have been very happy with it.

But over the last month or so, the number of out-of-fucus images has grown and yesterday, Christmas eve of all days, I was unable to get sharp focus with AF. I tested with MF and live view and could get the racer sharp images I used to get With AF. Something has happened. I am in a cabin in the mountains, so I have no tools to work with. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Upvote 0

pdirestajr said:
I really love this lens for close focusing distances- perfect for hanging out with the kids. I'm always more into lying on the ground up close, rather than sitting across the room with a longer lens :)

Theo by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Lovely shot. I have to agree with you. As a first time dad I enjoy getting up close to my one year old and preserve his cutest moments. I'm extremely happy with the pictures taken of my son. And it's priceless. I still use this more than my 24-70 2.8Lii.

Upvote 0
I have started using this lens as my walkaround lens and on certain days it is the only lens that sits on my 5D3.

Camping%20%287%20of%2040%29-XL.jpg

Camping%20%2836%20of%2040%29-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
I just got is lens, opened it 2 days before Christmas. I am blown away. It is sharp sharp, and lots of good contrast and color. I really like the 35mm field of view too; a lot more than I even thought I would.

Made one dummy error though. I was doing the post processing on my kids opening the gifts from Santa and I noticed some hellacious vignetting in top right and lower left. I was thinking I'd made a big mistake, and thinking how I might have trouble returning it because I got it grey market for $760. Then I thought about the lens hood. Sure enough I had not screwed it on all the way, and the longer petals were on those 2 corners, and not on the top and bottom like they are supposed to be. Problem solved. Duh.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

pdirestajr said:
This lens has become my default walk-around lens these days. Even rocking in terrible-light-midday-sun.

Water by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

The bokeh is a bit unsettling in this one, but quite possible it would have been no matter what lens was used. These are all very nice work! Do you ever have any issues with autofocus accuracy, or any other problems Sigma is constantly slammed for? (I'm a sigma fan...)

Upvote 0