sigma 85 1.4 focus problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Sigma 85 1.4 about 8 months ago and am looking for feedback from other users. It focuses fine at longer distances, but at or near the close focus limit it hunts continuously and will not autofocus. I have to switch to manual focus to shoot close subjects. Is this just a quirk of my copy or does this happen to others? I am using a 5D2, which I know is not the fastest focusing camera, but I have it locked on center focus point and this problem happens even with still subjects (and does not happen with any other lens).

Also, is this something Sigma would or could fix under warranty if I contact them? (I will likely try anyway, just wondering if anyone else has done this with success).

Sigma's 50 and 85 1.4 do for some reason not cope well with the full frame cameras. I had a 50 once and its focus was completely off, and even differently when focusing in near or far distance so you couldn't fix it by manual alignment via the camera menu. Sigma can certainly adjust that for you, but you might need to send in your body as well so they can adjust the lens to your body specifically.

Upvote 0
florianbieler.de said:
Sigma's 50 and 85 1.4 do for some reason not cope well with the full frame cameras. I had a 50 once and its focus was completely off, and even differently when focusing in near or far distance so you couldn't fix it by manual alignment via the camera menu. Sigma can certainly adjust that for you, but you might need to send in your body as well so they can adjust the lens to your body specifically.

mine cope just fine with my full frame cameras...

my 85 when i got it was heavily front focusing sent it in and a week later it came back spot on and has been perfecet ever since. so yeah try send it in for adjustment

I do know what you mean about at min focus distance its kind of sounds like the AF motor is having an epileptic fit just back off a bit and it will stop doing it

The new 35mm does not seem to do this which is interesting too

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.