SIGMA to start producing RF mount lenses in 2021

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I think their 14-24 and 24-70 F2.8 would make a huge impact. From all the reviews I've seen it seems especially the latter is as good as all the "native" mirrorless 24-70 F2.8 (which are all amazing), so having that at $1100 would be great over the RF.

I'm just glad that Sigma made their lenses for L mount which has the same flange distance as RF. The Tamrons for FE might struggle with that depending on the design of the back element.
I'm guessing the pricing will be higher....since the RF pricing is higher than the EF pricing, we'll see 3rd parties follow suit. But still should be a discount to the Canon native glass.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm guessing the pricing will be higher....since the RF pricing is higher than the EF pricing, we'll see 3rd parties follow suit. But still should be a discount to the Canon native glass.

-Brian

I highly doubt it. This is just a mount swap for these lenses, rather than a new design. Sigma already has these dedicated mirrorless designs, and they are the same for both E-mount and L-mount. Don't see any reason why the RF mount ones would be any different. If they add a control ring, they might have a very slight premium, but it won't be a big jump.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hoping for an RF equivalent of the 14mm F1.8 Art. If it has a control ring, I’d preorder it right away!

Hopefully a bunch of other lenses will help getting the RF price mark-up down
As a nightscape shooter, I would pick up the 14mm f/1.8 if they made an equivalent version in the RF mount.

ML

Hopefully with the reduced RF/Z mount flange distances, they can reduce coma in the corners wide open.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
What would you use the 24 f/3.5 for that requires macro? The distance between the front of the lens and the subject must be extremely small.

For extreme macro work - I used to use a Nikon Multiphot for macro work, here are some lens descriptions explaining their uses...

Macro-Nikkor 19mm f/2.8

The Macro-Nikkor 19mm f/2.8 is designed for 15x-40x, (marked 20x on the lens barrel)
This lens has a RMS microscope screw mount, so an adapter to Nikon-F has to be obtained. Typically, this lens is used in the studio on a tripod, as the working distance is only about 20mm or so.

Macro-Nikkor 35mm f/4.5

The Macro-Nikkor 35mm f/4.5 can be used on a standard DSLR, although it too is designed for high magnifications, optimized 8x – 20x, but marked 12x on the lens barrel. Mounted directly on a Nikon body, with the camera on a focus rail. This lens has a RMS microscope screw mount, so an adapter to Nikon-F has to be obtained.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2012
For Sigma RF zoom lenses, I wish that zoom rotation direction is the Canon way and not the Nikon way. When shooting fast sports with a “wrong way” Sigma zoom, I always struggled to achieve good flow and couldn’t stand it in the long run. It was like trying to ride one of those impossible bicycles with opposite steering. Less of an issue with usages that aren’t time critical.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I think only their mirrorless designs are worth using on RF cameras. The DSLR ports are super awkward on E-Mount or L-Mount.

With that being said, their DN mirrorless lenses are brilliant. Their 24-70mm f2.8 DN is beautiful, as is their 85mm f1.4 - smaller and more lightweight (by a long shot) than their DSLR equivalents.

But I think their new "i" line is the most brilliant lens lineup yet. I love them: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/special/i-series/ - can't wait for these to be available for RF Mount. Those alone are almost worth using L-Mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2020
For Sigma RF zoom lenses, I wish that zoom rotation direction is the Canon way and not the Nikon way. When shooting fast sports with a “wrong way” Sigma zoom, I always struggled to achieve good flow and couldn’t stand it in the long run. It was like trying to ride one of those impossible bicycles with opposite steering. Less of an issue with usages that aren’t time critical.
Hasn’t Sigma always used the Canon rotation direction? I hope they simply use the Nikon way for Z and Canon way for RF...

Upvote 0
Hasn’t Sigma always used the Canon rotation direction? I hope they simply use the Nikon way for Z and Canon way for RF...

With the mirrorless designs (their DN lenses), you could always choose the rotation direction in the menus (at least on Panasonic cameras). But yes, Sigma's lenses have always been the Canon rotation.

Upvote 0
I think only their mirrorless designs are worth using on RF cameras. The DSLR ports are super awkward on E-Mount or L-Mount.

With that being said, their DN mirrorless lenses are brilliant. Their 24-70mm f2.8 DN is beautiful, as is their 85mm f1.4 - smaller and more lightweight (by a long shot) than their DSLR equivalents.

But I think their new "i" line is the most brilliant lens lineup yet. I love them: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/special/i-series/ - can't wait for these to be available for RF Mount. Those alone are almost worth using L-Mount.
I agree. Great to adapt their current EF mount lenses so I don't see the point of RF mount without the control ring. The real question is whether they can use the RF protocol and not fall back on the EF protocol (even with RF mount). Changing the zoom direction should be simple in that case and with built-in gyro IS to complement IBIS.
For the price difference, you can weld an adapter onto a Sigma EF lens and still be ahead.
If they can't do this then the only advantage for RF lenses would be compact primes/pancakes as the current Canon EF40mm + adapter is twice the length and size as the pancake itself.

Upvote 0
A smaller 50mm 1.4 hsm with rf mount would be nice
They could stick an RF mount on the back of the old 50/1.4 EX design and I'd buy it. Loved that lens, would still be using my EF mount version if it hadn't gone bad (one of the elements has become badly decentered and its unusable at large apertures). Updated AF would be great too of course.

Upvote 0