Smartphone picture quality is amazing now! Watch out Canon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
They will be good enough for many non photographers who want a snapshot. How do they do with shallow depth of field, or low light?

I've nothing against them, they have their place.

If you want to see real world camera phone photos, check out Craigslist. Blurry, usually too dark, in a word, awful. Those are the photos that most camera phone users get.

Given the right lighting, and a distant subject where everything is in focus, they can take good looking images.

Upvote 0
i think once you know how to use them and where the strengths and weaknesses are they perform well and will certainly in the near future be the death of the compact point and shoot
it is extremely easy to take blurry photos with a camera phone i found a free little timer app for the iphone which i find helps alot to take clear shots just need to find something to prop balance it on as a makeshift tripod
once they get on top of the shocking ISO from camera phones they will improve alot

Upvote 0
C

CanonFanNum1

It's just funny to watch people try to take ridiculous pictures with smartphones. Yes, casual pictures they do fine. But surfers 100 yards away with stop action? What do they expect to get? I guess at best you can get a landscape with a tiny surfer in it... I think 99% of people who don't have SLRs have no idea what they're missing out on.

The 1080p video comparison between iPhone4S vs 5DmkII is slightly more reasonable, even though the 5DmkII is still far superior thanks to lens selection and much better iso range (to say the least). But as action photography goes, smartphones are a joke.

Upvote 0

92101media

The advantages of a smartphone cameras are:
- they are always on you (following the maxim that the best camera is the one you always have on you at the time)
- take decent quality pics when available light is good enough
- easy social media integration
- some of the OEM smartphone camera apps now have a decent number of features
- 3rd party camera apps like Photoshop Express, PicSay, PicPush etc. can extend that functionality

Just a few of the disadvantages are:
- fixed focal length
- lower dynamic range
- worse IQ in low light conditions
- controls not as easy to use as a DSLR that has dedicated buttons for many features

However, for quick snapping of pics for uploading to social media sites, or for capturing one off opportunities where it's the only camera you have on hand, smartphones cameras are useful.

Upvote 0

92101media

Since I just upgraded my smartphone a few weeks ago, I did some research on which smartphones had the best cameras & IQ, as that was one (among many) of the considerations for me.

People interested in camera IQ as one of the key features when purchasing a new smartphone may find this recent comparison reviewing smartphone camera IQ by PC World interesting:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241955/smartphone_camera_battle_iphone_4s_vs_the_android_elite.html

I believe some Nokia smartphones have 12MP cameras built in, that are the best currently available built into a smartphone, but the Nokia didn't suit my needs as far as some of the other critical smartphone features are concerned, so I opted for a Samsung Galaxy SII, as it was a better overall match for my needs/wishes, and still had one of the better cameras currently available in a smartphone.

Upvote 0
C

CanonFanNum1

92101media said:
Since I just upgraded my smartphone a few weeks ago, I did some research on which smartphones had the best cameras & IQ, as that was one (among many) of the considerations for me.

People interested in camera IQ as one of the key features when purchasing a new smartphone may find this recent comparison reviewing smartphone camera IQ by PC World interesting:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241955/smartphone_camera_battle_iphone_4s_vs_the_android_elite.html

I believe some Nokia smartphones have 12MP cameras built in, that are the best currently available built into a smartphone, but the Nokia didn't suit my needs as far as some of the other critical smartphone features are concerned, so I opted for a Samsung Galaxy SII, as it was a better overall match for my needs/wishes, and still had one of the better cameras currently available in a smartphone.

This is like asking which is faster, a Honda Civic or a Ford Focus? It's like an illegal question. For all practical purposes, they are equally inferior.

Or alternatively, why not ask if you should buy New Balance or Nike shoes to walk from New York to Los Angles. Get on a plane, get on a train, or get in your car. Could you walk that distance? Sure, it'll take you a while.

Yes, they are handy for casual shots. But why are we comparing smartphone camera quality for casual shots? Comic amusement I suppose.

Upvote 0
As comedian, Steven Wright, says, "Every place is walking distance -- if you have the time."

Anyway, it's a good thing you're warning Canon to watch out on this; they probably haven't been paying attention to such things. Probably not a bad idea to shoot off a letter to their executive offices in Japan.

Seriously, in the areas of sensor development, there is more research and development directed at cell phone sensors than any other segment -- the companies competing in that world know where the future is from a volume and profit perspective.

CanonFanNum1 said:
Or alternatively, why not ask if you should buy New Balance or Nike shoes to walk from New York to Los Angles. Get on a plane, get on a train, or get in your car. Could you walk that distance? Sure, it'll take you a while.

Upvote 0
This is an advertisement. For a lens rental place. At the end the guy with the best photos is shooting a Canon DSLR with a 500mm f4 IS. The people shooting with cell phones are.... in an advertisement. Actors? People shooting casual shots? Not under any illusion that their photos will look like the guy with $10K+ in equipment?

Does Canon Rumors allow advertising like this?

Did you take this seriously?

Upvote 0
Hmmm... OP's post got removed... spamming, I see!!! Anyway, my brother told me that smart phones "take better pictures" than my XSI (which I no longer use, because of my 7D). I explained shallow DOF, ISO... he remained a little clueless, but began to get it, onst I removed the advertising veil from his eyes...

Tiny sensors cannot beat ASP-C. They will never get there!!!

Upvote 0
C

CanonFanNum1

AprilForever said:
Hmmm... OP's post got removed... spamming, I see!!! Anyway, my brother told me that smart phones "take better pictures" than my XSI (which I no longer use, because of my 7D). I explained shallow DOF, ISO... he remained a little clueless, but began to get it, onst I removed the advertising veil from his eyes...

Tiny sensors cannot beat ASP-C. They will never get there!!!

Not spam... It did have a small ad at the end and somebody complained. It was just a satire about how most people over-analyze camera phones which are far cry from what a good Canon SLR can offer.

Upvote 0
S

Steve Campbell

It's starting to amaze me seeing people on vacations and places they may never get to again, taking all thier shots with cellphone cameras. I went on a whale watching boat tour this year, my second one actually because the first provided no sightings. I'm local and can go on one of these tours anytime. Of course I still have to drive a half hour, buy a ticket, take the time etc. There are only so many places in the world where you can see humpback whales up close like this. The boat was clearly full of tourists who have come from around the world to see this amazing spectacle. In addition to the whales there are dolphins, puffins, other sea birds, amazing shorelines etc. So, what are most people using to record these often once in a lifetime trips? Smartphone cameras! You travelled all the way to Newfoundland, Canada, were lucky enough to get some whale sightings and this is how you are recording your memories! A trip like that, with what it costs deserves something better than a smartphone camera IMO.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.