Solar eclipse diamond ring

Nov 1, 2012
Solar eclipse diamond ring

thumb_93848-230817195252.jpeg

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=247

Mar 25, 2011
tpatana said:

Thats the moment that my camera went bonkers. It suddenly took 4 washed out images with very long exposures reducing the exposure each time, then hung. It was supposed to start with a short exposure and inc crease it to get 7 bracketed exposures. All 4 are washed out raw images that cannot be recovered.

This is the last one that came out.

Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Mt Spokane - At least you have an equipment excuse. In my haste to set up I forgot to tape the focus ring and ended up with no useable images of totality (I stayed overnight too far from site and had to contend with I-5 traffic in the morning, plus tired from drive on the day before - made it to the site 7 minutes before first contact). However, totality was spectacular visually and I believe far better than any photograph can manage. Here's one of my OOF diamond rings.

Attachments

• 1F3A3053.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
Here's mine:

Diamond ring.. From 6 miles from Albany OR. I've seen better diamonds and worse.

Equipment for anyone interested for "next time" canon 100-400 w 1.4ext and marumi filter. I had a second camera set up with a Thousand Oaks filter, but forgot to take the filter off at full eclipse.

Attachments

• 8 21 17 eclipse full diamond .JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
Athens Tennessee. I think these might technically be Baily's Beads.

Can't remember the last time I was so flumoxed while taking photos. I just wasn't prepared for how disorienting and dark it would be during totality.

Had to swap bodies at totality and I barely got it done in time. Pics came out ok though and I don't seem to have damaged any of my gear or my vision.

Glad I had everything set up in advance. I never would have been able to correct on the fly.

edit 8/31/17: Had a PM regarding the specs on this image so I thought I'd include here as well. Not sure anybody is paying attention to this as Harvey has mostly eclipsed interest in the eclipse.

Shot with a 1DX2 with a 100-400L IS II plus 1.4x ext. I was doing auto brackets of 7 exposures at 2 stop intervals. This is the least exposed image of this series. 1/4000th @f11 and an ISO of 400. Although its been edited a bit for aesthetics it's similar to the original raw. It's also a pretty significant crop and clipped just a bit at the top end but all of the other exposures show significant clipping and look quite different. More like the Diamond Ring shots.

Attachments

• Baily'sBeads-1.jpg
    Baily'sBeads-1.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Graphic.Artifacts said:
Athens Tennessee. I think these might technically be Baily's Beads.

Can't remember the last time I was so flumoxed while taking photos. I just wasn't prepared for how disorienting and dark it would be during totality.

Very nice image!

I had a similar experience. I practiced shooting the sun several times times and had gone through my setting and set-up in advance, but when totality hit, I was a bit overwhelmed. I missed the first diamond ring and struggled to get my totality settings dialed in (even though I had custom settings pre-programmed, they were 3-4 stops off). I didn't want to spend all my time with the camera, so stopped for about a minute during mid totality and just observed.

Upvote 0
Yep. Sounds familiar. Looking back I'm not sure it was worth switching from crop to full frame for the totality. I did manage to quit fussing with the camera for a few seconds and look at the eclipse. Totally mesmerizing. If I get the chance to see another one I'm not sure I would try to photograph it again. The pic's are cool but I wish I taken a little more time to enjoy the moment.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Graphic.Artifacts said:
Yep. Sounds familiar. Looking back I'm not sure it was worth switching from crop to full frame for the totality. I did manage to quit fussing with the camera for a few seconds and look at the eclipse. Totally mesmerizing. If I get the chance to see another one I'm not sure I would try to photograph it again. The pic's are cool but I wish I taken a little more time to enjoy the moment.

I promised myself, and told some friends, that when totality hit I would quit taking pictures and just enjoy the experience. Stupidly I broke that promise. I hastily unscrewed the filter, tried taking a few shots, used my little camera to photograph the crowd, looked at the eclipse with my eyes, looked around at the crowd and the darkness. I missed looking at the sunset around the horizon. I didn't see any planets, though one appears to show up on three of my shots. Where I was, totality was just under two minutes, it seemed like ten seconds I was so busy. I wound up taking five pictures during the totality. The last one accidentally got a diamond ring:

total5.jpg

Upvote 0